Re: [TexasCzechs] Help in translating

  • Richard Garza
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 31, 2000
      Hi Lois,
      stolar, see truhlar=cabinet maker
      as to otakar, perhaps a native speaker knows this word.
      Can you tell us in what context you found these words?
      Rick Garza

      On Sun, 31 Dec 2000 20:44:54 -0600 Lois Petter Pereira
      <epereira@...> writes:
      > I need to know the meanings of these words:
      > stolar with an hacek over the r.
      > and otakar
      > I found the rest on the on-line dictionary but not these.
      > Thanks....lois
      >
      > --
      > Lois Petter Pereira
      > Researching Ahlhorn, Bokemeyer, Brdusik, Bruntrig, Cordes, Filges,
      > Francis, Garney, Gebauer, Hadac, Hadash, Halla, Hauser, Hoelschel,
      > Kaskie, Maciejeski, Manak, Nauger, Ollre, Orsag, Orsak, Otjen,
      > Papiz,
      > Pavlik, Pereira, Petter, Polasek, Pratka, Psencik, Rada, Rohan,
      > Sablatura, Schaub, Schroeder, Slovack, Susil, Tiemann, Urban, Weiser

      GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
    • Lois Petter Pereira
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 1, 2001
        I am making an index to all the names of the book, Ëmigration to Texas from the Mistek District", and I am running into translation problems. Stolar and Otakar appears to be occupations. I found most of the words in the Czech dictionary on line but not these 2. I also need help in translating names.
        Otmar
        Bohumir
        Vladimir
        Albin
        Cenek
        Vojteck
        Ignac
        Bozena
        Jedrich
        Libuse
        Petrolina
        Now some of these names sound German or Russian to me and I guess that's why they aren't in the dictionary. Any help anyone? I promise to share once I am done.....This book is my bible and it seems to be the case with most Fayette Co. Czechs. I feel the index will be helpful and it certainly will not take away from buying the book. It will list what page to find the name on and parents and spouses names if known. Just another tool for a quicker looker upper.........lois

        <epereira@...> writes:
        > I need to know the meanings of these words:
        > stolar with an hacek over the r.
        > and otakar
        > I found the rest on the on-line dictionary but not these.
        > Thanks....lois
        >
        > --
        > Lois Petter Pereira
        > Researching Ahlhorn, Bokemeyer, Brdusik, Bruntrig, Cordes, Filges,
        > Francis, Garney, Gebauer, Hadac, Hadash, Halla, Hauser, Hoelschel,
        > Kaskie, Maciejeski, Manak, Nauger, Ollre, Orsag, Orsak, Otjen,
        > Papiz,
        > Pavlik, Pereira, Petter, Polasek, Pratka, Psencik, Rada, Rohan,
        > Sablatura, Schaub, Schroeder, Slovack, Susil, Tiemann, Urban, Weiser

        Lois Petter Pereira
        Researching Ahlhorn, Bokemeyer, Brdusik, Bruntrig, Cordes, Filges, Francis, Garney, Gebauer, Hadac, Hadash, Halla, Hauser, Hoelschel, Kaskie, Maciejeski, Manak, Nauger, Ollre, Orsag, Orsak, Otjen, Papiz, Pavlik, Pereira, Petter, Polasek, Pratka, Psencik, Rada, Rohan, Sablatura, Schaub, Schroeder, Slovack, Susil, Tiemann, Urban, Weiser

      • J.D.K. Chipps
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 1, 2001
          My dad's name was "Albin", which became americanized to "Alvin", and my
          grandfather was called "Jedrich", which became "Henry", if that helps.

          Good luck

          Lois Petter Pereira wrote:

          > I am making an index to all the names of the book, Ëmigration to Texas
          > from the Mistek District", and I am running into translation problems.
          > Stolar and Otakar appears to be occupations. I found most of the words
          > in the Czech dictionary on line but not these 2. I also need help in
          > translating names.
          > Otmar
          > Bohumir
          > Vladimir
          > Albin
          > Cenek
          > Vojteck
          > Ignac
          > Bozena
          > Jedrich
          > Libuse
          > Petrolina
          > Now some of these names sound German or Russian to me and I guess
          > that's why they aren't in the dictionary. Any help anyone? I promise
          > to share once I am done.....This book is my bible and it seems to be
          > the case with most Fayette Co. Czechs. I feel the index will be
          > helpful and it certainly will not take away from buying the book. It
          > will list what page to find the name on and parents and spouses names
          > if known. Just another tool for a quicker looker upper.........lois
          >
          > Richard Garza wrote:
          >
          > > Hi Lois,
          > > stolar, see truhlar=cabinet maker
          > > as to otakar, perhaps a native speaker knows this word.
          > > Can you tell us in what context you found these words?
          > > Rick Garza
          > >

