Re: [TexasCzechs] Kolache Festival

  • dlmachu1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 5 7:46 AM
      I have never been there either but I know our Taylor Czech is singing on one of the stages at 12:45 P.M. It probably will be real hot but there is 30 percent chance of rain.
                                          Darwin
    • John L. Mikeska
      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 5 8:57 AM
        Gilbert,

        Has been couple years since I was at a Kolache Festival and sad to say ability to get around much preventing me to be there this year.  BUT, everything around the square and about a block each direction will be blocked off to traffic and streets will have all kind of trailers, carts, food, you name it set up.  Live music all day long! Many of the stores will have people showing Czech specialty work, etc. so you won't have problems finding something to eat, drink, see and just ability to walk a little.

        Sir John, Earl of Berkshire
      • chefanita@classicnet.net
        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 6 6:03 PM

          So who all's coming? Hmmmm????

          Be sure to see the quilts, the Czech museum & antique farm implements and machines, the Kraitcher House and the Hot Rod Car show.

          Don't miss the opening ceremonies if possible cuz once that's done the Original Kolache Festival Band should be winding their way musically thru the crowd, complete with pevo wagon!

          The SPJST is sponsoring the Czech Heritage stuff at the Senior Center and it's always a good place to go and get cooled off - and score some munchies. If it's as hot as it has been in the past, that's where I'll be! :-)

          For serious food, unless they're selling BBQ in Deanville and it's on your way, don't count on "city" food here.  We've got Sonic, McDonald's, Pizza Hut, Dairy Queen, the Surrey Inn and a couple of other places.  Good food, but nuttin' fancy!  I can recommend the grilled chicken sandwich with crispy fries at Smoking Mesquite, out on Hwy. 36 South.  In town, the Mad Hatters Tea Room is cute and a great place to grab a slice of pie and coffee.  Course, who's gonna be eating anything but kolaches????????

          Vitam Vas!

          Anita Prazak

        • Julie Matus
          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 8 7:41 PM
            Hello Everyone -

            Wow!  We had a very good time at the Kolache Festival in Caldwell today!  Lots of good kolaches, good music, food and drinks.  It was very hot too!!  But we danced anyway.

            later, jam

            Julie & Wes Matus

            Researching:
            Herzik, Korenek, Toman, Dybala
            Matus, Kubala, Grossman, Krenek

          • beverlyblinka
            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 8 9:49 PM
              The Kolache Festival will be held Saturday, September 12th in Caldwell, Texas.
            • Julie & Wes Matus

                Message 7 of 21 , Sep 9 5:43 AM
                  When I was growing up Labor Day in Caldwell was going to the Dime Box BBQ.  Sunday, my husband said this coming weekend was Kolache Festival in Caldwell.  He say it in the Chronicle.  I laughed, of course I knew.  The point being is Caldwell took the Kolache which everyone knows about and made it into a successful festival.  That was their "hook".  paulasmaggie

                  The Kolache Festival will be held Saturday, September 12th in Caldwell, Texas.

                • jan.cohen
                  Message 8 of 21 , Sep 9 10:16 AM
                    --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "beverlyblinka" <beverlyblinka@...> wrote:

                    > The Kolache Festival will be held Saturday, September 12th in Caldwell, Texas.

                    Can you send me information about the Kolache Run? Thanks, Jan Lesikar Cohen
                  • Lydia Mousner
                    Message 9 of 21 , Sep 9 11:25 AM

                      Message 10 of 21 , Sep 10 10:58 PM
                        K's on the square, the old Hughes-Doonan Car Dealership building has some great food. They even have BlueBell IceCream.
                      • chefanita@classicnet.net
                        Message 11 of 21 , Sep 11 3:16 PM

                          Bring your umbrellas! It's raining to beat the band right now!  YeHaw!  I'm not even worried about the Kolache dough I have rising on the kitchen stove.  Weeeeeeeeeee.....

                          Anita Prazak
                          Pampered Chef Consultant
                          979/200-9105
                          chefanita@...
                          www.pamperedchef.biz/chefanita1

                        • chefanita@classicnet.net
                          Message 12 of 21 , Sep 11 3:19 PM

                            Paula,

                            Sadly, it's gotten away from being a Czech heritage event with all the non-Czech arts and crafts booths, the playland and the fried food vendors.  Wish it was more like it was when it first began - way more emphasis on "Czech" instead of the almighty dollar! :-(

                            Message 13 of 21 , Sep 11 3:44 PM
                              Never been to the festival, my memories is of Labor Day Weekend in Dime Box.  Best BBQ every tasted.  paulasmaggie1

                              chefanita@classicne t.net
                              www.pamperedchef. biz/chefanita1