Hranice pictures

  • Pat Lyon
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 26 10:29 AM
      I recently acquired a copy of AJ Blaha's "Hranice: A Moravian Settlement on
      the Yegua". In it are some pictures of classes from the Hranice School. I
      believe the pictures from 1896 and 1897 contain my grandmother Clara Svach
      and her sister, Mary, however, the quality is very poor from many
      photocopies. I wonder who might have the original picture, or an earlier
      version of the book with a better copy of the picture? I'd be happy to pay
      for them since I want a clear picture and would treasure an early picture of
      my grandmother and her sister.

      Pat Lyon
      2:56 PM
    • Mike
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 26 1:06 PM
        Pat -

        I have an early draft copy of the Hranice book authored by my uncle, Albert J. Blaha.  Almost all the pictures in this draft are on high-quality glossy photo paper, including the 1896 and 1897 Hranice School pictures.  Also, I am fairly certain that my mother (Albert's sister) has these particular pictures in her Blaha Family Photo Album, so it would be fairly easy for me to scan the pictures and send them to you as jpg files.  I hope that you have high-speed internet service because the files will be fairly large.

        My grandfather, William Blaha (1887-1962), is the third person from the right on the front row of the 1896 Hranice School picture, so he was very likely a classmate of Clara and Mary Svach.  I have not been able to spot my Grandpa Blaha in the 1897 picture, meaning that he had already dropped-out of school.  He would never admit to my mother how much schooling he completed, but assured her that he had had "a good education."  Unlike his father, he could read and write both Czech and English.

        I apologize for the poor quality of the pictures in the Hranice book being sold by the State CHS.  Sounds like it's time for me to provide them with better-quality photos for their master file.  This would require quite a bit of effort so I am not promising how soon that will happen.  In the meantime, anyone who had an ancestor that settled in the Hranice Community can ask me to scan and send them a jpg file of a picture in the Hranice book.  Just send me an e-mail with your wish list.  Be specific as to which pictures you are interested in and be willing to wait.  Please do not request all of them.  My e-mail address is:  mike.hejl@...

        Mike Hejl

        --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "Pat Lyon" <patsroar@...> wrote:

        > I recently acquired a copy of AJ Blaha's "Hranice: A Moravian Settlement on
        > the Yegua". In it are some pictures of classes from the Hranice School. I
        > believe the pictures from 1896 and 1897 contain my grandmother Clara Svach
        > and her sister, Mary, however, the quality is very poor from many
        > photocopies. I wonder who might have the original picture, or an earlier
        > version of the book with a better copy of the picture? I'd be happy to pay
        > for them since I want a clear picture and would treasure an early picture of
        > my grandmother and her sister.

      • John L. Mikeska
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 26 1:46 PM
          Pat,

          You talk about luck! ! ! ! !  What a gentleman Mike is.  I'm am removing my request for the end slices of your home made bread, including the churned butter, and let Mike have them.

          I;m Working with Pat Lyon on Balcar/Mikeska connectons and have many entries in the Hranice, Lee County, and Dime Box, Burleson Co and do have a copy of 'photocopy' of kin or two.  I may be calling on you later, Mike.  Of great interest is the Saloon photo at Dime Box, showing Frank Balcar behind the counter, with several in front, all having a bottle <G>.  Frank was a distant cousin.

          I'd almost offer to bring my laptop and scanner and help you, if get swamped with requests for photos.  Not sue where you are but Worth several hundred miles driving!  Mike, you are out of this world offering to do the photos. Sure wold be nice if photos put on CD and available for copying at the CHS Library in Houston.

          Sir John

          Mike <mike.hejl@...> wrote:
[...]

          I apologize for the poor quality of the pictures in the Hranice book being sold by the State CHS.  Sounds like it's time for me to provide them with better-quality photos for their master file.  This would require quite a bit of effort so I am not promising how soon that will happen.  In the meantime, anyone who had an ancestor that settled in the Hranice Community can ask me to scan and send them a jpg file of a picture in the Hranice book.  Just send me an e-mail with your wish list.  Be specific as to which pictures you are interested in and be willing to wait.  Please do not request all of them.  My e-mail address is:  mike.hejl@sbcglobal .net

          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 26 2:10 PM
            Mike,

            That's a very generous offer and I will take you up on it.  I believe my grandmother Clara Svach is the girl on the far right back row in the 1894 picture but I can't be sure because of the quality.  That may be her sister next to her.  Clara married Peter Urban in 1896 so was not in the 1896 photo but Mary should be and I believe she is the
            girl standing on left in the 3 girl group on right next to the teacher.  The 1897 picture is so poor I can't make out anyone, but Mary and her half-sister Frances may be in it.  I do have DSL and will be excited to get a clear copy!

