Re: [TexasCzechs] FW: On behalf of Bernard Gaas

  • Lolly
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2007
      Hi Bernard,

      I knew somebody just had to know something about Al Kubena. Yes,
      I remember Dorothy's name now. I was a high school kid then and she
      was 'Mrs. Kubena' to me. She was very pretty. She used to accompany
      us on many of our band trips. She would sit right behind Al, who always
      drove the bus.

      I wish that I had known Dorothy was a Kolache Queen in Caldwell.
      I went to my first Caldwell Kolache Festival two years ago. It was really
      fun. My little granddaughter entered the kolache eating contest in the
      girl's
      youth group. She didn't win, but she ate almost four kolaches in record
      time. I was really proud of her as she was a little bitty thing.
      Don't know
      where she put all those kolaches. :-) She and my daughter were visiting
      from Tennessee that year, but they have since moved to College Station,
      and we plan to go to the Caldwell festival again come September. Any
      of you other 'Czechsters' plan to be there?

      I was sorry to hear that Al kubena died as a young man. I have thought
      of him many times over the years and always wondered what became
      of him. Do you know if he and Dorothy had children?

      Thanks for the compliments about the WCHS band. I was always very
      proud to be in it. I'm glad you enjoyed seeing us in the parades. The
      only time I wasn't happy to be in it was one year when we marched in
      a parade from the east side of Richmond to the west side of Rosenberg.
      Those towns weren't as large then as they are now, but it seemed like
      a long way, especially as we marched down the highway, with nothing
      but fields on either side between the two towns. :-) It was very hot that
      day too.

      Pat, thanks for forwarding Bernard's message.

      Lolly