Re: [TexasCzechs] Re: Meeting in Gonzales

  • Nangotoo
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 4, 2006
      Veronic,

      Is the older gentleman that we worked with when we were at the archives still working there?  I promised that I would send the full KRUM/KOTWIG/MONDRICK (Mondrik) family tree to him for the archives when I get it done.  He wouldn't let us leave until I promised to send it. haha  He was the 'go-to" guy to get things copied when we were there and he helped us go though the Gonzales school records in the back shelves during the week we were researching at the archives.  I forgot his name--could you tell me what it is if you know him?

      My mom and I would have loved to be there for the meeting.  Being in CA, though, its a little far to travel to Mom's hometown (Gonzales) very often. Much of our family still lives there in town, though, but they are all very far up in age now.  Everybody is helpful in Gonzales Co.  It is truly a wonderful place to visit and do research!  I spent many wonderful summer weeks there as a child with my mom's side of the family and her foster parent's family.  Mom still keeps in touch with a few of her childhood school friends who live there.  Lots of good memories there for us.

      Nan

      Hello

      I wish I could help ya'll, I'm the President of the Gonzales Chapter
      and didn't get to listen to hardly any of the speakers except Leo
      Baca. His presentation on DNA was a little over my head.

      We had a great group attend. So much information, so little time.

      I will brag on our county archives - they have alot of information
      and the ladies are very helpful. The staff of the county clerk's
      office are also very helpful.

      Gonzales is a very historic place and I hope you will be able to
      visit. Our group hopes to highlight the Czech influence in the
      county.

      Veronic Sue Valenta Camarillo

      --- In TexasCzechs@ yahoogroups. com, miladyolga@. .. wrote:

      > I wasn't able to get off work to go to the meetings on the 28th &
      29th. How
      > was the meeting?
      > Can you give any pointers about researching the Brethren records
      and the
      > Catholic records?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Debra

    • Nangotoo
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 4, 2006

        No, Shiner is in Lavaca Co. Its not very far away from Gonzales, though.

        Nan

        Your speaking of Gonzales County makes me very interested in visiting just to see what I may dig up on my family lines.
        Is Shiner in Gonzales County?

        Debra

      • Nangotoo

          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 4, 2006
            If you don't find the info you need in Lavaca Co, Debra, look at the neighboring counties of DeWitt (The city of Yoakum is in both counties) and Gonzales Co.  Also, be sure to check Fayette Co and Austin Co. where many immigrants came though first before moving on to other counties.  I routinely search all of these counties when I can't find what I'm looking for in my research.

            Nan

            I have found the surname "Prasek" which there maybe more information from Lavaca County that I haven't found.
            The other surnames are Fojtik, Horak, Blaha, Bauer (married Jacob Prasek).

            Thanks for the info. on Shiner, at the time I wasn't sure if it were in Lavaca or Gonzales county.

            Debra

          • Diane Baldwin
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 4, 2006
              Hi Debra!

              Don't forget to check the Texas GenWeb, most counties have info posted and you can post a question on the message board too.

              Diane

            • miladyolga@aol.com
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 4, 2006
                I am looking for information on Fojtik's.

                I do need to plan a trip to Gonzales and see what I can find.

                Debra
              • miladyolga@aol.com
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 4, 2006
                  Thanks for the tips.  I didn't know that Yoakum was in both counties.

                  Good information.

                  Thanks,
                  Debra
                • Nangotoo