Re: [TexasCzechs] Share Stories About Your Trip to CZ?

  • Greg & Louisa Stone
    Message 1 of 23 , Aug 5, 2006
      Nangotoo wrote:

      I have an idea that all of us can get involved with here and maybe have some fun.  Come all all of you lurkers, too, and join in. The more we have, the more we will learn. :-)   I don't know why I didn't think of it before.  Patsy has already done this, but I'm wondering if all of you who have been to the old country would like to share things about your trip with us who haven't been there yet.

      Nan

      Nan,

      Your idea is great and I would definitely like to hear other TexasCzechs' stories about their travels to the Czech lands. My wife, Louisa,  and I took our first trip to the Czech Republic this June and had a marvelous time. Her dad's family, the Halamiceks, were originally from Roznov in Moravia. So we spent four days in Prague and three in Roznov. Thought we might share a few things about our trip with the group.

      Prague was going through a hot spell so our unairconditioned hotel, the St. John on the Rock, was warm but bearable. Only trouble there was the loud trolley noise outside. Priced like most of the non-luxury hotels at about $100/night. It was near Charles Square (Karlovo Namesti), a short metro ride to the Old Town Square and Charles Bridge. By the way, I highly recommend buying the Prague transit passes for the number of days you plan on being there. The pass allows unlimited travel on buses, trams, and the very efficient Metro for one price (our 3 day pass was $10 each). No need to take the taxis -they are usually a ripoff waiting to happen. We saw the usual sights: Charles Bridge. Old Town Square, Prague Castle, etc. but also took some off-the-beaten-track walks into the delightful Vinohrady and Smichov sections of Prague. Tried to take a tour of the Staropramen Brewery, but missed the tour. Managed to taste their delicious beers at one of the company owned pubs. (Why can't Americans produce a good beer like that?) We ate at all kinds of places, but our favorite was a small, out of the way place in Smichov near the Staropramen Brewery. It was an outdoor café that served well prepared Czech foods with great sauces. About a third of the price of the "tourist" restaurants in Old Town or in the Little Quarter. They even threw in a complementary after dinner drink! All in all I would say that Prague is one of the best places to visit in Europe, especially for those who are of Czech ancestry.

      We took the train to Roznov because I was wary of what I had heard about rental cars in the Czech Republic. If I had to do it all over, I probably would have rented a car, but the train was a real adventure. Everything they say in the guide books about the Czech trains being horribly late is true!. We missed our connection in a small Moravian town, but a little "angel", probably a college student, managed to communicate in English that we could catch a later train to Valasske Mezirice thence to Roznov. It was hot, even by Texas standards, but one little episode stands out. We had so much luggage that we preferred to stand in the back of the train. A bunch of school kids were on the train heading home. One little boy, about 9-10 years old was listening intently to us speak English. When he got off the train, he looked up to Louisa and said "Good bye!". I guess he was happy to practice his English.

      Well we arrived late, about 7:00pm, at Roznov, and when we came out of the train station, we looked at each other and said "Now what?" No taxis in sight and we had no idea of where the hotel was (we had reserved it over the Internet 3 months earlier). We called the hotel and the receptionist said she would call us a taxi. After the short taxi ride, we arrived and checked in. The receptionist was a 24 year old Slovakian girl named Zuzana, and her English was perfect. She was so friendly we thought she must be from Texas! Over the next 3 days we felt that we were in TexasCzech heaven. Louisa was so emotional to finally be where her great grandfather was born and to see things he must have seen when he was a boy 130 years ago. We visited the Wallachian Open Air Museum (NOT to be missed!) and generally just hung out walking around the town and the residential neighborhoods. We knew of Dr. Simicek's wonderful museum dedicated to the Czech-Moravian immigration to Texas which is located in a small village, Lichnov, near Frenstat, so we took a bus ride to Lichnov (remember that neither of us knows any Czech). When we arrived it was again "What do we do now?" We walked about 200 yards into the town and I saw a sign with the Czech and Texas flags crossed: it was the Museum. Then we saw an older gentleman walking down the street toward what appeared to be city hall. We followed him in, and I said to the secretary "Dr. Simicek?" and she smiled and led me in to his office. He smiled when I told him that we were there looking into the Halamicek family from Roznov. He led us out across the street back to his museum. He let us look around (I did find some interesting facts about my wife's ancestors) and then he gave us a complimentary CD of a local band's music. I promised him I would send the Halamicek family tree since their arrival in America. He was pleased, I think.

