Re: [TexasCzechs] Help in translating

  • Willie Petruy
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 1, 2001
      "J.D.K. Chipps" wrote:

      > My dad's name was "Albin", which became americanized to "Alvin", and my
      > grandfather was called "Jedrich", which became "Henry", if that helps.
      >
      > Good luck
      >
      > Lois Petter Pereira wrote:
      > >
      > > I am making an index to all the names of the book, Ëmigration to Texas
      > > from the Mistek District", and I am running into translation problems.
      > > Stolar and Otakar appears to be occupations. I found most of the words
      > > in the Czech dictionary on line but not these 2. I also need help in
      > > translating names.
      > > Otmar
      > > Bohumir
      > > Vladimir
      > > Albin
      > > Cenek
      > > Vojteck
      > > Ignac
      > > Bozena
      > > Jedrich
      > > Libuse
      > > Petrolina
      > > Now some of these names sound German or Russian to me and I guess
      > > that's why they aren't in the dictionary. Any help anyone? I promise
      > > to share once I am done.....This book is my bible and it seems to be
      > > the case with most Fayette Co. Czechs. I feel the index will be
      > > helpful and it certainly will not take away from buying the book. It
      > > will list what page to find the name on and parents and spouses names
      > > if known. Just another tool for a quicker looker upper.........lois
      > >
      > > Richard Garza wrote:
      > >
      > > > Hi Lois,
      > > > stolar, see truhlar=cabinet maker
      > > > as to otakar, perhaps a native speaker knows this word.
      > > > Can you tell us in what context you found these words?
      > > > Rick Garza

      > > > Weiser

      > D.M.Schlyter

      Bohumir = Godfrey
      Vladmir = None
      Albin = Albin
      Cenek = Vincent -I think Cenek is a nickname
      Vojteck = Albert, Adelbert
      Ignac = Ignatius
      Bozena = Beatrice
      Jedrich = did not find however Bedrich = Frederick
      Otmar = "
      Libuse = "
      Petrolina = "

      C. Petruy

      > > --
      > > Lois Petter Pereira
      > > Researching Ahlhorn, Bokemeyer, Brdusik, Bruntrig, Cordes, Filges,
      > > Francis, Garney, Gebauer, Hadac, Hadash, Halla, Hauser, Hoelschel,
      > > Kaskie, Maciejeski, Manak, Nauger, Ollre, Orsag, Orsak, Otjen, Papiz,
      > > Pavlik, Pereira, Petter, Polasek, Pratka, Psencik, Rada, Rohan,
      > > Sablatura, Schaub, Schroeder, Slovack, Susil, Tiemann, Urban, Weiser
      > >

      > --
      > ARANDELING,ARMSTRONG,BLAZEK,BOWNE,BUCKMASTER,BURDG,BURDGE,CHAPIN
      > DALRYMPLE,DERELL,GODFREY,HARBOUR,HOLBROOK,KAMENCAK,KINGMAN
      > KOTRLA,KOTROLA,MACHALEC,MCNIEL,PAXSON,PONCIK,POWYES,READ,RHODEN-
      > BAUGH,SANUDERS,SAUNDERS,SLAVIK,SMITH,TRACY(TRACEY),VITEK,WILLIS

    • Lois Petter Pereira
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 1, 2001
        I found Jindrich means Henry so possibly Jedrich could be taken from that. Thanks...lois

        Lois Petter Pereira wrote:

> [...]
        > Kaskie, Maciejeski, Manak, Nauger, Ollre, Orsag, Orsak, Otjen, Papiz,
        > Pavlik, Pereira, Petter, Polasek, Pratka, Psencik, Rada, Rohan,
        > Sablatura, Schaub, Schroeder, Slovack, Susil, Tiemann, Urban, Weiser

        --
        ARANDELING,ARMSTRONG,BLAZEK,BOWNE,BUCKMASTER,BURDG,BURDGE,CHAPIN
        DALRYMPLE,DERELL,GODFREY,HARBOUR,HOLBROOK,KAMENCAK,KINGMAN
        KOTRLA,KOTROLA,MACHALEC,MCNIEL,PAXSON,PONCIK,POWYES,READ,RHODEN-
        BAUGH,SANUDERS,SAUNDERS,SLAVIK,SMITH,TRACY(TRACEY),VITEK,WILLIS

