Re: [TexasCzechs] Help in translating

  • catspa37@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 1, 2001
      According to Mourek's Old Bohemian Dictionary, a *stolar* is a carpenter
      and *Otakar* is a first name.
      A Reznicek
    • Diana Proud
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 2, 2001

        If Otakar is a first name, could it have become Oscar?

        Diana Proud

        Matias, Matijas, Matijeas, Matnas

        From: Lois Petter Pereira
        Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2001 08:50:15 -0600
        Subject: Re: [TexasCzechs] Help in translating

        I am making an index to all the names of the book, �migration to Texas
        from the Mistek District", and I am running into translation problems.
        Stolar and Otakar appears to be occupations. I found most of the words
        in the Czech dictionary on line but not these 2. I also need help in
        translating names.
        Otmar
        Bohumir
        Vladimir
        Albin
        Cenek
        Vojteck
        Ignac
        Bozena
        Jedrich
        Libuse
        Petrolina
        Now some of these names sound German or Russian to me and I guess that's
        why they aren't in the dictionary. Any help anyone? I promise to share
        once I am done.....This book is my bible and it seems to be the case
        with most Fayette Co. Czechs. I feel the index will be helpful and it
        certainly will not take away from buying the book. It will list what
        page to find the name on and parents and spouses names if known. Just
        another tool for a quicker looker upper.........lois

        Richard Garza wrote:

        > Hi Lois,
        > stolar, see truhlar=cabinet maker
        > as to otakar, perhaps a native speaker knows this word.
        > Can you tell us in what context you found these words?
        > Rick Garza
        >

        > On Sun, 31 Dec 2000 20:44:54 -0600 Lois Petter Pereira
        > writes:
        > > I need to know the meanings of these words:
        > > stolar with an hacek over the r.
        > > and otakar
        > > I found the rest on the on-line dictionary but not these.
        > > Thanks....lois
        > >
        > > --
        > > Lois Petter Pereira
        > > Researching Ahlhorn, Bokemeyer, Brdusik, Bruntrig, Cordes, Filges,
        > > Francis, Garney, Gebauer, Hadac, Hadash, Halla, Hauser, Hoelschel,
        > > Kaskie, Maciejeski, Manak, Nauger, Ollre, Orsag, Orsak, Otjen,
        > > Papiz,
        > > Pavlik, Pereira, Petter, Polasek, Pratka, Psencik, Rada, Rohan,
        > > Sablatura, Schaub, Schroeder, Slovack, Susil, Tiemann, Urban, Weiser

        > GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
        > http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
        >
        > eGroups Sponsor
        [Click Here!]

        Lois Petter Pereira
        Kaskie, Maciejeski, Manak, Nauger, Ollre, Orsag, Orsak, Otjen, Papiz,
        Sablatura, Schaub, Schroeder, Slovack, Susil, Tiemann, Urban, Weiser

        Do You Yahoo!?

      • Lois Petter Pereira
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 2, 2001
          I am learning a lot. Stolar literally means table maker in Czech while truhlar means chest maker. In essence carpenter would fit in our modern times. They used more precise terms in Cz. I was also told Otakar is a surname. The most famous Czech Premysl's King was Otakar. This little project is teaching me something also.....lois

          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 25, 2007
            Can anyone help me translate the following: It is a section of the history of
            Mestecko, CR (Bohemia) which describes the inhabitants of House # 72 in this
            village from early 1600s to late 1990s.

