Re: Dime Box

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 27, 2007
      Paula -

      The confusion over the names and location of the two Dime Boxes is caused by what has happened historically, what the governing authorities wanted to name the communities, and what the local residents wanted to call the communities.  The original Dime Box was located on the Old San Antonio Road (State Highway 21) about 15 miles southwest of Caldwell, Texas.  When the railroad by-passed Dime Box in 1912, many Dime Box residents packed-up and moved to a new town site about three miles to the southeast alongside the railroad. This new town was named Dime Box and the original town was renamed Old Dime Box, and these are the current official names.  However; many local residents, wanting to avoid confusion over which Dime Box they were talking about, called the two places "Old Dime Box" and "New Dime Box."  The custom of saying "New Dime Box" may be fading away in favor of just saying "Dime Box" to denote the town alongside the railroad.  You would have to hang around some of the local folks to verify that.

      You got married in the Dime Box Brethren Church, which is located on the northwestern outskirts of (New) Dime Box.  One of my aunts lives next door to the church and another lives behind the church.

      Now about Otto Wolfe and Lydia Balcar Wolfe.  Yes, for many years they operated a beer joint/domino parlor in downtown (New) Dime Box.  I went in there a few times back in the 1960s and 1970s.  Best as I remember, it was then on the left side of FM 141 about a half block before you cross the railroad tracks heading southeast.  It was about a half block and around the corner from the original Balcar (not Blaha) Saloon, which began operation in (New) Dime Box in 1914.  I do not know how long the Balcar Saloon (and any of it's possible successors) remained in operation.

      Otto and Lydia Wolf had a nice house in (New) Dime Box facing FM 141 not far from their downtown business.  From 1972 to 1982, my father and mother had a weekend house next to the Wolfe's house.   Lydia passed away several years ago.

      Mike Hejl

      --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "paulasmaggie" <pfosterbmt@...> wrote:

      > Mike, I spent my childhoold fishing in Balcar Lake and the Yegua
      > Creek. In AJ Blahas book " Hranice: The Moravian Settlement on the
      > Yegue" on the stories he wrote I have the "honor" of the relatives who
      > discovered the first streaker of Hranice, fought the Monster of
      > Hranice, and a grgr Uncle who went digging to gold on the Yegua
      > Creek. When I was married at the Brethan Church in 1978 corraled I
      > believe every woman there to help plan it. On my wedding invitation I
      > put the wrong Dime Box. Grandpappa in his very quiet Czech way let me
      > know it was wrong, Grandmamma proceeded to give me a lecture in her
      > not so quite Moravian way. To this day when someone ask where I was
      > married I say just Dime Box because I still get confused. The
      > question I have there was a Wolff "beer joint" owned by Otto and Lydia
      > Wolff where dominoes were played in "Dime Box". Do you know if it was
      > close by the Blaha Saloon or am I again in the wrong Dime Box?
      > Respectfully, Pfoster

    • paulasmaggie
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 27, 2007
        --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <mike.hejl@...> wrote:
        >Mike,
        Also, remember around the corner was the grounds where they held the
        Labor Day BBQS. That was the best BBQ and the coldest Shiner beer I
        have had (at least when I could sneak one behind my Grandmammas
        Eagle Eyes). I remember the Wolfs and the people who played
        dominoes every Saturday Night in the 60s. pfoster

      • John L. Mikeska
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 27, 2007
          Mike,

          When I visited with Lydia Wolf in March '95, she said her father built that house and she bought it later years in life.  Lydis'a brother, Frank Henry Balcar.  I believe the house has been torn down now.

          Sir John

          Mike <mike.hejl@...> wrote:
> [...]

          > Creek. In AJ Blahas book " Hranice: The Moravian Settlement on the
          > Yegue" on the stories he wrote I have the "honor" of the relatives who
          > discovered the first streaker of Hranice, fought the Monster of
          > Hranice, and a grgr Uncle who went digging to gold on the Yegua
          > Creek. When I was married at the Brethan Church in 1978 corraled I
          > believe every woman there to help plan it. On my wedding invitation I
          > put the wrong Dime Box. Grandpappa in his very quiet Czech way let me
          > know it was wrong, Grandmamma proceeded to give me a lecture in her
          > not so quite Moravian way. To this day when someone ask where I was
          > married I say just Dime Box because I still get confused. The
          > question I have there was a Wolff "beer joint" owned by Otto and Lydia
          > Wolff where dominoes were played in "Dime Box". Do you know if it was
          > close by the Blaha Saloon or am I again in the wrong Dime Box?