        Lois Petter Pereira
        Researching Ahlhorn, Bokemeyer, Brdusik, Bruntrig, Cordes, Filges, Francis, Garney, Gebauer, Hadac, Hadash, Halla, Hauser, Hoelschel, Kaskie, Maciejeski, Manak, Nauger, Ollre, Orsag, Orsak, Otjen, Papiz, Pavlik, Pereira, Petter, Polasek, Pratka, Psencik, Rada, Rohan, Sablatura, Schaub, Schroeder, Slovack, Susil, Tiemann, Urban, Weiser

      • Loretta and David
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 1, 2001
          Definition show to mean, maker, jointer, cabinet maker of little tables,
          bedside table, dressing table, dressers. The other word is not found in
          dictionary.
          David B.

        • catspa37@webtv.net
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 1, 2001
            According to Mourek's Old Bohemian Dictionary, a *stolar* is a carpenter
            and *Otakar* is a first name.
            A Reznicek
          • Diana Proud
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 2, 2001

              If Otakar is a first name, could it have become Oscar?

              Diana Proud

              Matias, Matijas, Matijeas, Matnas

              From: Lois Petter Pereira
              Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2001 08:50:15 -0600
              Subject: Re: [TexasCzechs] Help in translating

              I am making an index to all the names of the book, �migration to Texas

              Richard Garza wrote:

              > Hi Lois,
              > stolar, see truhlar=cabinet maker
              > as to otakar, perhaps a native speaker knows this word.
              > Can you tell us in what context you found these words?
              > Rick Garza
              >

              > On Sun, 31 Dec 2000 20:44:54 -0600 Lois Petter Pereira
              > writes:
              > > I need to know the meanings of these words:
              > > stolar with an hacek over the r.
              > > and otakar
              > > I found the rest on the on-line dictionary but not these.
              > > Thanks....lois
              > >
              > > --
              > > Lois Petter Pereira
              > > Researching Ahlhorn, Bokemeyer, Brdusik, Bruntrig, Cordes, Filges,
              > > Francis, Garney, Gebauer, Hadac, Hadash, Halla, Hauser, Hoelschel,
              > > Kaskie, Maciejeski, Manak, Nauger, Ollre, Orsag, Orsak, Otjen,
              > > Papiz,
              > > Pavlik, Pereira, Petter, Polasek, Pratka, Psencik, Rada, Rohan,
              > > Sablatura, Schaub, Schroeder, Slovack, Susil, Tiemann, Urban, Weiser

              > GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
              > http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
              >
              > eGroups Sponsor
              [Click Here!]

              Lois Petter Pereira
              Kaskie, Maciejeski, Manak, Nauger, Ollre, Orsag, Orsak, Otjen, Papiz,
              Sablatura, Schaub, Schroeder, Slovack, Susil, Tiemann, Urban, Weiser

              Do You Yahoo!?

            • Lois Petter Pereira
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 2, 2001
                I am learning a lot. Stolar literally means table maker in Czech while truhlar means chest maker. In essence carpenter would fit in our modern times. They used more precise terms in Cz. I was also told Otakar is a surname. The most famous Czech Premysl's King was Otakar. This little project is teaching me something also.....lois

                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 25, 2007
                  Can anyone help me translate the following: It is a section of the history of
                  Mestecko, CR (Bohemia) which describes the inhabitants of House # 72 in this
                  village from early 1600s to late 1990s.

