Re: [TexasCzechs] Texas Independence Day

  • Nangotoo
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 3, 2007
      I was born and raised in CA and we learned all about the Alamo and TX independence out here way back when!  Of course, having a dyed-in-the-wool Texan for a mom who made sure we cut out teeth on Texas history ( and went to the Alamo every summer we went to TX), I already knew about it when we got around to studying about the history of TX in elementary school.  We studied history, geography and Gov't all through school.  Nowadays the kids don't have history as a subject beyond middle school, I believe.  So sad that children are missing out on so much that they used to teach us. I just can't figure out why some districts and states don't think that history is very important for high school students.  Sigh.  Its still one of my favorite subjects.

      Nan

      Today is Texas Independence Day. Remember when this was actually known in Texas schools? I bet Cinco de Mayo is taught & celebrated now.

      .

    • paulasmaggie
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 3, 2007
        --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "Nangotoo" <nangotoo@...> wrote:
        >Someone (cannot remember who) talked about how history repeats it
        self. We should study and learn from it. It is up to us grown-ups
        now to teach our children history. Just like it is up to us to pass
        on our "family history" warts and all. This way our kids can
        appreciate what it took to come over here and start a new life. Now
        days it seems some kids (not all) just do not get it. I think a
        healthy does of ones family history would help a lot of kids
        understand life and appreciate it better. pfoster
        > I was born and raised in CA and we learned all about the Alamo and
        TX independence out here way back when! Of course, having a dyed-in-
        the-wool Texan for a mom who made sure we cut out teeth on Texas
        history ( and went to the Alamo every summer we went to TX), I
        already knew about it when we got around to studying about the
        history of TX in elementary school. We studied history, geography
        and Gov't all through school. Nowadays the kids don't have history
        as a subject beyond middle school, I believe. So sad that children
        are missing out on so much that they used to teach us. I just can't
        figure out why some districts and states don't think that history is
        very important for high school students. Sigh. Its still one of my
        favorite subjects.

        > Nan
        >

        > Today is Texas Independence Day. Remember when this was actually
        known in Texas schools? I bet Cinco de Mayo is taught & celebrated
        now.
        > .

      • Nangotoo
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 3, 2007
          I often quote that same thing to members of my family--especially the younger ones.  I totally agree with you and that's the main reason I've been doing our family histories for over 30 yrs.  I want my sons, their cousins and all of their children to know from whom they came from and their stories.  I know that when my cousin wrote her book on my paternal side of the family, I was totally glued to that book for days.  I've re-read it many times since then and have even expanded on her research.  It was because of her research and the book that inspired me to step up my research.  It takes a lot of time and patience to do it correctly, but its worth it every time I find a new name or another fact.  :-)
          Nan

          >Someone (cannot remember who) talked about how history repeats it
          self. We should study and learn from it. It is up to us grown-ups
          now to teach our children history. Just like it is up to us to pass
          on our "family history" warts and all. This way our kids can
          appreciate what it took to come over here and start a new life. Now
          days it seems some kids (not all) just do not get it. I think a
          healthy does of ones family history would help a lot of kids
          understand life and appreciate it better. pfoster

          .

        • MADELYN DUSEK
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 3, 2007
            Nan,
            Actually, the state of Texas requires four years of social studies in high school.  They are World Geography, World History, American History ( Part II, Part I was taken in middle school), as well as Government and Economics - 1/2 year each as seniors.  Students must pass the 11th grade/EXIT social studies TAKS test to receive a high school diploma - along with passing all of the other EXIT-level TAKS tests - English/Language Arts, Science and Math.  If you click on the link below,  you should be able to view released TAKS exams, and I think that you might be surprised at what these students must know to pass these tests  You can actually take the tests and the computer will give you your score.
             Good Luck!

            Madelyn

[...]

          • Rochelle Bubenik Kinter
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 3, 2007
              When I was in the 7th grade, we had an entire year of Texas History. It was my most favorite subjects and still is. Today, in Austin, I took my kids to the parade and it was a great learning experience. After that, we walked over to the Texas History Museum. On the way, we detoured through the capital. What a fun day!
              -Rochelle

              http://www.tea.state.tx.us/student.assessment/resources/release/index.html

[...]

              []

              Checked by AVG Free Edition.