        • Mike
          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 27, 2007
            Lolly -

            Thanks for reminding me of this Dime Box Website.  It's been updated and added to since the last time I visited it.

            My mother, Milady Blaha Hejl (age 93) was reared in Dime Box.  One of her aunts, Rozina Blaha (1870-1959) married Josef Kubena in Dime Box and they had a bunch of kids.  My mother remembers that her Aunt Rosie and Uncle Joe Kubena had a grandson named Albert (Al) Kubena who went off to the big city.  She thinks that Al was probably born in the early 1920s.  If this is your band director Al Kubena, he would be my second cousin because we would share common great-grandparents; namely, Josef Blaha (1844-1921) and Rozina Kotrla (1844-1918).  There are a few Kubena descendants still living around Dime Box.  I live in Fort Worth but used to visit relatives there frequently.  Two of my Blaha-descended aunts still live there.  One of them, Jean Blaha Davis, is the current President of the Czech Heritage Society.  Are you a CHS member???

            --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, Lolly <lollie@...> wrote:

            > For you guys discussing Dimebox, TX, Czech this web site, if you haven't
            > already seen it.
            > When I was young, I played in the West Columbia HS band (mid '50 s).
            > My favorite
            > teacher was the band director. His name was Al Kubena and as I recall
            > he was from
            > Dimebox. He could really play the trumpet! He and a few other band
            > members (and I)
            > used to play polka music after school just for fun. I loved it!
            >
            > Any of you Dimebox area folks know any Kubenas from that area?
            >
            > Lolly (Laura Petter Pilgrim)
            > Houston, TX

          • Debbie Ondrasek
            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 27, 2007
              I know Kubenas from the Caldwell area.  My grandmother was a Kubena.

              Debbie

              For you guys discussing Dimebox, TX, Czech this web site, if you haven't already seen it.
              When I was young, I played in the West Columbia HS band (mid  '50 s).  My favorite
              teacher was the band director.  His name was Al Kubena and as I recall he was from
              Dimebox.  He could really play the trumpet!  He and a few other band members (and I)
              used to play polka music after school just for fun.  I loved it!

              Any of you Dimebox area folks know any Kubenas from that area?

              Lolly (Laura Petter Pilgrim)
              Houston, TX

              : www.texasescapes. com/. ../DimeBoxTx. htm

            • Lolly
              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 27, 2007
                Hi Mike,

                Your aunt's grandson, Al Kubena, may be the same one who I knew. The
                1920's would have been just about when he was born. He was very tall and
                slender with dark hair. I used to know his wife's name, but have forgotten
                it. They didn't have any children when I knew him, but may have had some
                later.

                I was just wondering whatever became of him. I think he left West Columbia
                a few years after I graduated from high school there. He was one of the
                nicest
                persons I ever knew. For some reason it stuck in my brain that he once
                told
                the class that he was born in Dimebox, and I always wondered how the town
                got it's name. I have since learned the answer to that question. :-)

                You asked if I am a CHS member...Yes, I am a member at large. I also am a
                member of the TCGS (Texas Czech Genealogical Society). Are you?

                Lolly Petter Pilgrim
              • Mike
                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 27, 2007
                  Paula -

                  You're bringing back a lot of memories for me.  I still think about those many times that I went to the Firemen's Labor Day Barbeque and Dance when it was at the old wood-framed SPJST Hall and grounds with "Beer Stands" and outdoor toilets  I remember going when I was a little kid and had a good time collecting beer bottle caps so I could turn them in for what - a penney???  When I got to be pivo drinking age in 1960 and learned to polka and waltz, I had an even better time, except I sweated like a pack mule.  I remember Shiner costing 20 cents a bottle when Pearl and Lone Star were 25 cents.  My how things have changed.  Of course Shiner's taste changed significantly later on.  The Shiner back in those days was a straw color and was almost undrinkable if it got too warm - especially if you bought it in plastic pitchers drawn from kegs.  I learned to buy only the bottled Shiner because it was ice cold and I could down it before it got warm.

