Re: filling for cream horns

  • Suzanne Fiala
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 12, 2006
      I will have to try this recipe out on my husband and see what he
      thinks. I had an email from another group member, so will work on
      this and see if I can come up with a decent recipe.

      The Trubki is made of puff pastry. And here is the recipe for that
      which will take half a day to make:

      Maslovsky (Butter Horns)

      1 cup sifed flour 1 cup butter (probably at room temperature)
      pinch of salt
      Work together, then put in refrigerator to chill well (probably
      an 1/2 to 1 hour).

      Mix:

      2 egg yolks 1 whole egg
      1 Tblsp. sugar 2 Tblsp. vinegar
      4 Tblsp. water 1 1/2 cups sifted flour
      Work together until silky. Put in refrigerator for 1/2 hr. Put
      the butter dough on top of the egg dough and roll out. Fold in
      envelope fashion and roll out. Fold again and put into refrigerator
      for another 1/2 hour.
      Roll out again and refold; cool 2 more hours. Now roll out and cut
      into strips; roll on teh trubelky forms and bake at 350 degrees for
      10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Slip the horns off the
      forms and when cool, fill with your favorite icing or frosting.
      If you don't have the forms, cut the dough into 2"x2" squares.
      Pinch 2 ends together in middle to form a bow and bake as directed.

      This is from The Kuba Family Reunion Cookbook.

      This is also know as Puff Pastry, and Pepperidge Farms has it in the
      frozen rolls/bread/dessert section at the grocery stores.

      --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, Richard A Garza
      <richardgarza1@...> wrote:

      > Hi Suzanne,
      > Will you be sharing the complete recipe with all of us???
      These
      > sound tasty, and the filling is certainly much, much better than
      > something with marshmallow. <g> Filling resembles something you'd
      find in
      > a cannoli.
      > See helpful words below.
      > Rick Garza
      > Sharing. It's what it's all about!
      > http://www.texasczechs.homestead.com/
      >
      > "Why do my buffalo wings always taste like chicken?"
      >
      > On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 21:01:17 -0000 "Suzanne Fiala" <shyden@...>
      > writes:
      > Melasia = molasses/treacle/honey
      > kisekeha mleka = soured milk
      > hrozinek = raisin
      > pinch of salt & ginger (zazvor) & flour
      > > 1 " melasia
      > > 1 " kisekeha mleka (possibly canned milk)
      > > 1 " hrozinek
      > sitka muka = sieve/sift flour
      > the prasku probably refers to the baking powder/soda & masnoti
      probably
      > is referencing the butter/fat
      > trubka = horn, dough for golden horns
      >
      > > 2 lzicki sodi (possibly baking soda)
      > > trosku soli a korenip zazrou a mouki az se to.
      > >
      > > Any one know what "sitka muka" translate to, or prasku or
      masnoti?

      > > These ingrediants are part of the trubki test zlute ( with a
      hyphen

      > > over the z).
      > >
      > > Any help will be greatly appreciated. Although I think the
      recipe
      > > from the Kraft website would probably work using the marshmallow
      > > creme they make.
      > >
      > > Have fun with this.
      > >
      > > Suzanne Fiala

    • Nangotoo
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 13, 2006
        I sure would be interested in having this recipe once it is fully translated
        and together. :-) It sounds yummy!
        Nan

        > Hi Suzanne,
        > Will you be sharing the complete recipe with all of us??? These
        > sound tasty, and the filling is certainly much, much better than
        > something with marshmallow. <g> Filling resembles something you'd find in
        > a cannoli.
        > See helpful words below.
        > Rick Garza
        > Sharing. It's what it's all about!
        > http://www.texasczechs.homestead.com/
        >
        > "Why do my buffalo wings always taste like chicken?"
        >
        > On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 21:01:17 -0000 "Suzanne Fiala" <shyden@...>
        > writes:
        > Melasia = molasses/treacle/honey
        > kisekeha mleka = soured milk
        > hrozinek = raisin
        > pinch of salt & ginger (zazvor) & flour
        >> 1 " melasia
        >> 1 " kisekeha mleka (possibly canned milk)
        >> 1 " hrozinek
        > sitka muka = sieve/sift flour
        > the prasku probably refers to the baking powder/soda & masnoti probably
        > is referencing the butter/fat
        > trubka = horn, dough for golden horns
        >
        >> 2 lzicki sodi (possibly baking soda)
        >> trosku soli a korenip zazrou a mouki az se to.
        >>
        >> Any one know what "sitka muka" translate to, or prasku or masnoti?
        >>
        >> These ingrediants are part of the trubki test zlute ( with a hyphen
        >>
        >> over the z).
        >>
        >> Any help will be greatly appreciated. Although I think the recipe
        >> from the Kraft website would probably work using the marshmallow
        >> creme they make.
        >>
        >> Have fun with this.
        >>
        >> Suzanne Fiala

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Richard A Garza
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 13, 2006
          Thanks, Suzanne,
          For the small quantity Puff Pastry. I've been needing one that
          didn't require 4 or 5 cups of flour.
          Looking forward to the filling recipe for the Trubicky.
          Rick Garza

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 13, 2006
            Did someone already share the recipe for the creamy filling for the horns?
            I keep seeing "filling" on the subject line, but all I am seeing is the
            recipe for the puff pastry used to make the horns. If I did miss it, could
            someone direct me to the recipe? Would the frozen puff pastry work just as
            well for the horns? I've been baking for almost 50 yrs.and I've tackled
            lots of challenging recipes in the past, but I've never actually "wanted" to
            make puff pastry from scratch. I love the way it tastes, though.

            Nan

            Thanks, Suzanne,
            > For the small quantity Puff Pastry. I've been needing one that
            > didn't require 4 or 5 cups of flour.
            > Looking forward to the filling recipe for the Trubicky.
            > Rick Garza
            >
            > On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 02:39:29 -0000 "Suzanne Fiala" <shyden@...>
            > writes:
            >>
            >> The Trubki is made of puff pastry. And here is the recipe for that
            >>
            >> which will take half a day to make:
            >>
            >> Maslovsky (Butter Horns)
            >>
            >> 1 cup sifed flour 1 cup butter (probably at room

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Martina Morrisová
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 14, 2006
              Very old Czech language, I will do my best....

              2 kopky cukru - 2 mounds of sugar - guess is cups
              1" sadla - lard
              1" melasia - ? molasses? syrup? Do not know
              1" kysekeha mleka - I think is kyseleho - sour milk
              1" hrozinek - raisins
              2 lzicki sodi - two teaspoons soda (I also think it is baking soda)

              Instructions: a bit of salt and ginger and flour until.... the sentence does not end.

              "sitka muka" - another wild guess - sypka mouka - well sifted flour
              "prasku" = prasek = powder
              "mastnoti" = mastnota = fat, grease = maybe oil?

              trubki test zlute = tubes (horns) test yellow ..... test = test, but she might have ment testo - with hyphen over e - that would mean dough

              Oh my, you always make me think translating these things! My brain almost hurts! :-)))

              Happy baking to all of you! Martina