Travel in the Czech Republic part 7

  • Lillian Pivonka
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 4, 2006

                                  TRAVEL IN THE CZECH REPUBLIC part 7

      One of the years I went to the Czech Republic , we spent some time in a town called Novy Hrozenkov. A whole lot of Texas Czechs emigrated either from this town or from one of a string of little towns nearby that follow the Becva River . Some of the Supaks in my husband�s grandfather�s family came from Karolinka (actually at the time he emigrated, Karolinka was considered a part of Novy Hrozenkov, now it has grown to a separate town in its own right). Some of my husband�s grandmother�s side came from either Halenkov or Hovezi (both are just a piece down the road from Novy Hrozenkov). We�re not quite sure which town, because both of my husband�s great-grandparents died soon     after emigrating to Texas and Bernard�s grandmother was only a toddler at the time.

      Anyway, the year I went to Novy Hrozenkov, they were celebrating, I think, the 350th year anniversary of the founding of the town. I never had been there before, so I decided to try a new tactic of finding lodgings there� I went to the Novy Hrozenkov web site and chose a hotel called Lidovy Dum to rent rooms for the several nights we would be there.  The price was fantastic�..$10 a night per person and that included all 3 meals !

      Well, we hired someone to drive us over to Novy Hrozenkov from Roznov and he dropped us off at the hotel. The location was great � right in the middle of the town, and just next to the church. We walked into the hotel and found the lobby to be miniscule�� with a young boy at the desk. We checked in and then found we had to walk up several flights of stairs, carrying our own luggage. This wasn�t so bad but when we reached our floor �.  There was a long, completely dark corridor which we were going to have to go down. Somehow we managed to stumble down the corridor and locate our room. When we got in our room, we found our lights didn�t work either and to make matters worse, the beds were stripped �no bedding at all, and there were no towels in the bathroom.  I thought � oh my goodness, what have I gotten us into �some kind of flop house joint ?� We seriously considered going back to Roznov, but we had agreed to meet up with another American friend and decided that we had to wait at least until she arrived before we finally decided what we would do.

      Since it was so dark inside the hotel, we went outside and sat on a bench near the church. While we were waiting, a funeral procession arrived at the church. It was a beautiful procession with a full band playing. Soon after, our friend arrived , and we explained the situation to her and we went back inside the hotel to see what we could do. This time, the owner and his wife were at the desk and the whole situation was soon cleared up. It seems, because of the big celebration, they were hooking up all kinds of lights and speakers�. And they had blown a fuse and half the town, temporarily was out of lights. So far as the linens in our room were concerned, we found that all we had to do was lift the mattresses on the beds like the lid of a chest, and  ta-da ! there were all our duvets and towels and washcloths !

      It turned out, our hotel was really a good choice. As I said, the location was excellent�.in more ways than one�. All the musical and dance performances were in the diningroom of our hotel and we had front row seats. We were given meal tickets for the diningroom and if we skipped a meal, they refunded part of our hotel price ! The food was very good, especially the soups. The hotel owner ( or manager, I was never quite sure which he was ) was a Mr. Zapalac and he showed us some of his correspondence with the Texas part of the family. He even went and Xeroxed what he had and gave a copy to one of us.

      Robert Roesner, the man who did all those cemetery books for our society, was staying at a home just across the street from our hotel and he introduced us to the Orsak family.

      I�m sorry, I�m going to stop this now and continue it later because it is getting too long for me.  Lillian P.

    • George Patrick
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 5, 2006
        Lillian,
        This is getting to be "Twilight Zone" stuff!  Even though the similarities were curious I did come to the conclusion that the Mrs. Stepanova  in your previous message probably wasn't kin to my  Martin Stepan.  But, now, we find "Mr. Zapalac" with Texas connections.  Martin Stepan and family arrived in Galveston aboard the Von Veneke in 1855.  His wife died during the voyage giving  childbirth.  He employed a young lady who was aboard the ship to assist with his children.  She was a teen at the time named either "rozina" or Bozina" Zapalac.  Martin was brethren and she was Catholic but they eventually married in a Catholic Church and became active in the early development of the Wesley Brethren Church.  They are buried in the Wesley Brethren Church Cemetery.  They are my GrGrGr Grandparents.

