George Washington to Martha.doc

  • George Patrick
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 4, 2006
      To MRS

      To MRS. MARTHA WASHINGTON

      Philadelphia , June 18, 1775 .

          My Dearest: I am now set down to write to you on a subject, which fills me with inexpressible concern, and this concern is greatly aggravated and increased,

      when I reflect upon the uneasiness I know it will give you. It has been determined in Congress, that the whole army raised for the defence of the American

      cause shall be put under my care, and that it is necessary for me to proceed immediately to Boston to take upon me the command of it.

          You may believe me, my dear Patsy, when I assure you, in the most solemn manner that, so far from seeking this appointment,

      Page 294

      I have used every endeavor in my power to avoid it, not only from my unwillingness to part with you and the family, but from a consciousness of its being

      a trust too great for my capacity, and that I should enjoy more real happiness in one month with you at home, than I have the most distant prospect of

      finding abroad, if my stay were to be seven times seven years. But as it has been a kind of destiny, that has thrown me upon this service, I shall hope

      that my undertaking it is designed to answer some good purpose. You might, and I suppose did perceive, from the tenor of my letters, that I was apprehensive

      I could not avoid this appointment, as I did not pretend to intimate when I should return. That was the case. It was utterly out of my power to refuse

      this appointment, without exposing my character to such censures, as would have reflected dishonor upon myself, and given pain to my friends. This, I am

      sure, could not, and ought not, to be pleasing to you, and must have lessened me considerably in my own esteem. I shall rely, therefore, confidently on

      that Providence , which has heretofore preserved and been bountiful to me, not doubting but that I shall return safe to you in the fall. I shall feel no

      pain from the toil or the danger of the campaign; my unhappiness will flow from from the uneasiness I know you will feel from being left alone. I therefore

      beg, that you will summon your whole fortitude, and pass your time as agreeably as possible. Nothing will give me so much sincere satisfaction as to hear

      this, and to hear it from your own pen. My earnest and ardent desire is, that you would pursue any plan that is most likely to produce content, and a tolerable

      degree of tranquillity; as it must add greatly to my uneasy feelings to hear, that you are dissatisfied or complaining at what I really could not avoid.

          As life is always uncertain, and common prudence dictates to every man the necessity of settling his temporal concerns,

      Page 295

      while it is in his power, and while the mind is calm and undisturbed, I have, since I came to this place (for I had not time to do it before I left home)

      got Colonel Pendleton

      17

      to draft a will for me, by the directions I gave him, which will I now enclose. The provision made for you in case of my death will, I hope, be agreeable.

      Block quote start

      [Note:Col. Edmund Pendleton, at this time a Delegate from Virginia to the Continental Congress. ]

      Block quote end

          I shall add nothing more, as I have several letters to write, but to desire that you will remember me to your friends, and to assure you that I am,

      with the most unfeigned regard, my dear Patsy, your affectionate, &c.

      18

      Block quote start

      [Note:The text is from Ford, who, apparently, took it from Sparks . No copy, or draft, is now in the Washington Papers. ]

      Block quote end

      Joyce and I want to wish all a Happy 4th of July and remind everyone what many have gone through to give us these freedoms.  Let's not forget the current freedom-fighters currently serving their country to assure that we all may continue to be free.  So, don't forget to send a prayer and note of appreciation to your loved ones who are currently serving.

      George and Joyce Patrick

    • Nangotoo