                  I remember the Joe Patek Orchestra from Shiner usually playing for the main dance in the evening.   During the afternoon, seems like it was always the Sil Krenek Band from Walls playing outdoors in the hot sun.  Does anyone out there remember that group???  They had an old man (probably Grandpa Krenek) who played a mean hammered dulcimer and they also used tamborines.  I have heard a lot of different polka bands in my lifetime, but I never heard one like the Kreneks.  I sometimes wondered whether they were really Czechs because of their dark brown hair and ruddy complexions and their style  of music.  Then I would remember that my Grandpa Blaha actually had a darker complexion and hair than they did.  Many years later, I decided that Grandpa had a lot of Moravian Valach blood.

                  The barbeque cooked by the volunteers at the Picnic was absolutely the best I have ever eaten, and I have eaten at quite a few barbeque joints throughout Texas.  They usually had beef, pork, and chicken that was cooked in huge brick-walled pits over lots of very hot post oak coals.  The meat was almost continuously sopped with sauce while cooking and whoever's sauce it was, they should have gottten a patent on it.

                  Things gradually changed in Dime Box and by the time they built the "big metal building" for the SPJST Lodge in 1975 and started having C&W dances for the young folks, I quit going to the Labor Day Celebration.  Several years later, the old wood-framed Hall was removed and the old days were gone for good.

                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 27, 2007
                    Hi Lolly -

                    I am also a CHS Member At-Large. I probably need to join the TCGS. My
                    Uncle James Hejl in Temple belongs and likes to attend their meetings.
                    Maybe next year.

                    Mike Hejl

                    --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, Lolly <lollie@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Mike,
                    >
                    > Your aunt's grandson, Al Kubena, may be the same one who I knew. The
                    > 1920's would have been just about when he was born. He was very tall
                    and
                    > slender with dark hair. I used to know his wife's name, but have
                    forgotten
                    > it. They didn't have any children when I knew him, but may have had
                    some
                    > later.
                    >
                    > I was just wondering whatever became of him. I think he left West
                    Columbia
                    > a few years after I graduated from high school there. He was one of
                    the
                    > nicest
                    > persons I ever knew. For some reason it stuck in my brain that he
                    once
                    > told
                    > the class that he was born in Dimebox, and I always wondered how the
                    town
                    > got it's name. I have since learned the answer to that question. :-)
                    >
                    > You asked if I am a CHS member...Yes, I am a member at large. I also
                    am a
                    > member of the TCGS (Texas Czech Genealogical Society). Are you?
                    >
                    > Lolly Petter Pilgrim

                  • paulasmaggie
                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 28, 2007
                      --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <mike.hejl@...> wrote:
                      Mike,
                      Did you every fish in Balcar Lake? My fondest memories are going to
                      the domino games with Grandmamma and Pappa. Little did I know until
                      now I am kin to most of the people who were there. If I close my
                      eyes I can remember the people such as the Ondraseks. Mr. Joe
                      Ondrasek to a kid was a "character in a very good way". He was of
                      short built, always laughing and joking, and talking Czech. Miss
                      Rose was a very refine dressed lady who had a look that stopped him
                      cold if he got to loud. The other day I was thinking about where
                      Grandmamma bought her eggs, maybe you can help. There was a sister
                      and brother who lived on the other side of the tracks where the
                      cemetary off a side road. Her name was Miss Vlasta. I cannot
                      remember her last name. She sold eggs and guines to my Grandmamma.
                      Do you remember having soup made with a guine bird (not sure of the
                      spelling)? It is amazing I was married in the Brethan Church and
                      never knew a relative designed it. As a kid fishing in the Yegua
                      Creek if I knew there was supposed to be gold in the ground I would
                      have dugged that creek up just like my gr Uncle Joe Kortis, Uncle Ed
                      Blaha, and Uncle Henry Kubena. That is another tie we share. Mike
                      talking to you brings back the happy memories too of running
                      barefoot, fishing, dancing, and watching the adults play dominos as
                      a kid. A very simple and uncomplicated time I love to go back to
                      when "life" gets too busy. Thank-You. pfoster

                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 28, 2007
                        Joe and Rose were my grandparents.

