Help in translating

  • Lois Petter Pereira
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 31, 2000
      I need to know the meanings of these words:
      stolar with an hacek over the r.
      and otakar
      I found the rest on the on-line dictionary but not these. Thanks....lois

      --
      Lois Petter Pereira
      Kaskie, Maciejeski, Manak, Nauger, Ollre, Orsag, Orsak, Otjen, Papiz,
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 31, 2000
        Hi Lois,
        stolar, see truhlar=cabinet maker
        as to otakar, perhaps a native speaker knows this word.
        Can you tell us in what context you found these words?
        Rick Garza

        On Sun, 31 Dec 2000 20:44:54 -0600 Lois Petter Pereira
        <epereira@...> writes:
        > I need to know the meanings of these words:
        > stolar with an hacek over the r.
        > and otakar
        > I found the rest on the on-line dictionary but not these.
        > Thanks....lois
        >
        > --
        > Lois Petter Pereira
        > Researching Ahlhorn, Bokemeyer, Brdusik, Bruntrig, Cordes, Filges,
        > Francis, Garney, Gebauer, Hadac, Hadash, Halla, Hauser, Hoelschel,
        > Kaskie, Maciejeski, Manak, Nauger, Ollre, Orsag, Orsak, Otjen,
        > Papiz,
        > Pavlik, Pereira, Petter, Polasek, Pratka, Psencik, Rada, Rohan,
        > Sablatura, Schaub, Schroeder, Slovack, Susil, Tiemann, Urban, Weiser

        GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
        http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
      • Lois Petter Pereira
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 1, 2001
          I am making an index to all the names of the book, Ëmigration to Texas from the Mistek District", and I am running into translation problems. Stolar and Otakar appears to be occupations. I found most of the words in the Czech dictionary on line but not these 2. I also need help in translating names.
          Otmar
          Bohumir
          Vladimir
          Albin
          Cenek
          Vojteck
          Ignac
          Bozena
          Jedrich
          Libuse
          Petrolina
          Now some of these names sound German or Russian to me and I guess that's why they aren't in the dictionary. Any help anyone? I promise to share once I am done.....This book is my bible and it seems to be the case with most Fayette Co. Czechs. I feel the index will be helpful and it certainly will not take away from buying the book. It will list what page to find the name on and parents and spouses names if known. Just another tool for a quicker looker upper.........lois

          <epereira@...> writes:
          > I need to know the meanings of these words:
          > stolar with an hacek over the r.
          > and otakar
          > I found the rest on the on-line dictionary but not these.
          > Thanks....lois
          >
          > --
          > Lois Petter Pereira
          > Researching Ahlhorn, Bokemeyer, Brdusik, Bruntrig, Cordes, Filges,
          > Francis, Garney, Gebauer, Hadac, Hadash, Halla, Hauser, Hoelschel,
          > Kaskie, Maciejeski, Manak, Nauger, Ollre, Orsag, Orsak, Otjen,
          > Papiz,
          > Pavlik, Pereira, Petter, Polasek, Pratka, Psencik, Rada, Rohan,
          > Sablatura, Schaub, Schroeder, Slovack, Susil, Tiemann, Urban, Weiser

          Lois Petter Pereira
          Researching Ahlhorn, Bokemeyer, Brdusik, Bruntrig, Cordes, Filges, Francis, Garney, Gebauer, Hadac, Hadash, Halla, Hauser, Hoelschel, Kaskie, Maciejeski, Manak, Nauger, Ollre, Orsag, Orsak, Otjen, Papiz, Pavlik, Pereira, Petter, Polasek, Pratka, Psencik, Rada, Rohan, Sablatura, Schaub, Schroeder, Slovack, Susil, Tiemann, Urban, Weiser

        • J.D.K. Chipps
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 1, 2001
            My dad's name was "Albin", which became americanized to "Alvin", and my
            grandfather was called "Jedrich", which became "Henry", if that helps.

            Good luck

            Lois Petter Pereira wrote:

            > I am making an index to all the names of the book, Ëmigration to Texas
            > from the Mistek District", and I am running into translation problems.
            > Stolar and Otakar appears to be occupations. I found most of the words
            > in the Czech dictionary on line but not these 2. I also need help in
            > translating names.
            > Otmar
            > Bohumir
            > Vladimir
            > Albin
            > Cenek
            > Vojteck
            > Ignac
            > Bozena
            > Jedrich
            > Libuse
            > Petrolina
            > Now some of these names sound German or Russian to me and I guess
            > that's why they aren't in the dictionary. Any help anyone? I promise
            > to share once I am done.....This book is my bible and it seems to be
            > the case with most Fayette Co. Czechs. I feel the index will be
            > helpful and it certainly will not take away from buying the book. It
            > will list what page to find the name on and parents and spouses names
            > if known. Just another tool for a quicker looker upper.........lois
            >
            > Richard Garza wrote:
            >
            > > Hi Lois,
            > > stolar, see truhlar=cabinet maker
            > > as to otakar, perhaps a native speaker knows this word.
            > > Can you tell us in what context you found these words?
            > > Rick Garza
            > >

