Millie Broz-William StepanMartin Stepan Family.rtf
hauser; Selma, who married F
Martin Stepan Sr. was born February 12, 1826, and came to Texas from Hostalkova, Moravia. His wife, Bozena (Bessie) Zapalac, was born in 1836, and came from Krozenkova, Czechoslovakia. They settled at Wesley, Texas, and farmed there. Martin died in 1898 and Bessie died in 1906. They are buried at Wesley.
Their son, Martin Jr. born May 7, 1859, at Ross Prairie, Fayette County, moved to Austin County and settled near Bleiberville with his parents. Martin Jr. married in 1883, Mary Zabcik, born in 1861, near Cat Spring, Austin County, and in 1890 they moved to Bell County and settled near Ocker. There they purchased 100 acres which they cleared, farmed and lived on all their lives.
Stepan was a charter member of the Ocker Lodge #1 of the Farmers Mutual Protective Association (R.V.O.S.) which formed April 6,1901. He served as director of the lodge, and also served as treasurer of Flag Hall, SPJST Lodge #24 for over 20 years. He was a trustee of North Elm School for a number of years, was self-educated and could speak four languages: Czech, German, English and Spanish. Stepan was one of the founders of the Ocker Brethren Church and served as elder and was one of the first delegates to be sent to the church convention.
The entire Stepan family were members ofOcker Brethren Church, the children were all confirmed there and two of the children, Adolph and Ella Poncik, are still members of this church.
Martin and Mary Zabcik Stepan had 15 children:
1. *Mayy (b. Dec. 29, 1883) married *Frank Petrek.
2. *John (b. Feb. 8,1886) married *Lucy Petrek.
3. *MartinJ. (b. July 15, 1887) married *Cecelia Vingler.
4.Joe (b. Sept. 5,1889) married Rosie Martinec. They are buried in Hillcrest Cemetery at Temple.
5. “‘Annie (b. Dec. 30, 1890) married *William Koppa.
6. Frank R. (b. Apr. 23, 1892) married Lydia Martinec. They are buried in Hillcrest Cemetery at Temple.
7. William (Will) (b. May 29, 1894) married Millie Broz (Brosch). They are buried at Rosenburg, Texas.
8. Charlie (b. Oct. 15, 1895) married Olga Matulik. They are buried at Cyclone.
9. *Alf~~d (b. Nov. 9,1897) married Lydia Schiller.
10. Amalie (b. Feb. 12, 1900) marriedJohnnie Fritsch, and they live in Corpus Christi.
11. Rudolph (b. Jan. 27, 1903) married Annie Laza. They are buried at Seaton.
12. Adolph (b. Sept. 10, 1904) married Fannie Schiller. They live at Zabcikville.
13. Ella (b. Nov. 19, 1906) married Frank Poncik and lives in Rogers.
*Mary Zabcik Stepan died January 25, 1928, and
*Martin died November 10, 1935.
*Buried, Ocker Cemetery
Submitted by Juanita Stepan Cable