Re: [TexasCzechs] Walla

  • Patricia Mercincavage
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 6, 2006

      Your friend may already have this information, but the John and Caty Walla family, with sons Anton, Philip and John, are included in the 1880 U.S. Census for the town of Chester, in Saunders County, Nebraska.  They also appear in the 1885 Nebraska census.  In the 1900 U.S. Census for Saunders county, NE, John, Sr is shown as a widower, living with his son John, Jr. and his family.  Son Philip and his family are shown as living in the next house.  Maybe this census information will be of some help.

      Pat Mercincavage

      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 6, 2006
        Pat, thank you so much for the information; I believe my friend might already have the info, but will forward to him.

        Frances

        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 10, 2006
          My mother is from West . . . Adel Jane Sykors (1927)

          Clifford M. Courteau

          CWarschak@... wrote:
              No, I am not aware that my Walla relatives had any relatives in Nebraska.  All of the Wallas to which I am referring lived in the vicinity of Frelsburg, Colorado County, Texas.

              I have attempted to determine the relationship of the various Wallas mentioned in the Catholic Church records in Frelsburg, Colorado County records and records from any other sources in that area that I could find. In my attempt to determine familial connections I found a number of instances in which the following versions of the name -  Vala, Valla, Verlla, Walla, Werlla and even Verla (although Verla does not appear to me to be a correct Czech spelling)  - were used interchangably to describe the same person.
              There are also Vrla families found in other places in Texas but I do not recall seeing that version of the name in any Colorado County records.
              I also determined that the letters "V" and "W" were used interchangably, even before these people emigrated from Moravia.

              As best I can determine there were at least two Walla families (John and Joseph) who immigrated to the Frelsburg area.
              The records show that Johann Valla (Verla, Werlla) was married to Anna Vicek in Bohemia.
              Then, on Jan. 13, 1863 the wife, Anna (Verla, "Vazek"?), age 42 years, was buried.
              Next, on May 17, 1864, Johannes Verlla (widower of Anna Vicek (Wicek) married Elisa "Walvos"? (widow of Zgabaj, Labaj and daughter of Ernest Wilrod) in Colorado County.
              Then, on June 30, 1865, a daughter, Maria Theresa Verla, was born to John Verla and Elziabeth (Scabai).  One of the baptismal sponsors for this child was Louise Verla (possibly the baby's older half-sister?).
              Then, on Oct. 30, 1866, she - Louisa (Lucia) Verla, daughter of Johan Verla and Anna (Wrzeke?) - married Franciscus Lake (Laake).
              It appears that John Verla died because, on Oct. 14, 1873, Elisabeth Verla married Otto Henkhaus.
              The 1880 census of the Otto Henkhaus household shows that Elise was 44 years of age and among the children listed are Mary Werla, age 14 and John Werla, age 9.  (These would have to be children of her second marriage - to John Verla.)

              The church records show that on Dec. 28, 1863 Aloisius Franciscus Varak, a son of Johann Varak and Josepina Verla (Vatzak?) (my g-g grandparents) was baptised and one of the baptismal sponsors was John Verla.

              I base my opinion that my g-g grandmother was related to John Verla solely on the fact that he was a baptismal sponsor to her child and, due to the lack of  inter-action between my ancestors and the Joseph Walla family, I feel that they are less likely to be the family for which I am searching.

              My research shows that Joseph and Rosina (Kafka) Walla had four children as follows: (1) Paul Walla who married Mary (Baca),
          (2) Barbara Walla who married Frank Cabron,
          (3) Anna Walla who first married Edward Knesek and second married Jan Sima and
          (4) Frank Walla who first married Anna (Martinak) Walla. They had nine children (seven surviving) before Anna died in 1896.  Frank's second marriage was to Johanna Sykora and they also has a number of children.  Frank and Johanna moved to the vicinity of West, Texas.  The Walla families currently living in the West/Waco area are the descendants of Frank and Johanna and, perhaps, some of Frank's children from his first marriage (to Anna Martinak).  This was the family in which several of the members owned cotton gins.

              Now, is that complicated or what?

          Do you Yahoo!?

        • Carolyn Theuber Louviere
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 10, 2006
            FYI, a while back I hired a professional Genealogist named John H. Wray to research the Cabron's in Malmedy, Belgium. John Wray's research specialized in the Belguin area. In Belguin, John was able to find  4 generations back from me..... to my
            g's-grandfather Jacque Joseph Cabron who was born 1743. Here is my link to my website http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~theuber/index.htm. where more information is available.
            Get back to me if you have any questions,  I have copies of the documenation.
            Carolyn

            Pat Lyon <patsroar@...> wrote:
            The Barbara Vala that married Frank Clement Cabron had a brother Pavel Vala b. 1842.  Their parents were Joseph Vala b. 1810 in "Moravia" and Rosina Kafka b. 1808 in "Moravia".  That is all I know about the Vala family. I don't even know what village they were from.

            Pat Lyon

            ....thanks,
            Carolyn Theuber