          > > On Sun, 31 Dec 2000 20:44:54 -0600 Lois Petter Pereira
          > > <epereira@...> writes:
          > > > I need to know the meanings of these words:
          > > > stolar with an hacek over the r.
          > > > and otakar
          > > > I found the rest on the on-line dictionary but not these.
          > > > Thanks....lois
          > > >
          > > > --
          > > > Lois Petter Pereira
          > > > Researching Ahlhorn, Bokemeyer, Brdusik, Bruntrig, Cordes, Filges,
          > >
          > > > Francis, Garney, Gebauer, Hadac, Hadash, Halla, Hauser, Hoelschel,
          > >
          > > > Kaskie, Maciejeski, Manak, Nauger, Ollre, Orsag, Orsak, Otjen,
          > > > Papiz,
          > > > Pavlik, Pereira, Petter, Polasek, Pratka, Psencik, Rada, Rohan,
          > > > Sablatura, Schaub, Schroeder, Slovack, Susil, Tiemann, Urban,
          > > Weiser

          > --
          > Lois Petter Pereira
          > Researching Ahlhorn, Bokemeyer, Brdusik, Bruntrig, Cordes, Filges,
          > Francis, Garney, Gebauer, Hadac, Hadash, Halla, Hauser, Hoelschel,
          > Kaskie, Maciejeski, Manak, Nauger, Ollre, Orsag, Orsak, Otjen, Papiz,
          > Pavlik, Pereira, Petter, Polasek, Pratka, Psencik, Rada, Rohan,
          > Sablatura, Schaub, Schroeder, Slovack, Susil, Tiemann, Urban, Weiser

          --
          ARANDELING,ARMSTRONG,BLAZEK,BOWNE,BUCKMASTER,BURDG,BURDGE,CHAPIN
          DALRYMPLE,DERELL,GODFREY,HARBOUR,HOLBROOK,KAMENCAK,KINGMAN
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 1, 2001
            "J.D.K. Chipps" wrote:

            > My dad's name was "Albin", which became americanized to "Alvin", and my
            > grandfather was called "Jedrich", which became "Henry", if that helps.
            >
            > Good luck
            >
            > Lois Petter Pereira wrote:
            > >
            > > I am making an index to all the names of the book, Ëmigration to Texas
            > > from the Mistek District", and I am running into translation problems.
            > > Stolar and Otakar appears to be occupations. I found most of the words
            > > in the Czech dictionary on line but not these 2. I also need help in
            > > translating names.
            > > Otmar
            > > Bohumir
            > > Vladimir
            > > Albin
            > > Cenek
            > > Vojteck
            > > Ignac
            > > Bozena
            > > Jedrich
            > > Libuse
            > > Petrolina
            > > Now some of these names sound German or Russian to me and I guess
            > > that's why they aren't in the dictionary. Any help anyone? I promise
            > > to share once I am done.....This book is my bible and it seems to be
            > > the case with most Fayette Co. Czechs. I feel the index will be
            > > helpful and it certainly will not take away from buying the book. It
            > > will list what page to find the name on and parents and spouses names
            > > if known. Just another tool for a quicker looker upper.........lois
            > >
            > > Richard Garza wrote:
            > >
            > > > Hi Lois,
            > > > stolar, see truhlar=cabinet maker
            > > > as to otakar, perhaps a native speaker knows this word.
            > > > Can you tell us in what context you found these words?
            > > > Rick Garza

            > > > Weiser

            > D.M.Schlyter

            Bohumir = Godfrey
            Vladmir = None
            Albin = Albin
            Cenek = Vincent -I think Cenek is a nickname
            Vojteck = Albert, Adelbert
            Ignac = Ignatius
            Bozena = Beatrice
            Jedrich = did not find however Bedrich = Frederick
            Otmar = "
            Libuse = "
            Petrolina = "

            C. Petruy

            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 1, 2001
              I found Jindrich means Henry so possibly Jedrich could be taken from that. Thanks...lois

              Lois Petter Pereira wrote:

> [...]
              > Kaskie, Maciejeski, Manak, Nauger, Ollre, Orsag, Orsak, Otjen, Papiz,
              > Pavlik, Pereira, Petter, Polasek, Pratka, Psencik, Rada, Rohan,
              > Sablatura, Schaub, Schroeder, Slovack, Susil, Tiemann, Urban, Weiser