            > > On Sun, 31 Dec 2000 20:44:54 -0600 Lois Petter Pereira
            > > <epereira@...> writes:
            > > > I need to know the meanings of these words:
            > > > stolar with an hacek over the r.
            > > > and otakar
            > > > I found the rest on the on-line dictionary but not these.
            > > > Thanks....lois
            > > >
            > > > --
            > > > Lois Petter Pereira
            > > > Researching Ahlhorn, Bokemeyer, Brdusik, Bruntrig, Cordes, Filges,
            > >
            > > > Francis, Garney, Gebauer, Hadac, Hadash, Halla, Hauser, Hoelschel,
            > >
            > > > Kaskie, Maciejeski, Manak, Nauger, Ollre, Orsag, Orsak, Otjen,
            > > > Papiz,
            > > > Pavlik, Pereira, Petter, Polasek, Pratka, Psencik, Rada, Rohan,
            > > > Sablatura, Schaub, Schroeder, Slovack, Susil, Tiemann, Urban,
            > > Weiser

            > --
            > Lois Petter Pereira
            > Researching Ahlhorn, Bokemeyer, Brdusik, Bruntrig, Cordes, Filges,
            > Francis, Garney, Gebauer, Hadac, Hadash, Halla, Hauser, Hoelschel,
            > Kaskie, Maciejeski, Manak, Nauger, Ollre, Orsag, Orsak, Otjen, Papiz,
            > Pavlik, Pereira, Petter, Polasek, Pratka, Psencik, Rada, Rohan,
            > Sablatura, Schaub, Schroeder, Slovack, Susil, Tiemann, Urban, Weiser

            --
            ARANDELING,ARMSTRONG,BLAZEK,BOWNE,BUCKMASTER,BURDG,BURDGE,CHAPIN
            DALRYMPLE,DERELL,GODFREY,HARBOUR,HOLBROOK,KAMENCAK,KINGMAN
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 1, 2001
              "J.D.K. Chipps" wrote:

              > My dad's name was "Albin", which became americanized to "Alvin", and my
              > grandfather was called "Jedrich", which became "Henry", if that helps.
              >
              > Good luck
              >
              > Lois Petter Pereira wrote:
              > >
              > > I am making an index to all the names of the book, Ëmigration to Texas
              > > from the Mistek District", and I am running into translation problems.
              > > Stolar and Otakar appears to be occupations. I found most of the words
              > > in the Czech dictionary on line but not these 2. I also need help in
              > > translating names.
              > > Otmar
              > > Bohumir
              > > Vladimir
              > > Albin
              > > Cenek
              > > Vojteck
              > > Ignac
              > > Bozena
              > > Jedrich
              > > Libuse
              > > Petrolina
              > > Now some of these names sound German or Russian to me and I guess
              > > that's why they aren't in the dictionary. Any help anyone? I promise
              > > to share once I am done.....This book is my bible and it seems to be
              > > the case with most Fayette Co. Czechs. I feel the index will be
              > > helpful and it certainly will not take away from buying the book. It
              > > will list what page to find the name on and parents and spouses names
              > > if known. Just another tool for a quicker looker upper.........lois
              > >
              > > Richard Garza wrote:
              > >
              > > > Hi Lois,
              > > > stolar, see truhlar=cabinet maker
              > > > as to otakar, perhaps a native speaker knows this word.
              > > > Can you tell us in what context you found these words?
              > > > Rick Garza

              > > > Weiser

              > D.M.Schlyter

              Bohumir = Godfrey
              Vladmir = None
              Albin = Albin
              Cenek = Vincent -I think Cenek is a nickname
              Vojteck = Albert, Adelbert
              Ignac = Ignatius
              Bozena = Beatrice
              Jedrich = did not find however Bedrich = Frederick
              Otmar = "
              Libuse = "
              Petrolina = "

              C. Petruy

              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 1, 2001
                I found Jindrich means Henry so possibly Jedrich could be taken from that. Thanks...lois

                Lois Petter Pereira wrote:

