Emailing: DSCF3109_0084, DSCF3118_0093, DSCF3126_0101, DSCF3127_0102 (2), DSCF3111_0086

  • MADELYN DUSEK
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 5, 2006
      Nan,
      I tried unsuccessfully last night to send you more pics of the cemetery.  All of their cemeteries are like this. Beautiful. Each family maintains their own "family" plot.  Many are often buried in the same plot.. or at least they are listed on the tombstone.  The tombstones are so much more decorative than ours... the arts are prevalent all over this country ... even in death.  Each plot has boundaries, set up by granite or marble walls.  Then, most are landscaped!  I think the landscaping is a source of pride among those doing the landscaping.

      The one picture of the old tombstones without landscaping - they are along the opposite church wall and they belong to the nobility of years earlier.  They are "not" landscaped... no nobles to  do the job!

      Also notice the tiled stone pathways.  This is not unusual around churches.  On our trip in 1998, in Dolni Cermna, we entered the walled cemetery grounds around the church - catholic, of course - and there were two men in the courtyard...one old gentleman and a younger one, possibly in his twenties.  The old man was showing the young man how to repair the tiles of the pathway.  They were not interlocking tiles like the ones shown here - they were small 2"x2" squares set in an intricate pattern in the ground.  The old man was passing his knowledge down to his apprentice.  Amazing.  These cemeteries are some of the most beautiful I have ever seen.

      One note - most of the cemeteries do not have old tombstones.  I am not sure why... seems that the old ones were removed and in the 1900s they started all over on the same grounds.  Maybe someone else knows more about this.  Even around centuries old churches there are only newer tombstones.  Drahomir told us that the cemetery in Frenstat is new... the old one no longer exists... made into a parking lot or something absurd like that.  But it was located nearer to Roznov... if I am not mistaken... and not under the new cemetery.

      Note in the picture with Ashley and Danielle how the plots are set up.  Note in other pics... the tile pathways.  Also, I sent a pic of the "white" church on the "hill."

      A sad commentary:
      My husband's mother, Olga Smaistrla Dusek, was buried in the Wallis cemetery in a new section where NO tombstones are allowed... so that they can mow with  tractors!  How unbelievably sad.
      In Hillje, the walls - some very old -  around the plots were removed for mowing purposes.  At least they can have headstones.

      I  hope this picture file is not too big.
      Madelyn