Re: [TexasCzechs] Help in translating

  • Lois Petter Pereira
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 2, 2001
      I am learning a lot. Stolar literally means table maker in Czech while truhlar means chest maker. In essence carpenter would fit in our modern times. They used more precise terms in Cz. I was also told Otakar is a surname. The most famous Czech Premysl's King was Otakar. This little project is teaching me something also.....lois

      Diana Proud wrote:

      If Otakar is a first name, could it have become Oscar?

      Diana Proud

      Matias, Matijas, Matijeas, Matnas

        catspa37@... wrote:

      According to Mourek's Old Bohemian Dictionary, a *stolar* is a carpenter
      and *Otakar* is a first name.
      A Reznicek

      From: Lois Petter Pereira
      Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2001 08:50:15 -0600
      Subject: Re: [TexasCzechs] Help in translating

      I am making an index to all the names of the book, Ëmigration to Texas
      from the Mistek District", and I am running into translation problems.
      Stolar and Otakar appears to be occupations. I found most of the words
      in the Czech dictionary on line but not these 2. I also need help in
      translating names.
      Otmar
      Bohumir
      Vladimir
      Albin
      Cenek
      Vojteck
      Ignac
      Bozena
      Jedrich
      L ibuse
      Petrolina

      Lois Petter Pereira
      Researching Ahlhorn, Bokemeyer, Brdusik, Bruntrig, Cordes, Filges, Francis, Garney, Gebauer, Hadac, Hadash, Halla, Hauser, Hoelschel, Kaskie, Maciejeski, Manak, Nauger, Ollre, Orsag, Orsak, Otjen, Papiz, Pavlik, Pereira, Petter, Polasek, Pratka, Psencik, Rada, Rohan, Sablatura, Schaub, Schroeder, Slovack, Susil, Tiemann, Urban, Weiser

    • Diann Biltz
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 25, 2007
        Can anyone help me translate the following: It is a section of the history of
        Mestecko, CR (Bohemia) which describes the inhabitants of House # 72 in this
        village from early 1600s to late 1990s.

        Pop. c. 72. Od svého postavení patrí rodu Svarcu. Roku 1842 ji stavel svec
        Antonin Svarc, r. 1848 syn Vojtech Svarc. R. 1870 nádenik Frantisek Svarc,
        manzelka Anna Lisková z Kalubic, r. 1881 horník Václav Svarc + 1032-79 let,
        manzelka Josefa + 1914-62 let. Jejich syn zeleznicár Karel Svarc + 1951-65 let
        mel chalupu od roku 1914. Po jeho syn zelezicár Václav Svarc, manzelka Juliana
        Wágnerová z Vojtanova u Chebu.
      • Martina Morrisová
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 26, 2007
          House # 72. Since being built it belongs to Svarc family. In the year 1842 it was built by shoemaker Antonic Svarc, 1848 son Vojtech Svarc. 1870 day labourer Frantisek Svarc, wife Anna Liskova from Kalubice, year 1881 miner Vaclav Svarc + 1932 - 79 years old, wife Josefa + 1914 - 32 years old. Their son, railroader Karel Svarc + 1951 - 65 years old, he owned a cottage from 1914. After him son railroader Vaclav Svarc, wife Juliana Wagnerova from Vojtanov u Chebu.

          Have a great day! Martina

          > Od: Diann Biltz <diannbiltz@...>
          > Předmět: [TexasCzechs] Help in translating
          > Datum: 25.7.2007 21:13:11
          > Can anyone help me translate the following: It is a section of the history of
          > Mestecko, CR (Bohemia) which describes the inhabitants of House # 72 in this
          > village from early 1600s to late 1990s.
          >
          > Pop. c. 72. Od svého postavení patrí rodu Svarcu. Roku 1842 ji stavel svec
          > Antonin Svarc, r. 1848 syn Vojtech Svarc. R. 1870 nádenik Frantisek Svarc,
          > manzelka Anna Lisková z Kalubic, r. 1881 horník Václav Svarc + 1032-79 let,
          > manzelka Josefa + 1914-62 let. Jejich syn zeleznicár Karel Svarc + 1951-65 let
          > mel chalupu od roku 1914. Po jeho syn zelezicár Václav Svarc, manzelka Juliana
          > Wágnerová z Vojtanova u Chebu.

        • Sir John
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 26, 2007
            Martina,

            I have nothing to do with the Svarc family, but just want to thank you for your assists from time to time on this list.  We appreciate it.

            Sir John

            Martina Morrisová <morrisova@...> wrote:
            House # 72. Since being built it belongs to Svarc family. In the year 1842 it was built by shoemaker Antonic Svarc, 1848 son Vojtech Svarc. 1870 day labourer Frantisek Svarc, wife Anna Liskova from Kalubice, year 1881 miner Vaclav Svarc + 1932 - 79 years old, wife Josefa + 1914 - 32 years old. Their son, railroader Karel Svarc + 1951 - 65 years old, he owned a cottage from 1914. After him son railroader Vaclav Svarc, wife Juliana Wagnerova from Vojtanov u Chebu.

            Have a great day! Martina

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
            mailto:TexasCzechs-digest@yahoogroups.com
            mailto:TexasCzechs-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Diann Biltz
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 26, 2007
              Thanks Martina, hopefully this will help me interpret some 100 other homes in
              this town.

              Martina Morrisová wrote:
              > House # 72. Since being built it belongs to Svarc family. In the year
              > 1842 it was built by shoemaker Antonic Svarc, 1848 son Vojtech Svarc.
              > 1870 day labourer Frantisek Svarc, wife Anna Liskova from Kalubice,
              > year 1881 miner Vaclav Svarc + 1932 - 79 years old, wife Josefa +
              > 1914 - 32 years old. Their son, railroader Karel Svarc + 1951 - 65
              > years old, he owned a cottage from 1914. After him son railroader
              > Vaclav Svarc, wife Juliana Wagnerova from Vojtanov u Chebu.
              >

              > Have a great day! Martina

            • Richard
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 30, 2007
                Hello Martina,

                I have some handwritten information that I am wanting to understand
                better. The parts I don't understand are the "fields" after the
                individual name that also has numbers in it.

                It is very short, and repetitive, because it is a listing of
                citizens. I just want to understand what is in the listed information
                for my highlighted ancestor. I have scanned it, and can attach it to
                an email.

                Thank you!
                Richard
              • Martina Morrisová
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 31, 2007
                  Sure, send it to me and I will look at it.

                  Martina