      When we were about ready to return to Prague by train, our hotel receptionist, Zuzana, told us she would be glad to take us to the train station in Valasske Mezirice so we wouldn't miss the connection to Prague (again!). She also took us to a supermarket so we could buy some snacks for the trip. She gave us a bottle of locally produce slivovice and of course, she refused any kind of payment. I really tried, but she said she enjoyed helping people out, and besides, not many Americans pass through Roznov. Both Louisa and I feel that she embodies the Czech hospitality: everyone is their guest and they treat them like family.

      This has gone on longer than I had intended, but in the spirit of Nan's suggestion, I hope some of you will enjoy hearing about our trip, and if you haven't been, that you will try to go to the Czech lands some day yourselves. I am not going to post pictures on this site in the interest of saving bandwidth, but if you would like to see a sample of our pictures, just point your browser to the following:   http://www.flickr.com/photos/the2stones . Hope to meet some of you at a CHS function in the future.

      Bye for now and of course, na shledanou,

      Greg and Louisa (Halamicek) Stone
      Brackettville, TX

    • Nangotoo
      Message 2 of 23 , Aug 6, 2006
        Greg and Louisa,

        I can't resist follow up questions (which I'm hoping that others will do, too) following these accounts of trips to CZ .

        What is it that is bad about renting cars in the CZ Republic?  Don't forget that many of us haven't heard about things like that yet so that would be nice to know.

        How did the beer taste different from what we get here in the U.S.?  Is it freshly brewed and made by these companies for use in their pubs or do they also bottle it and have it sold in markets?

        What kinds of CZ foods did you eat while you were there?

        Was it hard to find English speakers to help you?

        What is at the Wallachian Open Air Museum and what is it that makes it not to be missed?

        What are their supermarkets like?

        What were your impressions of Roznov and what did you enjoy the most there?

        I really enjoyed hearing about you trip and the people you met.  What kind of things are at Dr. Simicek's TXCzech museum?
        I know about him from what people have said here, but not much about his museum.

        Thanks for telling us about your travels.

        .

      • Nangotoo
        Message 3 of 23 , Aug 6, 2006

          I enjoyed your picture album very much, Greg and Louisa. There are very few pictures online of Moravia.  Such a beautiful green color in their landscape.

          Nan

          ============ ========= ========= ========= ========= ==

[...]

        • Patricia Mercincavage
          Message 4 of 23 , Aug 6, 2006
            Greg and Louisa -
            Thanks so much for sharing your lively and informative story and those wonderful photos from your trip!  I'm so looking forward to the day I can go over to see my grandparents' homeland!

            Pat Mercincavage
            Great Falls, VA (formerly of TX)
            researching: Machacek, Kracala/Krachala, Svetlik, Reha/Rehy, and others

          • janapivec
            Message 5 of 23 , Aug 8, 2006
              My 'journal' for my May 2005 visit to Bohemia can be found at:

              http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~piwetz/Southern%20Bohemia%
              202005/2005%20Trip%20Narrative.html

              I tried to include lots of details--I was traveling alone, I don't
              speak Czech, and had a limited budget--I figured if I could do this,
              anyone can.

              It was a truly fabulous experience. Best wishes, jan
            • Diane Baldwin
              Message 6 of 23 , Aug 8, 2006
                Hi Jan!
                When I clicked on your site you mentioned it said page not found.What did I do wrong?
                Diane

                janapivec <jesenwei@...> wrote:
                My 'journal' for my May 2005 visit to Bohemia can be found at:

                http://freepages. genealogy. rootsweb. com/~piwetz/ Southern% 20Bohemia%
                202005/2005% 20Trip%20Narrati ve.html

                I tried to include lots of details--I was traveling alone, I don't
                speak Czech, and had a limited budget--I figured if I could do this,
                anyone can.

