Re: [TexasCzechs] Slivovice recipe

  • Joe
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 3, 2006
      I think it is possible to make here. Like Darwin said, you first have
      to let the fruit ferment, (plums, pears, peaches?) Follow any wine
      making recipe. Then, when you have the wine done, you need to distill
      it to make slivovice. There are several home distilling products
      available from a place in Fort Worth. I don't have the website handy
      but you can probably "Google" it. They make little stills that you
      put on your stove. They also have a cheap way to distill by using a
      bucket, a plastic sheet and an immersion heater. It's all on their
      website. I've been thinking of trying this myself someday, but my
      fruit crops have failed in this drought the last couple of years.

      Let us all know if you are successful.

      Na zdravi!

      Joe

      On Thu, 3 Aug 2006 08:41:32 EDT, you wrote:

      >Hi Hank
      >I do not think you can make Slivovice in the US because, you first have to
      >let the plums ferment and then the juice has to be sent to a refinery to
      >complete the process before it can bottled. It may be possible that there is a
      >refinery around that would do this, but I have not heard of it in the US.
      > Darwin
    • DENNIS MASAR
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 3, 2006
        In a recent visit to my Czech relatives in Moravia I
        had them explain in detail the process they used in
        making the slivovice I was drinking. While I do not
        remember the exact process I do remember the caution
        they gave me. The distilling process is not unlike
        making moomshine... high alcohol content. You have to
        be careful that the alcohol that you distill for
        drinking is free of the impure alcohol or else you
        could end up with injuries like the moonshiners
        sometimed caused...a degree of affected eyesight.

        After that session I was more careful where I got the
        slivovice... but I still managed to enjoy my share!!!

        Dennis

        --- Joe <a0010631@...> wrote:

        > I think it is possible to make here. Like Darwin
        > said, you first have
        > to let the fruit ferment, (plums, pears, peaches?)
        > Follow any wine
        > making recipe. Then, when you have the wine done,
        > you need to distill
        > it to make slivovice. There are several home
        > distilling products
        > available from a place in Fort Worth. I don't have
        > the website handy
        > but you can probably "Google" it. They make
        > little stills that you
        > put on your stove. They also have a cheap way to
        > distill by using a
        > bucket, a plastic sheet and an immersion heater.
        > It's all on their
        > website. I've been thinking of trying this myself
        > someday, but my
        > fruit crops have failed in this drought the last
        > couple of years.
        >
        > Let us all know if you are successful.
        >
        > Na zdravi!
        >
        > Joe
        >

        > On Thu, 3 Aug 2006 08:41:32 EDT, you wrote:
        >
        > >Hi Hank
        > >I do not think you can make Slivovice in the US
        > because, you first have to
        > >let the plums ferment and then the juice has to be
        > sent to a refinery to
        > >complete the process before it can bottled. It may
        > be possible that there is a
        > >refinery around that would do this, but I have not
        > heard of it in the US.
        > > Darwin
        >

        > Remember: You can alway set your account to Digest
        > Mode for less mail.
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Diann Biltz
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 3, 2006
          When visiting the home of my Vavrusa ancestors in 2001 in Ludcovice near Zlin, the current owner said to please excuse the smell as he was going to tear the house down soon but in the meantime he had 4 large vats of slivovice brewing from his plum crop.  It was really potent in this small space!!!!  Very interesting!