            Pat Lyon
          • Mike
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 26 10:04 PM
              Sir John -

              Thanks for the compliment but no need to cancel any standing requests
              directed to Pat. I will settle for fond rememberances of many childhood
              visits to my Blaha grandparent's farm close to New Dime Box where I got
              treated to Grandma's home-made bread, which I spread with churned butter
              or with Grandma's favorite concoction of sweet cream, sugar, and
              cinnamon. By the way: Hranice, Old Dime Box, and New Dime Box are all
              in Lee County. Hranice is only about three miles (by road) north of New
              Dime Box. About all that's left of the Hranice Community are the two
              cemeteries. My Blaha and Hejtmancik great-grandparents, my Blaha
              grandparents, and many of their descendants are buried in the Hranice
              Community Cemetery. Albert J. Blaha and his wife Edna are buried there.

              In the morning, I will be going over to my mother's home. While there,
              I will borrow her Blaha Family Photo Album so I can begin scanning
              pictures for you and Pat. I'm pretty sure that the 1914 Balcar Saloon
              photo is in her album. If it's not, I will have to disassemble the
              bound draft copy of the Hranice book to get-at the photo. Not to worry,
              the disassembly is needed so I can eventually use it's pages to
              freshen-up the book being sold by the CHS.

              The Balcar Saloon photo is a real doozie. I suspect the photo was made
              on the day that the Balcar Saloon first opened in New Dime Box in 1914.
              Looking closely at the photo, it appears that the three younger men are
              holding rather large goblets (footed drinking glasses). My mother
              remembers these type of goblets being used in the 1920s. Two of the
              men's goblets appear to be empty or nearly empty, but the goblet of the
              man closest to the camera is about a third filled with a dark liquid
              that appears to have a head of foam, so it's either beer, champaign, or
              (don't make me laugh) root beer. The Saloon Proprietor, Vinc Balcar II,
              is pictured holding a smaller goblet that he is about to fill from what
              appears to be a wine or champaign bottle. It could very well be a
              champaign bottle because the bottle appears to have shiny foil around
              it's blob top and they might have been celebrating the Saloon's "Grand
              Opening."

              I remember visiting Balcar's/Riske's Dry Goods Store and it's adjoining
              Saloon in "Downtown" New Dime Box when I was a kid. The store and
              saloon was housed in a large, two-story red brick building with living
              quarters on the 2nd floor. As far as I know, the building is still
              there. The ornate bar looks mighty familiar and it would have impressed
              me at that age. I do remember the brass spitoons. My mother has a
              better recollection of the place from her childhood, but at age 93 even
              her long-term memory is failing her. I wonder what happened to that
              fancy bar???

              Sir John, your idea about me burning my scans of the Hranice photos onto
              a CD for the CHS Library is a good one. I will plan to do that. I live
              in Fort Worth but have been attending State CHS Meetings lately.
              Perhaps I will get to meet both you and Pat at the April meeting in
              Caldwell.

              I will e-mail each of you my scans of the photos you are especially
              interested in. Give me a few days as I am a known procrastinator.

              Mike Hejl

              --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "John L. Mikeska" <jlmikeska@...>
              wrote:

> [...]
              wait. Please do not request all of them. My e-mail address is:
              mike.hejl@...

              > Mike Hejl
              >

              > --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "Pat Lyon" patsroar@ wrote:
              > >
              > > I recently acquired a copy of AJ Blaha's "Hranice: A Moravian
              Settlement on
              > > the Yegua". In it are some pictures of classes from the Hranice
              School. I
              > > believe the pictures from 1896 and 1897 contain my grandmother Clara
              Svach
              > > and her sister, Mary, however, the quality is very poor from many
              > > photocopies. I wonder who might have the original picture, or an
              earlier
              > > version of the book with a better copy of the picture? I'd be happy
              to pay
              > > for them since I want a clear picture and would treasure an early

            • paulasmaggie
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 27 3:47 AM
                --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <mike.hejl@...> wrote:

                Mike, Hi, Pat and I are cousins. She has been helping research the
                Blaha/Valigurias Families. My gr Aunt Annie (Kortes) married Louis
                Blaha and My gr Uncel Joe married Hattie Blaha and finally Albina
                Blaha married Joe Becvar my grandpappa first cousin. There are more
                connections, but I donot have the space to put them. My grgr Uncle
                was Pavel Valigura. If it is not to late I too would like to
                request some pictures. If possible there are 3. The Blaha family
                on page 126,John Valigura Families page 130, and 131. If you have
                an extra of the saloon that would be nice. Thank-you very much. It
                is a sweet generous offer and undertaking.
                Respectfully, pfoster

                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 27 2:59 PM
                  Mike,

                  I have a poor photocopy of the photo of 1914 in the Balcar Bar and believe I copied it out of some book.  Typed at the bottom of the photo (floor level of photo) named men from left to right as Frank Balcar, Joe Jurica, Vince Balcar, Sr (behind counter, and father of Frank Balcar, I believe), and last man listed as Joe Vallgura.

                  Lydia Marie (Balcar) Wolf told me her mother was Mary Pecana married Frank Balcar (1st on left in photo) and that Frank worked at the bar.  Lydia said her mother went to the bar  to see her husband and went into labor while there. She was taken to the upstairs apartment (you mentioned) and where Lydia was born. Lydia enjoyed telling that she was born in a saloon.  Lydia married Otto Wolf - they never had any children.

                  Lydia and I are/were 2nd cousins, once removed. She passed in 2000.  Vince Balcar, Sr b. 1834 and wife Jenoerfa Matejcek are my gt gt grandparents.