              --
              ARANDELING,ARMSTRONG,BLAZEK,BOWNE,BUCKMASTER,BURDG,BURDGE,CHAPIN
              DALRYMPLE,DERELL,GODFREY,HARBOUR,HOLBROOK,KAMENCAK,KINGMAN
              KOTRLA,KOTROLA,MACHALEC,MCNIEL,PAXSON,PONCIK,POWYES,READ,RHODEN-
              BAUGH,SANUDERS,SAUNDERS,SLAVIK,SMITH,TRACY(TRACEY),VITEK,WILLIS

              Lois Petter Pereira
              Researching Ahlhorn, Bokemeyer, Brdusik, Bruntrig, Cordes, Filges, Francis, Garney, Gebauer, Hadac, Hadash, Halla, Hauser, Hoelschel, Kaskie, Maciejeski, Manak, Nauger, Ollre, Orsag, Orsak, Otjen, Papiz, Pavlik, Pereira, Petter, Polasek, Pratka, Psencik, Rada, Rohan, Sablatura, Schaub, Schroeder, Slovack, Susil, Tiemann, Urban, Weiser

            • Loretta and David
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 1, 2001
                Definition show to mean, maker, jointer, cabinet maker of little tables,
                bedside table, dressing table, dressers. The other word is not found in
                dictionary.
                David B.

              • catspa37@webtv.net
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 1, 2001
                  According to Mourek's Old Bohemian Dictionary, a *stolar* is a carpenter
                  and *Otakar* is a first name.
                  A Reznicek
                • Diana Proud
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 2, 2001

                    If Otakar is a first name, could it have become Oscar?

                    Diana Proud

                    Matias, Matijas, Matijeas, Matnas

                    From: Lois Petter Pereira
                    Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2001 08:50:15 -0600
                    Subject: Re: [TexasCzechs] Help in translating

                    I am making an index to all the names of the book, �migration to Texas

                    Richard Garza wrote:

                    > Hi Lois,
                    > stolar, see truhlar=cabinet maker
                    > as to otakar, perhaps a native speaker knows this word.
                    > Can you tell us in what context you found these words?
                    > Rick Garza
                    >

                    > On Sun, 31 Dec 2000 20:44:54 -0600 Lois Petter Pereira
                    > writes:
                    > > I need to know the meanings of these words:
                    > > stolar with an hacek over the r.
                    > > and otakar
                    > > I found the rest on the on-line dictionary but not these.
                    > > Thanks....lois
                    > >
                    > > --
                    > > Lois Petter Pereira
                    > > Researching Ahlhorn, Bokemeyer, Brdusik, Bruntrig, Cordes, Filges,
                    > > Francis, Garney, Gebauer, Hadac, Hadash, Halla, Hauser, Hoelschel,
                    > > Kaskie, Maciejeski, Manak, Nauger, Ollre, Orsag, Orsak, Otjen,
                    > > Papiz,
                    > > Pavlik, Pereira, Petter, Polasek, Pratka, Psencik, Rada, Rohan,
                    > > Sablatura, Schaub, Schroeder, Slovack, Susil, Tiemann, Urban, Weiser

                    > GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                    > http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
                    >
                    > eGroups Sponsor
                    [Click Here!]

                    Lois Petter Pereira
                    Kaskie, Maciejeski, Manak, Nauger, Ollre, Orsag, Orsak, Otjen, Papiz,
                    Sablatura, Schaub, Schroeder, Slovack, Susil, Tiemann, Urban, Weiser

                    Do You Yahoo!?

                  • Lois Petter Pereira
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 2, 2001
                      I am learning a lot. Stolar literally means table maker in Czech while truhlar means chest maker. In essence carpenter would fit in our modern times. They used more precise terms in Cz. I was also told Otakar is a surname. The most famous Czech Premysl's King was Otakar. This little project is teaching me something also.....lois

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 25, 2007
                        Can anyone help me translate the following: It is a section of the history of
                        Mestecko, CR (Bohemia) which describes the inhabitants of House # 72 in this
                        village from early 1600s to late 1990s.

