Re: [TexasCzechs] Help in translating

  • Loretta and David
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 1, 2001
      Definition show to mean, maker, jointer, cabinet maker of little tables,
      bedside table, dressing table, dressers. The other word is not found in
      dictionary.
      David B.

    • catspa37@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 1, 2001
        According to Mourek's Old Bohemian Dictionary, a *stolar* is a carpenter
        and *Otakar* is a first name.
        A Reznicek
      • Diana Proud
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 2, 2001

          If Otakar is a first name, could it have become Oscar?

          Diana Proud

          Matias, Matijas, Matijeas, Matnas

          From: Lois Petter Pereira
          Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2001 08:50:15 -0600
          Subject: Re: [TexasCzechs] Help in translating

          I am making an index to all the names of the book, �migration to Texas
          from the Mistek District", and I am running into translation problems.
          Stolar and Otakar appears to be occupations. I found most of the words
          in the Czech dictionary on line but not these 2. I also need help in
          translating names.
          Otmar
          Bohumir
          Vladimir
          Albin
          Cenek
          Vojteck
          Ignac
          Bozena
          Jedrich
          Libuse
          Petrolina
          Now some of these names sound German or Russian to me and I guess that's
          why they aren't in the dictionary. Any help anyone? I promise to share
          once I am done.....This book is my bible and it seems to be the case
          with most Fayette Co. Czechs. I feel the index will be helpful and it
          certainly will not take away from buying the book. It will list what
          page to find the name on and parents and spouses names if known. Just
          another tool for a quicker looker upper.........lois

          Richard Garza wrote:

          > Hi Lois,
          > stolar, see truhlar=cabinet maker
          > as to otakar, perhaps a native speaker knows this word.
          > Can you tell us in what context you found these words?
          > Rick Garza
          >

          > On Sun, 31 Dec 2000 20:44:54 -0600 Lois Petter Pereira
          > writes:
          > > I need to know the meanings of these words:
          > > stolar with an hacek over the r.
          > > and otakar
          > > I found the rest on the on-line dictionary but not these.
          > > Thanks....lois
          > >
          > > --
          > > Lois Petter Pereira
          > > Researching Ahlhorn, Bokemeyer, Brdusik, Bruntrig, Cordes, Filges,
          > > Francis, Garney, Gebauer, Hadac, Hadash, Halla, Hauser, Hoelschel,
          > > Kaskie, Maciejeski, Manak, Nauger, Ollre, Orsag, Orsak, Otjen,
          > > Papiz,
          > > Pavlik, Pereira, Petter, Polasek, Pratka, Psencik, Rada, Rohan,
          > > Sablatura, Schaub, Schroeder, Slovack, Susil, Tiemann, Urban, Weiser

          > GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
          > http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
          >
          > eGroups Sponsor
          [Click Here!]

          Lois Petter Pereira
          Kaskie, Maciejeski, Manak, Nauger, Ollre, Orsag, Orsak, Otjen, Papiz,
          Sablatura, Schaub, Schroeder, Slovack, Susil, Tiemann, Urban, Weiser

          Do You Yahoo!?

        • Lois Petter Pereira
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 2, 2001
            I am learning a lot. Stolar literally means table maker in Czech while truhlar means chest maker. In essence carpenter would fit in our modern times. They used more precise terms in Cz. I was also told Otakar is a surname. The most famous Czech Premysl's King was Otakar. This little project is teaching me something also.....lois

            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 25, 2007
              Can anyone help me translate the following: It is a section of the history of
              Mestecko, CR (Bohemia) which describes the inhabitants of House # 72 in this
              village from early 1600s to late 1990s.