> [...]
                > Kaskie, Maciejeski, Manak, Nauger, Ollre, Orsag, Orsak, Otjen, Papiz,
                > Pavlik, Pereira, Petter, Polasek, Pratka, Psencik, Rada, Rohan,
                > Sablatura, Schaub, Schroeder, Slovack, Susil, Tiemann, Urban, Weiser

                --
                ARANDELING,ARMSTRONG,BLAZEK,BOWNE,BUCKMASTER,BURDG,BURDGE,CHAPIN
                DALRYMPLE,DERELL,GODFREY,HARBOUR,HOLBROOK,KAMENCAK,KINGMAN
                KOTRLA,KOTROLA,MACHALEC,MCNIEL,PAXSON,PONCIK,POWYES,READ,RHODEN-
                BAUGH,SANUDERS,SAUNDERS,SLAVIK,SMITH,TRACY(TRACEY),VITEK,WILLIS

                Lois Petter Pereira
                Researching Ahlhorn, Bokemeyer, Brdusik, Bruntrig, Cordes, Filges, Francis, Garney, Gebauer, Hadac, Hadash, Halla, Hauser, Hoelschel, Kaskie, Maciejeski, Manak, Nauger, Ollre, Orsag, Orsak, Otjen, Papiz, Pavlik, Pereira, Petter, Polasek, Pratka, Psencik, Rada, Rohan, Sablatura, Schaub, Schroeder, Slovack, Susil, Tiemann, Urban, Weiser

              • Loretta and David
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 1, 2001
                  Definition show to mean, maker, jointer, cabinet maker of little tables,
                  bedside table, dressing table, dressers. The other word is not found in
                  dictionary.
                  David B.

                • catspa37@webtv.net
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 1, 2001
                    According to Mourek's Old Bohemian Dictionary, a *stolar* is a carpenter
                    and *Otakar* is a first name.
                    A Reznicek
                  • Diana Proud
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 2, 2001

                      If Otakar is a first name, could it have become Oscar?

                      Diana Proud

                      Matias, Matijas, Matijeas, Matnas

                      From: Lois Petter Pereira
                      Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2001 08:50:15 -0600
                      Subject: Re: [TexasCzechs] Help in translating

                      I am making an index to all the names of the book, �migration to Texas

                      Richard Garza wrote:

                      > Hi Lois,
                      > stolar, see truhlar=cabinet maker
                      > as to otakar, perhaps a native speaker knows this word.
                      > Can you tell us in what context you found these words?
                      > Rick Garza
                      >

                      > On Sun, 31 Dec 2000 20:44:54 -0600 Lois Petter Pereira
                      > writes:
                      > > I need to know the meanings of these words:
                      > > stolar with an hacek over the r.
                      > > and otakar
                      > > I found the rest on the on-line dictionary but not these.
                      > > Thanks....lois
                      > >
                      > > --
                      > > Lois Petter Pereira
                      > > Researching Ahlhorn, Bokemeyer, Brdusik, Bruntrig, Cordes, Filges,
                      > > Francis, Garney, Gebauer, Hadac, Hadash, Halla, Hauser, Hoelschel,
                      > > Kaskie, Maciejeski, Manak, Nauger, Ollre, Orsag, Orsak, Otjen,
                      > > Papiz,
                      > > Pavlik, Pereira, Petter, Polasek, Pratka, Psencik, Rada, Rohan,
                      > > Sablatura, Schaub, Schroeder, Slovack, Susil, Tiemann, Urban, Weiser

                      > GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                      > http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
                      >
                      > eGroups Sponsor
                      [Click Here!]

                      Lois Petter Pereira
                      Kaskie, Maciejeski, Manak, Nauger, Ollre, Orsag, Orsak, Otjen, Papiz,
                      Sablatura, Schaub, Schroeder, Slovack, Susil, Tiemann, Urban, Weiser

                      Do You Yahoo!?

                    • Lois Petter Pereira
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 2, 2001
                        I am learning a lot. Stolar literally means table maker in Czech while truhlar means chest maker. In essence carpenter would fit in our modern times. They used more precise terms in Cz. I was also told Otakar is a surname. The most famous Czech Premysl's King was Otakar. This little project is teaching me something also.....lois

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 25, 2007
                          Can anyone help me translate the following: It is a section of the history of
                          Mestecko, CR (Bohemia) which describes the inhabitants of House # 72 in this
                          village from early 1600s to late 1990s.