                  Yes, I have typed Burleson Co in place of Lee Co for county of Hranice.  I have spent several hours twice at the Hranice Cemetery in '95.  Wish I had my digital camera then. <G>  And I believe it is Albert and Edna Blaha that has one of the most beautiful marker stones - believe black granite ?

                  Somewhere I have photograph of the Hranice Brethren Church with members standing in front of church, then after being struck by a tornado.  Most amazing was kids crawling inside and peering through steeple window, and boy that had climbed upon the roof. of the church leaning close to 35-45 degrees  I love looking at old photos and finding most unusual factors involved, such as this.

                  Sir John

                  wrote:

> [...]
                  wait. Please do not request all of them. My e-mail address is:
                  mike.hejl@.. .

                  > Mike Hejl
                  >

                  > --- In TexasCzechs@ yahoogroups. com, "Pat Lyon" patsroar@ wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I recently acquired a copy of AJ Blaha's "Hranice: A Moravian
                  Settlement on
                  > > the Yegua". In it are some pictures of classes from the Hranice
                  School. I
                  > > believe the pictures from 1896 and 1897 contain my grandmother Clara
                  Svach
                  > > and her sister, Mary, however, the quality is very poor from many
                  > > photocopies. I wonder who might have the original picture, or an
                  earlier
                  > > version of the book with a better copy of the picture? I'd be happy
                  to pay
                  > > for them since I want a clear picture and would treasure an early

                  Sir John, Earl of Berkshire
                • paulasmaggie
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 27 4:02 PM
                    --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "John L. Mikeska"
                    <jlmikeska@...> wrote:

                    Sir John, Thank-you for letting us know who were in the picture.
                    My grgr Uncle Paul Valiguras son Paul Jr. married Vinska Jurica. Do
                    you know when the Brethan Church in New Dime Box was built?
                    pfoster

> [...]
                    > > > the Yegua". In it are some pictures of classes from the Hranice
                    > School. I
                    > > > believe the pictures from 1896 and 1897 contain my grandmother
                    Clara
                    > Svach
                    > > > and her sister, Mary, however, the quality is very poor from
                    many
                    > > > photocopies. I wonder who might have the original picture, or
                    an
                    > earlier
                    > > > version of the book with a better copy of the picture? I'd be
                    happy
                    > to pay
                    > > > for them since I want a clear picture and would treasure an
                    early
                    > picture of
                    > > > my grandmother and her sister.
                    > >

                    > Sir John, Earl of Berkshire
                    > What good is information if not shared with others?

                  • John L. Mikeska
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 27 5:02 PM
                      Don't know when Brethren Church was built.  Ssir John

                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 27 6:01 PM
                        <jlmikeska@...> wrote:

                        > Don't know when Brethren Church was built. Ssir John

                        Thank you Sir John. pfoster

                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 27 6:57 PM
                          Paula -

                          The current Dime Box Brethren Church building was dedicated 29 May 1955.
                          The architect was Albert J. Blaha

                          Mike Hejl

                          --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "paulasmaggie" <pfosterbmt@...>
                          wrote:

                          > Sir John, Thank-you for letting us know who were in the picture.
                          > My grgr Uncle Paul Valiguras son Paul Jr. married Vinska Jurica. Do
                          > you know when the Brethan Church in New Dime Box was built?
                          > pfoster

                        • Nicole Young
                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 28 3:46 PM
                            I saw a familiar name when I saw y'all talking about Hranice.  My mother's maiden name is Hranicky.  I'm assuming my family comes from this city/town.  Do you have any information regarding that?

                            Thank you so much!!!

                            Nicole

> [...]
                            > >
                            > > Mike Hejl
                            > >

                            > > --- In TexasCzechs@ yahoogroups. com, "Pat Lyon" patsroar@ wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > I recently acquired a copy of AJ Blaha's "Hranice: A Moravian
                            > Settlement on
                            > > > the Yegua". In it are some pictures of classes from the Hranice
                            > School. I
                            > > > believe the pictures from 1896 and 1897 contain my grandmother
                            Clara
                            > Svach
                            > > > and her sister, Mary, however, the quality is very poor from
                            many
                            > > > photocopies. I wonder who might have the original picture, or
                            an
                            > earlier
                            > > > version of the book with a better copy of the picture? I'd be
                            happy
                            > to pay
                            > > > for them since I want a clear picture and would treasure an

                            Bored stiff? Loosen up...
                          • paulasmaggie
                            Message 13 of 13 , Mar 1, 2007
                              --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, Nicole Young <nyoung1990@...>
                              wrote:

                              > I saw a familiar name when I saw y'all talking about Hranice. My
                              mother's maiden name is Hranicky. I'm assuming my family comes from
                              this city/town. Do you have any information regarding that?

                              > Thank you so much!!!
                              >
                              > Nicole

                              Nicole, please email complete names, birth, and death information on
                              parents, grandparents, etc. This would help finding out where your
                              family came from. pfoster

                              > Any questions? Get answers on any topic at www.Answers.yahoo.com.
                              Try it now.