        If you can remember who it was that has the records from Mr. Zapalac I would really love to have copies.  A number of us Texas Checks are of the opinion that the name "Zapalac was misspelled on the ships passenger list for the Von Vineke and John Zapalac and family were actually passengers on that voyage in 1855.  Perhaps Mr. Zapalac's documents would help clear this up?

        One other curious thing.  My Petrik family were from Horni Becva--Ondrej and Hermina Petrik with their son, Frank G. Petrik(my grandfather) arrived in Texas in the 1880s.  Sometimes before 1820 census, they changed their name to "Petrek" and my mother and father changed it to "Patrick".

        Thanks for your postings,

        George
[...]

        Checked by AVG Free Edition.
      • jajsemczech
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 5, 2006
          --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "George Patrick" <GPATRICK@...>
          wrote:

          > Lillian,
          > This is getting to be "Twilight Zone" stuff! Even though the
          similarities were curious I did come to the conclusion that the Mrs.
          Stepanova in your previous message probably wasn't kin to my Martin
          Stepan. But, now, we find "Mr. Zapalac" with Texas connections.
          Martin Stepan and family arrived in Galveston aboard the Von Veneke
          in 1855. His wife died during the voyage giving childbirth. He
          employed a young lady who was aboard the ship to assist with his
          children. She was a teen at the time named either "rozina" or
          Bozina" Zapalac. Martin was brethren and she was Catholic but they
          eventually married in a Catholic Church and became active in the
          early development of the Wesley Brethren Church. They are buried in
          the Wesley Brethren Church Cemetery. They are my GrGrGr Grandparents.

          > If you can remember who it was that has the records from Mr.
          Zapalac I would really love to have copies. A number of us Texas
          Checks are of the opinion that the name "Zapalac was misspelled on
          the ships passenger list for the Von Vineke and John Zapalac and
          family were actually passengers on that voyage in 1855. Perhaps Mr.
          Zapalac's documents would help clear this up?

          > One other curious thing. My Petrik family were from Horni Becva--
          Ondrej and Hermina Petrik with their son, Frank G. Petrik(my
          grandfather) arrived in Texas in the 1880s. Sometimes before 1820
          census, they changed their name to "Petrek" and my mother and father
          changed it to "Patrick".

          > Thanks for your postings,
          >
          > George

          and am taking her copy and making a copy for you when I work at the
          CHS Library tomorrow evening.If it's real long ( I don't remember how
          many pages it was)...then I would rather send you the copy by snail
          mail. If it's not very long I could retype it and send the
          information by email. Anyway, I don't have your address in case I
          have to send it by regular mail. Let me know how you want it sent.
          Lillian

> [...]
          location was excellent..in more ways than one.. All the musical and
          dance performances were in the diningroom of our hotel and we had
          front row seats. We were given meal tickets for the diningroom and if
          we skipped a meal, they refunded part of our hotel price ! The food
          was very good, especially the soups. The hotel owner ( or manager, I
          was never quite sure which he was ) was a Mr. Zapalac and he showed
          us some of his correspondence with the Texas part of the family. He
          even went and Xeroxed what he had and gave a copy to one of us.

          > Robert Roesner, the man who did all those cemetery books for our
          society, was staying at a home just across the street from our hotel
          and he introduced us to the Orsak family.

          > I'm sorry, I'm going to stop this now and continue it later
          because it is getting too long for me. Lillian P.

          9/4/2006

        • George Patrick
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 5, 2006
            Lillian,
            My mailing address is:

            George Patrick
            5011 Joshua Court
            Austin, Tx  78744

            E-mail:  gpatrick@...

            Which ever way would be easier for you will be fine with me.  I really appreciate your help.  Several of us have been working on this Zapalac name and date of arrival conflict for a while and hopefully this may help clear it up.

            Thanks again,

            George