              Pop. c. 72. Od svého postavení patrí rodu Svarcu. Roku 1842 ji stavel svec
              Antonin Svarc, r. 1848 syn Vojtech Svarc. R. 1870 nádenik Frantisek Svarc,
              manzelka Anna Lisková z Kalubic, r. 1881 horník Václav Svarc + 1032-79 let,
              manzelka Josefa + 1914-62 let. Jejich syn zeleznicár Karel Svarc + 1951-65 let
              mel chalupu od roku 1914. Po jeho syn zelezicár Václav Svarc, manzelka Juliana
              Wágnerová z Vojtanova u Chebu.
            • Martina Morrisová
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 26, 2007
                House # 72. Since being built it belongs to Svarc family. In the year 1842 it was built by shoemaker Antonic Svarc, 1848 son Vojtech Svarc. 1870 day labourer Frantisek Svarc, wife Anna Liskova from Kalubice, year 1881 miner Vaclav Svarc + 1932 - 79 years old, wife Josefa + 1914 - 32 years old. Their son, railroader Karel Svarc + 1951 - 65 years old, he owned a cottage from 1914. After him son railroader Vaclav Svarc, wife Juliana Wagnerova from Vojtanov u Chebu.

                Have a great day! Martina

                > Od: Diann Biltz <diannbiltz@...>
                > Předmět: [TexasCzechs] Help in translating
                > Datum: 25.7.2007 21:13:11
                > Can anyone help me translate the following: It is a section of the history of
                > Mestecko, CR (Bohemia) which describes the inhabitants of House # 72 in this
                > village from early 1600s to late 1990s.
                >
                > Pop. c. 72. Od svého postavení patrí rodu Svarcu. Roku 1842 ji stavel svec
                > Antonin Svarc, r. 1848 syn Vojtech Svarc. R. 1870 nádenik Frantisek Svarc,
                > manzelka Anna Lisková z Kalubic, r. 1881 horník Václav Svarc + 1032-79 let,
                > manzelka Josefa + 1914-62 let. Jejich syn zeleznicár Karel Svarc + 1951-65 let
                > mel chalupu od roku 1914. Po jeho syn zelezicár Václav Svarc, manzelka Juliana
                > Wágnerová z Vojtanova u Chebu.

              • Sir John
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 26, 2007
                  Martina,

                  I have nothing to do with the Svarc family, but just want to thank you for your assists from time to time on this list.  We appreciate it.

                  Sir John

                  Martina Morrisová <morrisova@...> wrote:
                  House # 72. Since being built it belongs to Svarc family. In the year 1842 it was built by shoemaker Antonic Svarc, 1848 son Vojtech Svarc. 1870 day labourer Frantisek Svarc, wife Anna Liskova from Kalubice, year 1881 miner Vaclav Svarc + 1932 - 79 years old, wife Josefa + 1914 - 32 years old. Their son, railroader Karel Svarc + 1951 - 65 years old, he owned a cottage from 1914. After him son railroader Vaclav Svarc, wife Juliana Wagnerova from Vojtanov u Chebu.

                  Have a great day! Martina

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                  <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

                  <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

                  <*> To change settings via email:
                  mailto:TexasCzechs-digest@yahoogroups.com
                  mailto:TexasCzechs-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                • Diann Biltz
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 26, 2007
                    Thanks Martina, hopefully this will help me interpret some 100 other homes in
                    this town.

                    Martina Morrisová wrote:
                    > House # 72. Since being built it belongs to Svarc family. In the year
                    > 1842 it was built by shoemaker Antonic Svarc, 1848 son Vojtech Svarc.
                    > 1870 day labourer Frantisek Svarc, wife Anna Liskova from Kalubice,
                    > year 1881 miner Vaclav Svarc + 1932 - 79 years old, wife Josefa +
                    > 1914 - 32 years old. Their son, railroader Karel Svarc + 1951 - 65
                    > years old, he owned a cottage from 1914. After him son railroader
                    > Vaclav Svarc, wife Juliana Wagnerova from Vojtanov u Chebu.
                    >

                    > Have a great day! Martina

                  • Richard
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 30, 2007
                      Hello Martina,

                      I have some handwritten information that I am wanting to understand
                      better. The parts I don't understand are the "fields" after the
                      individual name that also has numbers in it.

                      It is very short, and repetitive, because it is a listing of
                      citizens. I just want to understand what is in the listed information
                      for my highlighted ancestor. I have scanned it, and can attach it to
                      an email.

                      Thank you!
                      Richard
                    • Martina Morrisová
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 31, 2007
                        Sure, send it to me and I will look at it.

                        Martina