Where did George and Agnes Gass come from! Austria, Bohemia is not enouth

  • yardman77901
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 3, 2006
      Yes, Yes, Shirley, on everything you wrote, these are the right
      Gaass' even though they spelled their last name Gas at the time.
      Yaroslav Jana from CR. republic did some researching and said Gas
      sometimes appears in the phone books, but not any other way. I
      think he found 18 in different villages, called all, almost none
      realized that they had Ancestors, more than their present
      generations. I guess its not much different in this country.
      makes it pretty tough on some of us researchers. My grandpa,
      seemed to be a progressive person, bought his own farms, applied
      and received citizenshiop, with out once giving his village of
      origin,, I bet he was a shark of a poker player! When he
      died, how would anyone know where he was born if he never told
      anyone. On the ship passenger lists, He apparently opened his
      mouth only to eat and drink, and answer any questions as
      briefly as possible. He sure doesn't appear to be a bohemian to
      me!

      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 3, 2006
        Yes, Bernard, I agree with you. He probably isn't from Bohemia. I read somewhere that a lot of times people said they were from Bohemia then bacause they thought people would treat them better as it was some sort of status to be from there- not sure why except I think that it might have been an art and political center.  I was going to suggest that if you can find out where some of their friends came from and other passengers on the ships. I did that and found out that most of their friends all came from the same general area in Moravia that my grandmother was from but didn't know at the time. I checked the church registers for baptisms and found that they had been Godparents to several children which listed where they were from. Then I checked where the parents were from and found that my great-grandmother gave the name of the village she was from. Imagine my surprise when I found it.
        I was going to suggest the naturalization records but see someone else has already suggested that.
        Also I checked school records of my grandfather and found some information I didn't have on them.
        I can check with Dr. Simicek in the Czech Republic and see if he knows anything about the Gas family - He seems to know an awful lot about the Czech families in Texas -- if you like. I asked him about my son-in laws family who knew nothing about their ancestors and he emailed me back half a page of information. If I can think of other things such as records and places I tried, I let you know. Also is it possible they shortened their name when they took passage to America.
        Good luck with your search.
        Shirley

        yardman77901 <bgaas@...> wrote:

[...]

        Do You Yahoo!?