Kolache Festival

  • gbohuslav
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 4 8:57 PM
      Twelve of us plan to attend the Kolache Festival in Caldwell Saturday.  We plan to be there in the morning until about 2/3 pm.

      Any suggestions in terms of what we should see/do and in what order?  Also how about food?

      None of us have ever been to the festival so we are complete novices and your help & advise will be much appreciated.

      Gilbert

      Note:  I have checked the web site and have the schedule of events.
    • dlmachu1@aol.com
      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 5 7:46 AM
        I have never been there either but I know our Taylor Czech is singing on one of the stages at 12:45 P.M. It probably will be real hot but there is 30 percent chance of rain.
                                            Darwin
      • Nbmachu@aol.com
        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 5 7:53 AM
          Be sure to be there at 12:45 to hear the Taylor Czech Singers.

        • John L. Mikeska
          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 5 8:57 AM
            Gilbert,

            Has been couple years since I was at a Kolache Festival and sad to say ability to get around much preventing me to be there this year.  BUT, everything around the square and about a block each direction will be blocked off to traffic and streets will have all kind of trailers, carts, food, you name it set up.  Live music all day long! Many of the stores will have people showing Czech specialty work, etc. so you won't have problems finding something to eat, drink, see and just ability to walk a little.

            Sir John, Earl of Berkshire
          • chefanita@classicnet.net
            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 6 6:03 PM

              So who all's coming? Hmmmm????

              Be sure to see the quilts, the Czech museum & antique farm implements and machines, the Kraitcher House and the Hot Rod Car show.

              Don't miss the opening ceremonies if possible cuz once that's done the Original Kolache Festival Band should be winding their way musically thru the crowd, complete with pevo wagon!

              The SPJST is sponsoring the Czech Heritage stuff at the Senior Center and it's always a good place to go and get cooled off - and score some munchies. If it's as hot as it has been in the past, that's where I'll be! :-)

              For serious food, unless they're selling BBQ in Deanville and it's on your way, don't count on "city" food here.  We've got Sonic, McDonald's, Pizza Hut, Dairy Queen, the Surrey Inn and a couple of other places.  Good food, but nuttin' fancy!  I can recommend the grilled chicken sandwich with crispy fries at Smoking Mesquite, out on Hwy. 36 South.  In town, the Mad Hatters Tea Room is cute and a great place to grab a slice of pie and coffee.  Course, who's gonna be eating anything but kolaches????????

              Vitam Vas!

              Anita Prazak

            • Julie Matus
              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 8 7:41 PM
                Hello Everyone -

                Wow!  We had a very good time at the Kolache Festival in Caldwell today!  Lots of good kolaches, good music, food and drinks.  It was very hot too!!  But we danced anyway.

                later, jam

                Julie & Wes Matus

                Researching:
                Herzik, Korenek, Toman, Dybala
                Matus, Kubala, Grossman, Krenek

              • beverlyblinka
                Message 7 of 21 , Sep 8 9:49 PM
                  The Kolache Festival will be held Saturday, September 12th in Caldwell, Texas.
                • Julie & Wes Matus

                    Message 9 of 21 , Sep 9 5:43 AM
                      When I was growing up Labor Day in Caldwell was going to the Dime Box BBQ.  Sunday, my husband said this coming weekend was Kolache Festival in Caldwell.  He say it in the Chronicle.  I laughed, of course I knew.  The point being is Caldwell took the Kolache which everyone knows about and made it into a successful festival.  That was their "hook".  paulasmaggie

                      The Kolache Festival will be held Saturday, September 12th in Caldwell, Texas.

                    • jan.cohen
                      Message 10 of 21 , Sep 9 10:16 AM
                        --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "beverlyblinka" <beverlyblinka@...> wrote:

                        > The Kolache Festival will be held Saturday, September 12th in Caldwell, Texas.

                        Can you send me information about the Kolache Run? Thanks, Jan Lesikar Cohen
                      • Lydia Mousner
                        Message 11 of 21 , Sep 9 11:25 AM

                          Message 12 of 21 , Sep 10 10:58 PM
                            K's on the square, the old Hughes-Doonan Car Dealership building has some great food. They even have BlueBell IceCream.
                          • chefanita@classicnet.net
                            Message 13 of 21 , Sep 11 3:16 PM

                              Bring your umbrellas! It's raining to beat the band right now!  YeHaw!  I'm not even worried about the Kolache dough I have rising on the kitchen stove.  Weeeeeeeeeee.....

                              Anita Prazak
                              Pampered Chef Consultant
                              979/200-9105
                              chefanita@...
                              www.pamperedchef.biz/chefanita1

                            • chefanita@classicnet.net
                              Message 14 of 21 , Sep 11 3:19 PM

                                Paula,

                                Sadly, it's gotten away from being a Czech heritage event with all the non-Czech arts and crafts booths, the playland and the fried food vendors.  Wish it was more like it was when it first began - way more emphasis on "Czech" instead of the almighty dollar! :-(

                                Message 15 of 21 , Sep 11 3:44 PM
                                  Never been to the festival, my memories is of Labor Day Weekend in Dime Box.  Best BBQ every tasted.  paulasmaggie1

                                  chefanita@classicne t.net
                                  www.pamperedchef. biz/chefanita1