            Pop. c. 72. Od svého postavení patrí rodu Svarcu. Roku 1842 ji stavel svec
            Antonin Svarc, r. 1848 syn Vojtech Svarc. R. 1870 nádenik Frantisek Svarc,
            manzelka Anna Lisková z Kalubic, r. 1881 horník Václav Svarc + 1032-79 let,
            manzelka Josefa + 1914-62 let. Jejich syn zeleznicár Karel Svarc + 1951-65 let
            mel chalupu od roku 1914. Po jeho syn zelezicár Václav Svarc, manzelka Juliana
            Wágnerová z Vojtanova u Chebu.
          • Martina Morrisová
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 26, 2007
              House # 72. Since being built it belongs to Svarc family. In the year 1842 it was built by shoemaker Antonic Svarc, 1848 son Vojtech Svarc. 1870 day labourer Frantisek Svarc, wife Anna Liskova from Kalubice, year 1881 miner Vaclav Svarc + 1932 - 79 years old, wife Josefa + 1914 - 32 years old. Their son, railroader Karel Svarc + 1951 - 65 years old, he owned a cottage from 1914. After him son railroader Vaclav Svarc, wife Juliana Wagnerova from Vojtanov u Chebu.

              Have a great day! Martina

              > Od: Diann Biltz <diannbiltz@...>
              > Předmět: [TexasCzechs] Help in translating
              > Datum: 25.7.2007 21:13:11
              > Can anyone help me translate the following: It is a section of the history of
              > Mestecko, CR (Bohemia) which describes the inhabitants of House # 72 in this
              > village from early 1600s to late 1990s.
              >
              > Pop. c. 72. Od svého postavení patrí rodu Svarcu. Roku 1842 ji stavel svec
              > Antonin Svarc, r. 1848 syn Vojtech Svarc. R. 1870 nádenik Frantisek Svarc,
              > manzelka Anna Lisková z Kalubic, r. 1881 horník Václav Svarc + 1032-79 let,
              > manzelka Josefa + 1914-62 let. Jejich syn zeleznicár Karel Svarc + 1951-65 let
              > mel chalupu od roku 1914. Po jeho syn zelezicár Václav Svarc, manzelka Juliana
              > Wágnerová z Vojtanova u Chebu.

            • Sir John
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 26, 2007
                Martina,

                I have nothing to do with the Svarc family, but just want to thank you for your assists from time to time on this list.  We appreciate it.

                Sir John

                Martina Morrisová <morrisova@...> wrote:
                House # 72. Since being built it belongs to Svarc family. In the year 1842 it was built by shoemaker Antonic Svarc, 1848 son Vojtech Svarc. 1870 day labourer Frantisek Svarc, wife Anna Liskova from Kalubice, year 1881 miner Vaclav Svarc + 1932 - 79 years old, wife Josefa + 1914 - 32 years old. Their son, railroader Karel Svarc + 1951 - 65 years old, he owned a cottage from 1914. After him son railroader Vaclav Svarc, wife Juliana Wagnerova from Vojtanov u Chebu.

                Have a great day! Martina

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:
                mailto:TexasCzechs-digest@yahoogroups.com
                mailto:TexasCzechs-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • Diann Biltz
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 26, 2007
                  Thanks Martina, hopefully this will help me interpret some 100 other homes in
                  this town.

                  Martina Morrisová wrote:
                  > House # 72. Since being built it belongs to Svarc family. In the year
                  > 1842 it was built by shoemaker Antonic Svarc, 1848 son Vojtech Svarc.
                  > 1870 day labourer Frantisek Svarc, wife Anna Liskova from Kalubice,
                  > year 1881 miner Vaclav Svarc + 1932 - 79 years old, wife Josefa +
                  > 1914 - 32 years old. Their son, railroader Karel Svarc + 1951 - 65
                  > years old, he owned a cottage from 1914. After him son railroader
                  > Vaclav Svarc, wife Juliana Wagnerova from Vojtanov u Chebu.
                  >

                  > Have a great day! Martina

                • Richard
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 30, 2007
                    Hello Martina,

                    I have some handwritten information that I am wanting to understand
                    better. The parts I don't understand are the "fields" after the
                    individual name that also has numbers in it.

                    It is very short, and repetitive, because it is a listing of
                    citizens. I just want to understand what is in the listed information
                    for my highlighted ancestor. I have scanned it, and can attach it to
                    an email.

                    Thank you!
                    Richard
                  • Martina Morrisová
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 31, 2007
                      Sure, send it to me and I will look at it.

                      Martina