location

  • Pat Lyon
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 26 11:10 AM
      Anyone heard of a Fenton, Texas? I assume it is in the general area of
      Burleson or Lee County, but have no information about it.

      Pat
      2:56 PM
    • Diane Baldwin
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 27 8:43 AM
        Hi Pat!
        Have you tried looking it up on Texas GenWeb. You can look up towns and counties.

        Diane

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 27 3:46 PM
          Thanks Diane, yes, I did try.  That is my first resource when I have that type of question.

          Pat
        • Pat Lyon
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 3, 2008
            Is anyone here familiar with a small town or village called Babice u Rosice,
            supposedly west or southwest of Brno a short distance? I do not find it in
            my atlas but I may be looking it up wrong as I sometimes do, not allowing
            for the differences in the way Czech & English is indexed.

            Pat Lyon
          • Joe Janecka
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 3, 2008
              In the meantime, you might want to try http://maps.yahoo.com/ and enter the town name such as "Babice, CZ".  There are about 6 Babice in the Czech Republic.  There are 2 Rosice.

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 3, 2008
                What is the significance of Babice u Rosice if they are different villages?  Does the "u" signify they are near each other or otherwise connected?  If it is near Brno, it should be easier to pinpoint.  Thanks for your response Joe.
                Pat
              • tjs
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 3, 2008

                  Pat,

                  You will be receiving from MapQuest showing the location of Babice u Rosice.

                  I found several villages with the name of Babice toward Brno from Praha.  There I looked for Rosice since “u” means “near or at”.

                  This is the best town or village web site search to use for the Czech Rep.

                  http://www.jewishgen.org/Communities/LocTown.asp

                  Rosice, Rossitz

                  49°11' 16°23'

                  E M U G

                  Czech Republic

                  105.9 miles SE of Praha 50°5' 14°28'

                  Babice

                  49°10' 16°22'

                  E M U G

                  Czech Republic

                  106.0 miles SE of Praha 50°5' 14°28'

                   Another map source is: http://www.mapy.cz/

                  It has aerial photo of your given village showing the street names and top views of houses.

                  You can spend much time just looking at the views.

                  Take Care.

                  TJ

                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 3, 2008
                    Pat,

                    "U" means by.  It would be the village of Babice by the village of Rosice.

                    No, I'm not the one going to the Czech Republic.  I went there last summer.

                    Joe