On behalf of Bernard Gaas

  • Pat Lyon
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 28, 2007
      My cousin Bernard was having trouble posting this and asked me to, so here
      it is. Nice memories.

      Hi Lollie,
      Nice story Lottie, about your favorite teacher there in West Columbia, Hi.
      Back in those days, , I lived near Bay City,, where they had the annual Rice
      Festival. The best part was the hour long parade which always included
      Hi School bands, and I always liked to watch Band director Albert
      Kubena and his West Columbia Hi School band in the parade.. Yes, I saw you
      guys there many times. Albert was such a fine looking band leader and
      the band looked and performed splendidly.. I knew Al Kubena
      because we lived in the community of
      Frenstat , Which was near Dime Box. Alberts beautiful wife, Dorothy
      Pivonka, also comes from Hi Prairie, which was a stones throw from
      Frenstat.. I feel certain that I was an altar boy at their wedding.
      Anyway, I used to think Dorothy and her sister ,
      Gerldine, were the prettiest girls there were.!! Must remind you here,,
      that Albert Kubenas wife, Dorothy was the Kolach Queen at the Kolach baking
      Festival in Caldwell, several times. Some of you surely remember that
      Albert and Dorothy retired to The
      Deanville or Dime Box area, where Albert died while still a young man..

      My recollections of Dime Box are when the Catholic Church there was a
      mission to Frenstat's Holy Rosary Parish. Father Matl from the Frenstat
      Parish, ministered to both parishes and the muddy roads sometimes were
      almost impassable, especially on the 1934 model Plymouth coupe that Father
      Matl drove, so Mr. Clement Sobotik always drove him in his 1930 Model A
      Ford when
      the weather made the roads almost impassable.. The mud roads were no
      problem for this Ford!

      Dime Box was largely, a Breathern community, in the beginning, from the
      size of their cemeteries, Although, the catholic church there has had
      their own pastor for lots of years. Happy
      Memories.............................

      Bernard Gaas

      bernard.gaas@...

      3:24 PM
    • paulasmaggie
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2007
        --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "Pat Lyon" <patsroar@...> wrote:

        > My cousin Bernard was having trouble posting this and asked me to,
        so here
        > it is. Nice memories.

        Bernard, Thank-you for a sweet story. From reading the stories
        lately I would say a lot of memories were made in the dance halls of
        Central Texas. I bet a lot of couples met and fell in love in those
        dance halls. If only the walls could talk. pfoster

        > Hi Lollie,
        > Nice story Lottie, about your favorite teacher there in West
        Columbia, Hi.
        > Back in those days, , I lived near Bay City,, where they had the
        annual Rice
        > Festival. The best part was the hour long parade which always
        included
        > Hi School bands, and I always liked to watch Band director
        Albert
        > Kubena and his West Columbia Hi School band in the parade.. Yes,
        I saw you
        > guys there many times. Albert was such a fine looking band
        leader and
        > the band looked and performed splendidly.. I knew Al
        Kubena
        > because we lived in the community of
        > Frenstat , Which was near Dime Box. Alberts beautiful wife,
        Dorothy
        > Pivonka, also comes from Hi Prairie, which was a stones throw
        from
        > Frenstat.. I feel certain that I was an altar boy at their
        wedding.
        > Anyway, I used to think Dorothy and her sister ,
        > Gerldine, were the prettiest girls there were.!! Must remind
        you here,,
        > that Albert Kubenas wife, Dorothy was the Kolach Queen at the
        Kolach baking
        > Festival in Caldwell, several times. Some of you surely
        remember that
        > Albert and Dorothy retired to The
        > Deanville or Dime Box area, where Albert died while still a
        young man..

        > My recollections of Dime Box are when the Catholic Church there
        was a
        > mission to Frenstat's Holy Rosary Parish. Father Matl from
        the Frenstat
        > Parish, ministered to both parishes and the muddy roads
        sometimes were
        > almost impassable, especially on the 1934 model Plymouth coupe
        that Father
        > Matl drove, so Mr. Clement Sobotik always drove him in his
        1930 Model A
        > Ford when
        > the weather made the roads almost impassable.. The mud roads
        were no
        > problem for this Ford!
        >
        > Dime Box was largely, a Breathern community, in the beginning,
        from the
        > size of their cemeteries, Although, the catholic church there
        has had
        > their own pastor for lots of years. Happy
        > Memories.............................
        >

        > Bernard Gaas
        >
        > bernard.gaas@...
        >
        > --
        2/27/2007
        > 3:24 PM

      • paulasmaggie
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 1, 2007
> [...]

          was a
          > mission to Frenstat's Holy Rosary Parish. Father Matl from
          the Frenstat
          > Parish, ministered to both parishes and the muddy roads
          sometimes were
          > almost impassable, especially on the 1934 model Plymouth coupe
          that Father
          > Matl drove, so Mr. Clement Sobotik always drove him in his
          1930 Model A
          > Ford when
          > the weather made the roads almost impassable.. The mud roads
          were no
          > problem for this Ford!
          >
          > Dime Box was largely, a Breathern community, in the beginning,
          from the
          > size of their cemeteries, Although, the catholic church there
          has had
          > their own pastor for lots of years. Happy

          2/27/2007