Meeting in Gonzales

  • miladyolga@aol.com
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 29 8:01 PM
      I wasn't able to get off work to go to the meetings on the 28th & 29th.  How was the meeting?
      Can you give any pointers about researching the Brethren records and the Catholic records?

      Thanks,
      Debra
    • Nangotoo

        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 30 1:08 PM
          Hello

          I wish I could help ya'll, I'm the President of the Gonzales Chapter
          and didn't get to listen to hardly any of the speakers except Leo
          Baca. His presentation on DNA was a little over my head.

          We had a great group attend. So much information, so little time.

          I will brag on our county archives - they have alot of information
          and the ladies are very helpful. The staff of the county clerk's
          office are also very helpful.

          Gonzales is a very historic place and I hope you will be able to
          visit. Our group hopes to highlight the Czech influence in the
          county.

          Veronic Sue Valenta Camarillo

        • miladyolga@aol.com
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 30 8:06 PM
            Your speaking of Gonzales County makes me very interested in visiting just to see what I may dig up on my family lines.
            Is Shiner in Gonzales County?

            Debra
          • Matt Cross
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 30 9:18 PM
              Debra,

              Shiner is in Lavaca County, the county seat of which is Hallettsville.
              Gonzales County borders Lavaca to the west.

              What surnames are you researching Shiner/Lavaca County?

              Matt Cross
              lennonluv@...
            • miladyolga@aol.com
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 30 9:55 PM
                I have found the surname "Prasek" which there maybe more information from Lavaca County that I haven't found.
                The other surnames are Fojtik, Horak, Blaha, Bauer (married Jacob Prasek).

                Thanks for the info. on Shiner, at the time I wasn't sure if it were in Lavaca or Gonzales county.

                Debra
              • Rochelle Bubenik Kinter
                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 31 7:26 AM
                  Matt,
                  The Pechacek's were mostly in this county... They have the reunion every 1st weekend in August... Have you ever been???
                  -Rochelle

                  At 11:18 PM 7/30/2006, you wrote:

                  Debra,

                  Shiner is in Lavaca County, the county seat of which is Hallettsville.
                  Gonzales County borders Lavaca to the west.

                  What surnames are you researching Shiner/Lavaca County?

                  Matt Cross
                  lennonluv@...

                  Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.

                • Nangotoo
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 4, 2006
                    Veronic,

                    Is the older gentleman that we worked with when we were at the archives still working there?  I promised that I would send the full KRUM/KOTWIG/MONDRICK (Mondrik) family tree to him for the archives when I get it done.  He wouldn't let us leave until I promised to send it. haha  He was the 'go-to" guy to get things copied when we were there and he helped us go though the Gonzales school records in the back shelves during the week we were researching at the archives.  I forgot his name--could you tell me what it is if you know him?

                    My mom and I would have loved to be there for the meeting.  Being in CA, though, its a little far to travel to Mom's hometown (Gonzales) very often. Much of our family still lives there in town, though, but they are all very far up in age now.  Everybody is helpful in Gonzales Co.  It is truly a wonderful place to visit and do research!  I spent many wonderful summer weeks there as a child with my mom's side of the family and her foster parent's family.  Mom still keeps in touch with a few of her childhood school friends who live there.  Lots of good memories there for us.

                    Nan

                    Hello

                    I wish I could help ya'll, I'm the President of the Gonzales Chapter
                    and didn't get to listen to hardly any of the speakers except Leo
                    Baca. His presentation on DNA was a little over my head.

                    We had a great group attend. So much information, so little time.

                    I will brag on our county archives - they have alot of information
                    and the ladies are very helpful. The staff of the county clerk's
                    office are also very helpful.

                    Gonzales is a very historic place and I hope you will be able to
                    visit. Our group hopes to highlight the Czech influence in the
                    county.

                    Veronic Sue Valenta Camarillo

                    --- In TexasCzechs@ yahoogroups. com, miladyolga@. .. wrote:

                    > I wasn't able to get off work to go to the meetings on the 28th &
                    29th. How
                    > was the meeting?
                    > Can you give any pointers about researching the Brethren records
                    and the
                    > Catholic records?
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    > Debra

                  • Nangotoo

                            Message 13 of 17 , Aug 4, 2006
                              I am looking for information on Fojtik's.

                              I do need to plan a trip to Gonzales and see what I can find.

                              Debra
                            • miladyolga@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 17 , Aug 4, 2006
                                Thanks for the tips.  I didn't know that Yoakum was in both counties.

                                Good information.

                                Thanks,
                                Debra
                              • Nangotoo