                        Pop. c. 72. Od svého postavení patrí rodu Svarcu. Roku 1842 ji stavel svec
                        Antonin Svarc, r. 1848 syn Vojtech Svarc. R. 1870 nádenik Frantisek Svarc,
                        manzelka Anna Lisková z Kalubic, r. 1881 horník Václav Svarc + 1032-79 let,
                        manzelka Josefa + 1914-62 let. Jejich syn zeleznicár Karel Svarc + 1951-65 let
                        mel chalupu od roku 1914. Po jeho syn zelezicár Václav Svarc, manzelka Juliana
                        Wágnerová z Vojtanova u Chebu.
                      • Martina Morrisová
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 26, 2007
                          House # 72. Since being built it belongs to Svarc family. In the year 1842 it was built by shoemaker Antonic Svarc, 1848 son Vojtech Svarc. 1870 day labourer Frantisek Svarc, wife Anna Liskova from Kalubice, year 1881 miner Vaclav Svarc + 1932 - 79 years old, wife Josefa + 1914 - 32 years old. Their son, railroader Karel Svarc + 1951 - 65 years old, he owned a cottage from 1914. After him son railroader Vaclav Svarc, wife Juliana Wagnerova from Vojtanov u Chebu.

                          Have a great day! Martina

                          > Od: Diann Biltz <diannbiltz@...>
                          > Předmět: [TexasCzechs] Help in translating
                          > Datum: 25.7.2007 21:13:11
                          > Can anyone help me translate the following: It is a section of the history of
                          > Mestecko, CR (Bohemia) which describes the inhabitants of House # 72 in this
                          > village from early 1600s to late 1990s.
                          >
                          > Pop. c. 72. Od svého postavení patrí rodu Svarcu. Roku 1842 ji stavel svec
                          > Antonin Svarc, r. 1848 syn Vojtech Svarc. R. 1870 nádenik Frantisek Svarc,
                          > manzelka Anna Lisková z Kalubic, r. 1881 horník Václav Svarc + 1032-79 let,
                          > manzelka Josefa + 1914-62 let. Jejich syn zeleznicár Karel Svarc + 1951-65 let
                          > mel chalupu od roku 1914. Po jeho syn zelezicár Václav Svarc, manzelka Juliana
                          > Wágnerová z Vojtanova u Chebu.

                        • Sir John
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 26, 2007
                            Martina,

                            I have nothing to do with the Svarc family, but just want to thank you for your assists from time to time on this list.  We appreciate it.

                            Sir John

                            Martina Morrisová <morrisova@...> wrote:
                            House # 72. Since being built it belongs to Svarc family. In the year 1842 it was built by shoemaker Antonic Svarc, 1848 son Vojtech Svarc. 1870 day labourer Frantisek Svarc, wife Anna Liskova from Kalubice, year 1881 miner Vaclav Svarc + 1932 - 79 years old, wife Josefa + 1914 - 32 years old. Their son, railroader Karel Svarc + 1951 - 65 years old, he owned a cottage from 1914. After him son railroader Vaclav Svarc, wife Juliana Wagnerova from Vojtanov u Chebu.

                            Have a great day! Martina

                            Yahoo! Groups Links

                            <*> Your email settings:
                            Individual Email | Traditional

                            <*> To change settings online go to:
                            (Yahoo! ID required)

                            <*> To change settings via email:
                            mailto:TexasCzechs-digest@yahoogroups.com
                            mailto:TexasCzechs-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                          • Diann Biltz
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 26, 2007
                              Thanks Martina, hopefully this will help me interpret some 100 other homes in
                              this town.

                              Martina Morrisová wrote:
                              > House # 72. Since being built it belongs to Svarc family. In the year
                              > 1842 it was built by shoemaker Antonic Svarc, 1848 son Vojtech Svarc.
                              > 1870 day labourer Frantisek Svarc, wife Anna Liskova from Kalubice,
                              > year 1881 miner Vaclav Svarc + 1932 - 79 years old, wife Josefa +
                              > 1914 - 32 years old. Their son, railroader Karel Svarc + 1951 - 65
                              > years old, he owned a cottage from 1914. After him son railroader
                              > Vaclav Svarc, wife Juliana Wagnerova from Vojtanov u Chebu.
                              >

                              > Have a great day! Martina

                            • Richard
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jul 30, 2007
                                Hello Martina,

                                I have some handwritten information that I am wanting to understand
                                better. The parts I don't understand are the "fields" after the
                                individual name that also has numbers in it.

                                It is very short, and repetitive, because it is a listing of
                                citizens. I just want to understand what is in the listed information
                                for my highlighted ancestor. I have scanned it, and can attach it to
                                an email.

                                Thank you!
                                Richard
                              • Martina Morrisová
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jul 31, 2007
                                  Sure, send it to me and I will look at it.

                                  Martina