                        Debbie

                        href="mailto:TexasCzechs%40yahoogroups.com">TexasCzechs@ yahoogroups. com, "paulasmaggie" <pfosterbmt@ >
                        > wrote:
                        >
                        > > >Mike,
                        > > Also, remember around the corner was the grounds where
                        they held
                        the
                        > > Labor Day BBQS. That was the best BBQ and the
                        coldest Shiner
                        beer I
                        > > have had (at least when I could sneak one
                        behind my Grandmammas
                        > > Eagle Eyes). I remember the Wolfs and the
                        people who played
                        > > dominoes every Saturday Night in the 60s.
                        pfoster

                      • pfoster
                        Message 11 of 19 , Feb 28, 2007
                          Debbie,
                          I remember them fondlyl even though I was a kid.  Pat and I have not researched the Ondraseks yet been tied-up with the Blahas, Balcars, Sebesta, Mikus, and  Kocurek Families.  Sooner or later we will mostly likely do them.  Looks like along with Mike our families were not just related, but "running buddies".  I wish I could have been a "fly on the wall" the night they dugged for gold.  The few times I met my great Uncle Henry Kubena I remembered him being like Mr. Ondrasek, full of life.  I wished I had known my great Uncle Joe.  My grandmamma talked very little about our relatives so between the stories in the books I have and reading from all of you what life was like in Dimebox back then it was hard times, but they made the most of it and enjoyed life.  It makes me appreciate life more.  Paula

> [...]
                          > metal building" for the SPJST Lodge in 1975 and started having C&W
                          > dances for the young folks, I quit going to the Labor Day
                          Celebration.
                          > Several years later, the old wood-framed Hall was removed and the
                          old
                          > days were gone for good.
                          >
                          > Mike Hejl
                          >

                          > --- In TexasCzechs@ yahoogroups. com, "paulasmaggie" <pfosterbmt@ >
                          > wrote:
                          >
                          > > >Mike,
                          > > Also, remember around the corner was the grounds where they held
                          the
                          > > Labor Day BBQS. That was the best BBQ and the coldest Shiner
                          beer I
                          > > have had (at least when I could sneak one behind my Grandmammas
                          > > Eagle Eyes). I remember the Wolfs and the people who played
                          > > dominoes every Saturday Night in the 60s. pfoster

                          Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                        • John L. Mikeska
                          Message 12 of 19 , Feb 28, 2007
                            Who'd thought the metropolis of Dime Box would bring so many postings <G>  Someone mentioned how Dime Box was named, but didn't share the information.   I was intrigued, and found below on State of TX web site:  Posting for others to know, if interested as I was.  I never thought of how that town received it's name....  Sir John

                            PS:  Back in 1883, a dime was lot of money!  And delivery once a week?  And we gripe today of the service.....

                            Dime Box
                            Located in eastern Lee County, the town was originally called Brown's Mill for a sawmill built by Joseph S. Brown. Soon, British Americans and Polish, Czech, German, and German-Wend immigrants arrived and settled near the mill. The U.S. government opened a post office in 1877 and settlers deposited out-going mail and a dime in a small box for weekly delivery of mail to nearby Giddings. The Brown's Mill post office closed in December 1883; however, when it reopened a few months later, confusion with Brown's Mill and Brownsville caused the town to be renamed Dime Box.

                            Sir John, Earl of Berkshire
                          • chefanita@classicnet.net
                            Message 13 of 19 , Sep 30, 2010

                              Cousin Pat,

                              I can check and find out who has the records in Dime Box and maybe get a look at them since I'm a little closer than you are.  It's your Great Great Uncle Jan Valigura, right?

                              Cousin Anita (Berka Prazak)
                              Caldwell

                            • Paula Foster
                              Message 14 of 19 , Oct 3, 2010
                                Anita, I forward this to Pat.  She said to tell you Thank-You.  We are not sure when this was posted.  She had computer problems.  Anyway, we have been to Lee County since then. We are now putting the Valiguras and Supaks in order.

                                paula

                                Message 15 of 19 , Oct 4, 2010

                                  Okay; let me know if I can help. :-)

                                  Anita