New Colony, Tx.rtf

  • George Patrick
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 4, 2006
      Handbook of Texas Online: NEW COLONY, TX

      Handbook of Texas Online: NEW COLONY, TX

      TI IL

      Online

      I [AN DF~()OK

      OF TEXAS

      return to handbook vie~

      NEW COLONY, TEXAS (Bell County). New Colony is a tiny rural community located at the junction of Farm Road 2184 and New Colony Road about fifteen miles southeast of Temple in eastern Bell County. In 1905 Czech families from the Central Texas towns of Taylor and Elgin arrived in the area along Elm Creek. These settlers included the Jezek, Jirasev, Shiller, Dusek, and Shenkir families. In January 1907 the Vine Shiller farm became the site of the first meeting to organize a lodge of the Slavonic Benevolent Order of the State of Texas (SPJST), a fraternal benefit society. The fledgling lodge and surrounding community chose the name Nova Osada or New Colony. Pioneers John and Frances Shenkir donated an acre for the first lodge hall in 1908. In 1909 a school opened in the one            Note to "Jezek" family researchers.  While looking for information about my grandparents farm in New Colony, Tx, I ran across this and thought you might be interested.

      George-room lodge and became known as “Blue School” because of its exterior color. A three-room school was constructed on the site in the early 1 920s. New Colony School was shown on county highway maps in the 1930s and served area children into the 1940s, when it consolidated with the nearby Rogers Independent School District. After the schoolhouse was removed from the site the Leedale Extension Homemakers Club built a community center there in the 1 950s which served as the hub of area activities as well as home for SPJST Lodge #69. The lodge disbanded, however, in December 1971. In 1995 the New Colony School site was commemorated with a Texas Historical Marker. Though the 1990 and 2000 censuses listed only four residents in New Colony, the community was still shown on highway maps.

      BIBLIOGRAPHY: Bell County Historical Commission, Story of Bell County, Texas (2 vols., Austin: Eakin Press, 1988).

      Bell County History (Fort Worth: University Supply and Equipment Company, 1958). Marker files, Texas Historical

      Commission, Austin (New Colony School).

      Laurie E. Jasinski

      The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

      Handbook of Texas Online, s.v. “NEW COLONY, TX7 http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online/articles/NN/hnn49.htrnl

      (accessed April 27, 2006).

      (NOTE: “s.v.” stands for sub verbo, “under the word.”)

      The Handbook of Texas Online is ajoint project of The General Libraries at the University of Texas at Austin (http://www.lib.utexas.edu) and the Texas State Historical Association (http://www.tsha.utexas.edu).

      Copyright ©, The Texas State Historical Association, 1997-2002

      Last Updated: December 2, 2005

      Please send us your comments.

      Page 1 of 1

      http://www.tsha.utexas.edulhandbooklonline/articles/NN/hnn49print.html                                                         4/27/2006

    • d1jezek@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 4, 2006
        This is the Jezek family i'm decended from.  it is also an example of the Dusek/Hejl/Jezek/Marek/Shiller clan effect that i've noticed.  Here, the Jezeks, Shillers and Duseks all have resettled in a new area and remained neighbors.  The Jezeks have all these names in their ancestry, and the families will continue to intermarry from here.  I have noticed in other people's charts that if one of these names turns up, the likelihood of several of the other names is very high.  are there other groupings like this that anyone has noticed?

        David Jezek
      • George Patrick
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 4, 2006
          David,
          Martin Stepan bought each of his children a farm most of which were located in New Colony  and Ocker.  My grandmother was a Stepan who married a Petrek and they had a son named George who married a Dusek(George and Ella Petrek from Dallas).  My grandparents had My grandmother's sister and her husband living in the farm nex to her and a brother and his wife with the farm on the other side of their farm.  Then, she had a brother who owned another farm directly across the road from her and another brother who married a Shiller who lived a bit down the road on Elm Creek.  My father attended the "Blue School" until the 5th grade when he was asked to stay home and work on the farm.

          George
          This is the Jezek family i'm decended from.  it is also an example of the Dusek/Hejl/Jezek/Marek/Shiller clan effect that i've noticed.  Here, the Jezeks, Shillers and Duseks all have resettled in a new area and remained neighbors.  The Jezeks have all these names in their ancestry, and the families will continue to intermarry from here.  I have noticed in other people's charts that if one of these names turns up, the likelihood of several of the other names is very high.  are there other groupings like this that anyone has noticed?

          David Jezek

          Checked by AVG Free Edition.