                It was a truly fabulous experience. Best wishes, jan

              • George Patrick
                Message 7 of 23 , Aug 8, 2006
                  I tried and couldn't open it either.

                  george
                  My 'journal' for my May 2005 visit to Bohemia can be found at:

                  http://freepages. genealogy. rootsweb. com/~piwetz/ Southern% 20Bohemia%
                  202005/2005% 20Trip%20Narrati ve.html

                  I tried to include lots of details--I was traveling alone, I don't
                  speak Czech, and had a limited budget--I figured if I could do this,
                  anyone can.

                  It was a truly fabulous experience. Best wishes, jan

                  Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                • Greg and Louisa Stone
                  Message 8 of 23 , Aug 8, 2006
                    George & others,

                    Jan's link was truncated at the right margin. Try this one

                    http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~piwetz/Southern%20Bohemia%
                    202005/2005%20Trip%20Narrative.html

                    It is on two lines, so highlight both lines and copy/paste them into
                    your browser.

                    By the way, a great story.

                    Greg Stone

                    --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "George Patrick" <GPATRICK@...> wrote:

                    > I tried and couldn't open it either.
                    >
                    > george
                    CZ--mostly Southern Bohemia

                    > My 'journal' for my May 2005 visit to Bohemia can be found at:
                    >
                    > http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~piwetz/Southern%20Bohemia%
                    > 202005/2005%20Trip%20Narrative.html

                    > It was a truly fabulous experience. Best wishes, jan

                  • G. R. Bohuslav
                    Message 9 of 23 , Aug 8, 2006
                      You have to get the entire link including the second line.  Here it is again--worked for me----Gilbert Bohuslav

                      George & others,

                      Jan's link was truncated at the right margin. Try this one

                      http://freepages. genealogy. rootsweb. com/~piwetz/ Southern% 20Bohemia%
                      202005/2005% 20Trip%20Narrati ve.html

                      It is on two lines, so highlight both lines and copy/paste them into
                      your browser.

                      By the way, a great story.

                      Greg Stone

                      --- In TexasCzechs@ yahoogroups. com, "George Patrick" <GPATRICK@.. .> wrote:

                      > I tried and couldn't open it either.
                      >
                      > george

                    • Leroy Janda
                      Message 10 of 23 , Aug 8, 2006
                        I am still a member.
                        email is ljanda@...
                      • Nangotoo
                        Message 11 of 23 , Aug 9, 2006
                          Same here.  I even tried by typing the whole URL out twice and it didn't work.  Jan?

                          Nan

                          Message 12 of 23 , Aug 9, 2006
                            Greg,

                            I've tried that four times now and my browser won't accept it. I think the address may be a little too long. It keeps saying that its a "Bad Request".

                            Nan

                            Message 13 of 23 , Aug 9, 2006
                              Now, that worked!  Thanks a lot, Gilbert.  Jan, your narrative with the pictures was very interesting and enjoyable.  Thank you for sharing that travel story.

                              Nan

                              You have to get the entire link including the second line.  Here it is again--worked for me----Gilbert Bohuslav

                              George & others,

                              Jan's link was truncated at the right margin. Try this one

                              http://freepages. genealogy. rootsweb. com/~piwetz/ Southern% 20Bohemia%
                              202005/2005% 20Trip%20Narrati ve.html

                              It is on two lines, so highlig can be found at:

                              Message 14 of 23 , Aug 9, 2006
                                Hi Leroy,

                                We haven't heard from you for awhile.  How are you?

                                Nan

                                I am still a member.
                                email is ljanda@checkstop. com

                              • janapivec
                                Message 15 of 23 , Aug 9, 2006
                                  You probably had a problem because it is split between two lines. Go
                                  to http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~piwetz/, and at the bottom
                                  of the page are links to sub-pages, and one is the 2005 Visit to
                                  Ancestral villages.

                                  --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "Nangotoo" <nangotoo@...> wrote:

                                  > Same here. I even tried by typing the whole URL out twice and it
                                  didn't work. Jan?

                                  > Nan

                                • George Patrick
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Aug 9, 2006
                                    Worked for me, too.  Next time my computer treates me like a fool, I'm gonna call Gilbert!  Thanks Gilbert.

                                    George

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Aug 10, 2006
                                        Thanks again, Jan.

                                        Nan