Safe Sending

  • George Patrick
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 4, 2006
      Do you really know how to forward e-mails? 50% of us do; 50% DO NOT.

      Do you wonder why you get viruses or junk mail? Do you hate it?

      Every time you forward an e-mail there is information left over from the
      people who got the message before you, namely their e-mail addresses & names. As
      the messages get forwarded along, the list of addresses builds, and builds,
      and builds, and all it takes is for some poor sap to get a virus, and his or
      her computer can send that virus to every E-mail address that has come across
      his computer. Or, someone can take all of those addresses and sell them or
      send junk mail to them in the hopes that you will go to the site and he will make
      five cents for each hit. That's right, all of that inconvenience over a
      nickel! How do you stop it?

      Well, there are two easy steps:

      (1) When you forward e-mail, DELETE all of the other addresses that appear in
      the body of the message (at the top). That's right; DELETE them. Highlight
      them and delete them, backspace them, cut them, whatever it is you know how to
      do. It only takes a second. You MUST click the "Forward" button first and
      then you will have full editing capabilities against the body and headers of
      the message. If you don't click on "Forward" first, you won't be able to edit
      the message at all.

      (2) Whenever you send an e-mail to more than one person, do NOT use the To:
      or Cc: columns for adding e-mail address. Always use the BCC: (blind carbon
      copy) column for listing the e-mail addresses. This is the way that people you
      send to only see their own e-mail address. If you don't see your BCC: option
      click on where it says To: and your address list will appear. Highlight the
      address and choose BCC: and that's it, it's that easy. When you send to BCC:
      your message will automatically say "Undisclosed Recipients in the "TO:" field
      of the people who receive it.

      (3) Remove any "FW:" in the subject line. You can rename the subject if you
      wish or even fix spelling.

      (4) ALWAYS hit your Forward button from the actual e-mail you're reading....
      Ever get those e-mails that you have to open 10 pages to read the one page
      with the information on it? By Forwarding from the actual page you wish
      someone to view, you stop them from having to open many e-mails just to see what you
      sent.

      Have you ever gotten an email that is a petition? It states a position
      And asks you to add your name and address and to forward it to 10 or 15
      people or your entire address book. The email can be forwarded on and on and can
      collect thousands of names and email addresses.

      A FACT: The completed petition is actually worth a couple of bucks to a
      professional spammer because of the wealth of valid names and email addresses
      contained therein. If you want to support the petition, send it as your own
      personal letter to the intended recipient. Your position may carry more weight as a
      personal letter than a laundry list of names and email addresses on a
      petition.

      So please, in the future, let's stop the junk mail and the viruses.

      Finally, here's an idea!! Let's send this to everyone we know (but strip my
      address off first). This is something that SHOULD be forwarded.
    • Martin Stepan
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 4, 2006
        Thank you George for tell every one this. It makes me mad when I have to go through hald dozen emails just to get to the topic. I do this when I forward everything
        Dorothy Stepan