                          Pop. c. 72. Od svého postavení patrí rodu Svarcu. Roku 1842 ji stavel svec
                          Antonin Svarc, r. 1848 syn Vojtech Svarc. R. 1870 nádenik Frantisek Svarc,
                          manzelka Anna Lisková z Kalubic, r. 1881 horník Václav Svarc + 1032-79 let,
                          manzelka Josefa + 1914-62 let. Jejich syn zeleznicár Karel Svarc + 1951-65 let
                          mel chalupu od roku 1914. Po jeho syn zelezicár Václav Svarc, manzelka Juliana
                          Wágnerová z Vojtanova u Chebu.
                        • Martina Morrisová
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 26, 2007
                            House # 72. Since being built it belongs to Svarc family. In the year 1842 it was built by shoemaker Antonic Svarc, 1848 son Vojtech Svarc. 1870 day labourer Frantisek Svarc, wife Anna Liskova from Kalubice, year 1881 miner Vaclav Svarc + 1932 - 79 years old, wife Josefa + 1914 - 32 years old. Their son, railroader Karel Svarc + 1951 - 65 years old, he owned a cottage from 1914. After him son railroader Vaclav Svarc, wife Juliana Wagnerova from Vojtanov u Chebu.

                            Have a great day! Martina

                            > Od: Diann Biltz <diannbiltz@...>
                            > Předmět: [TexasCzechs] Help in translating
                            > Datum: 25.7.2007 21:13:11
                            > Can anyone help me translate the following: It is a section of the history of
                            > Mestecko, CR (Bohemia) which describes the inhabitants of House # 72 in this
                            > village from early 1600s to late 1990s.
                            >
                            > Pop. c. 72. Od svého postavení patrí rodu Svarcu. Roku 1842 ji stavel svec
                            > Antonin Svarc, r. 1848 syn Vojtech Svarc. R. 1870 nádenik Frantisek Svarc,
                            > manzelka Anna Lisková z Kalubic, r. 1881 horník Václav Svarc + 1032-79 let,
                            > manzelka Josefa + 1914-62 let. Jejich syn zeleznicár Karel Svarc + 1951-65 let
                            > mel chalupu od roku 1914. Po jeho syn zelezicár Václav Svarc, manzelka Juliana
                            > Wágnerová z Vojtanova u Chebu.

                          • Sir John
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 26, 2007
                              Martina,

                              I have nothing to do with the Svarc family, but just want to thank you for your assists from time to time on this list.  We appreciate it.

                              Sir John

                              Martina Morrisová <morrisova@...> wrote:
                              House # 72. Since being built it belongs to Svarc family. In the year 1842 it was built by shoemaker Antonic Svarc, 1848 son Vojtech Svarc. 1870 day labourer Frantisek Svarc, wife Anna Liskova from Kalubice, year 1881 miner Vaclav Svarc + 1932 - 79 years old, wife Josefa + 1914 - 32 years old. Their son, railroader Karel Svarc + 1951 - 65 years old, he owned a cottage from 1914. After him son railroader Vaclav Svarc, wife Juliana Wagnerova from Vojtanov u Chebu.

                              Have a great day! Martina

                              Yahoo! Groups Links

                              <*> Your email settings:
                              Individual Email | Traditional

                              <*> To change settings online go to:
                              (Yahoo! ID required)

                              <*> To change settings via email:
                              mailto:TexasCzechs-digest@yahoogroups.com
                              mailto:TexasCzechs-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                            • Diann Biltz
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jul 26, 2007
                                Thanks Martina, hopefully this will help me interpret some 100 other homes in
                                this town.

                                Martina Morrisová wrote:
                                > House # 72. Since being built it belongs to Svarc family. In the year
                                > 1842 it was built by shoemaker Antonic Svarc, 1848 son Vojtech Svarc.
                                > 1870 day labourer Frantisek Svarc, wife Anna Liskova from Kalubice,
                                > year 1881 miner Vaclav Svarc + 1932 - 79 years old, wife Josefa +
                                > 1914 - 32 years old. Their son, railroader Karel Svarc + 1951 - 65
                                > years old, he owned a cottage from 1914. After him son railroader
                                > Vaclav Svarc, wife Juliana Wagnerova from Vojtanov u Chebu.
                                >

                                > Have a great day! Martina

                              • Richard
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jul 30, 2007
                                  Hello Martina,

                                  I have some handwritten information that I am wanting to understand
                                  better. The parts I don't understand are the "fields" after the
                                  individual name that also has numbers in it.

                                  It is very short, and repetitive, because it is a listing of
                                  citizens. I just want to understand what is in the listed information
                                  for my highlighted ancestor. I have scanned it, and can attach it to
                                  an email.

                                  Thank you!
                                  Richard
                                • Martina Morrisová
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jul 31, 2007
                                    Sure, send it to me and I will look at it.

                                    Martina