                  Pop. c. 72. Od svého postavení patrí rodu Svarcu. Roku 1842 ji stavel svec
                  Antonin Svarc, r. 1848 syn Vojtech Svarc. R. 1870 nádenik Frantisek Svarc,
                  manzelka Anna Lisková z Kalubic, r. 1881 horník Václav Svarc + 1032-79 let,
                  manzelka Josefa + 1914-62 let. Jejich syn zeleznicár Karel Svarc + 1951-65 let
                  mel chalupu od roku 1914. Po jeho syn zelezicár Václav Svarc, manzelka Juliana
                  Wágnerová z Vojtanova u Chebu.
                • Martina Morrisová
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 26, 2007
                    House # 72. Since being built it belongs to Svarc family. In the year 1842 it was built by shoemaker Antonic Svarc, 1848 son Vojtech Svarc. 1870 day labourer Frantisek Svarc, wife Anna Liskova from Kalubice, year 1881 miner Vaclav Svarc + 1932 - 79 years old, wife Josefa + 1914 - 32 years old. Their son, railroader Karel Svarc + 1951 - 65 years old, he owned a cottage from 1914. After him son railroader Vaclav Svarc, wife Juliana Wagnerova from Vojtanov u Chebu.

                    Have a great day! Martina

                    > Od: Diann Biltz <diannbiltz@...>
                    > Předmět: [TexasCzechs] Help in translating
                    > Datum: 25.7.2007 21:13:11
                    > Can anyone help me translate the following: It is a section of the history of
                    > Mestecko, CR (Bohemia) which describes the inhabitants of House # 72 in this
                    > village from early 1600s to late 1990s.
                    >
                    > Pop. c. 72. Od svého postavení patrí rodu Svarcu. Roku 1842 ji stavel svec
                    > Antonin Svarc, r. 1848 syn Vojtech Svarc. R. 1870 nádenik Frantisek Svarc,
                    > manzelka Anna Lisková z Kalubic, r. 1881 horník Václav Svarc + 1032-79 let,
                    > manzelka Josefa + 1914-62 let. Jejich syn zeleznicár Karel Svarc + 1951-65 let
                    > mel chalupu od roku 1914. Po jeho syn zelezicár Václav Svarc, manzelka Juliana
                    > Wágnerová z Vojtanova u Chebu.

                  • Sir John
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 26, 2007
                      Martina,

                      I have nothing to do with the Svarc family, but just want to thank you for your assists from time to time on this list.  We appreciate it.

                      Sir John

                      Martina Morrisová <morrisova@...> wrote:
                      House # 72. Since being built it belongs to Svarc family. In the year 1842 it was built by shoemaker Antonic Svarc, 1848 son Vojtech Svarc. 1870 day labourer Frantisek Svarc, wife Anna Liskova from Kalubice, year 1881 miner Vaclav Svarc + 1932 - 79 years old, wife Josefa + 1914 - 32 years old. Their son, railroader Karel Svarc + 1951 - 65 years old, he owned a cottage from 1914. After him son railroader Vaclav Svarc, wife Juliana Wagnerova from Vojtanov u Chebu.

                      Have a great day! Martina

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                      <*> Your email settings:
                      Individual Email | Traditional

                      <*> To change settings online go to:
                      (Yahoo! ID required)

                      <*> To change settings via email:
                      mailto:TexasCzechs-digest@yahoogroups.com
                      mailto:TexasCzechs-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    • Diann Biltz
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 26, 2007
                        Thanks Martina, hopefully this will help me interpret some 100 other homes in
                        this town.

                        Martina Morrisová wrote:
                        > House # 72. Since being built it belongs to Svarc family. In the year
                        > 1842 it was built by shoemaker Antonic Svarc, 1848 son Vojtech Svarc.
                        > 1870 day labourer Frantisek Svarc, wife Anna Liskova from Kalubice,
                        > year 1881 miner Vaclav Svarc + 1932 - 79 years old, wife Josefa +
                        > 1914 - 32 years old. Their son, railroader Karel Svarc + 1951 - 65
                        > years old, he owned a cottage from 1914. After him son railroader
                        > Vaclav Svarc, wife Juliana Wagnerova from Vojtanov u Chebu.
                        >

                        > Have a great day! Martina

                      • Richard
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 30, 2007
                          Hello Martina,

                          I have some handwritten information that I am wanting to understand
                          better. The parts I don't understand are the "fields" after the
                          individual name that also has numbers in it.

                          It is very short, and repetitive, because it is a listing of
                          citizens. I just want to understand what is in the listed information
                          for my highlighted ancestor. I have scanned it, and can attach it to
                          an email.

                          Thank you!
                          Richard
                        • Martina Morrisová
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 31, 2007
                            Sure, send it to me and I will look at it.

                            Martina