Slivovice recipe

  • hankn34
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 2, 2006
      Any one have the receipe for Slivovice. Sure would like to give it a try.

      Hank Naizer
    • dlmachu1@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 3, 2006
        Hi Hank
        I do not think you can make Slivovice in the US because, you first have to let the plums ferment and then the juice has to be sent to a refinery to complete the process before it can bottled. It may be possible that there is a refinery around that would do this, but I have not heard of it in the US.
                                                    Darwin
      • Joe
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 3, 2006
          I think it is possible to make here. Like Darwin said, you first have
          to let the fruit ferment, (plums, pears, peaches?) Follow any wine
          making recipe. Then, when you have the wine done, you need to distill
          it to make slivovice. There are several home distilling products
          available from a place in Fort Worth. I don't have the website handy
          but you can probably "Google" it. They make little stills that you
          put on your stove. They also have a cheap way to distill by using a
          bucket, a plastic sheet and an immersion heater. It's all on their
          website. I've been thinking of trying this myself someday, but my
          fruit crops have failed in this drought the last couple of years.

          Let us all know if you are successful.

          Na zdravi!

          Joe

          On Thu, 3 Aug 2006 08:41:32 EDT, you wrote:

          >Hi Hank
          >I do not think you can make Slivovice in the US because, you first have to
          >let the plums ferment and then the juice has to be sent to a refinery to
          >complete the process before it can bottled. It may be possible that there is a
          >refinery around that would do this, but I have not heard of it in the US.
          > Darwin
        • DENNIS MASAR
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 3, 2006
            In a recent visit to my Czech relatives in Moravia I
            had them explain in detail the process they used in
            making the slivovice I was drinking. While I do not
            remember the exact process I do remember the caution
            they gave me. The distilling process is not unlike
            making moomshine... high alcohol content. You have to
            be careful that the alcohol that you distill for
            drinking is free of the impure alcohol or else you
            could end up with injuries like the moonshiners
            sometimed caused...a degree of affected eyesight.

            After that session I was more careful where I got the
            slivovice... but I still managed to enjoy my share!!!

            Dennis

            --- Joe <a0010631@...> wrote:

            > I think it is possible to make here. Like Darwin
            > said, you first have
            > to let the fruit ferment, (plums, pears, peaches?)
            > Follow any wine
            > making recipe. Then, when you have the wine done,
            > you need to distill
            > it to make slivovice. There are several home
            > distilling products
            > available from a place in Fort Worth. I don't have
            > the website handy
            > but you can probably "Google" it. They make
            > little stills that you
            > put on your stove. They also have a cheap way to
            > distill by using a
            > bucket, a plastic sheet and an immersion heater.
            > It's all on their
            > website. I've been thinking of trying this myself
            > someday, but my
            > fruit crops have failed in this drought the last
            > couple of years.
            >
            > Let us all know if you are successful.
            >
            > Na zdravi!
            >
            > Joe
            >

            > On Thu, 3 Aug 2006 08:41:32 EDT, you wrote:
            >
            > >Hi Hank
            > >I do not think you can make Slivovice in the US
            > because, you first have to
            > >let the plums ferment and then the juice has to be
            > sent to a refinery to
            > >complete the process before it can bottled. It may
            > be possible that there is a
            > >refinery around that would do this, but I have not
            > heard of it in the US.
            > > Darwin
            >

            > Remember: You can alway set your account to Digest
            > Mode for less mail.
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Diann Biltz
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 3, 2006
              When visiting the home of my Vavrusa ancestors in 2001 in Ludcovice near Zlin, the current owner said to please excuse the smell as he was going to tear the house down soon but in the meantime he had 4 large vats of slivovice brewing from his plum crop.  It was really potent in this small space!!!!  Very interesting!