Re: [TexasCzechs] Czech Translation

  • livanec@aol.com
    Message 1 of 23 , May 26 6:56 AM
      Yes, it is called "Once upon a time on a Sunday" waltz. Played by the Dujka brothers.
    • Joe
      Message 2 of 23 , May 26 12:03 PM
        On Fri, 26 May 2006 08:00:20 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

        >I think so, however, I have never seen a bagpipper in a czech band.Ennis, Tx. is having it 40th Annual Polka Festival this week-end. Kolaces, and all the good Czech food and dancing in real Prague krojs.
        >
        >livanec@... wrote: Thank you. I believe you meant a carka above the A. Then would dudacek mean a small bagpipper?

        And the Dujka Brothers will be playing tomorrow, Saturday at the SOKOL
        hall starting at 11:00 am. We will be there.

        Actually there is a carka above the "a" and a hacek above the "c", if
        I remember my Czech spelling correctly.
      • Lois Petter Pereira
        Message 3 of 23 , May 26 12:42 PM
          I may be mistaken but didn't Lillian Spivonka have a film at the CHS library about Czech bagpipers. That was the first I had heard them having them but what do I know. I have never been there...lois petter pereira

          Message 4 of 23 , May 26 2:27 PM
            Yes, there was a demonstration by two gentlemen going around the state
            presenting "Call of Dudy", about a month ago. I saw them in West and
            bought their interesting CD. One of these gentlemen has a Fulbright
            scholarship to study bagpipes in the Czech Republic, so he was very
            knowledgeable. It seems that bagpipes are "BIG" in the Czech Republic
            and they even hold an international bagpipe festival in Strakonice, CR
            once a year. I would think the CHS library has the CD. I don't know
            if the West Chapter library has one.

            On Fri, 26 May 2006 12:42:43 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

            >I may be mistaken but didn't Lillian Spivonka have a film at the CHS library about Czech bagpipers. That was the first I had heard them having them but what do I know. I have never been there...lois petter pereira
            >
            >Joe <a0010631@...> wrote: On Fri, 26 May 2006 08:00:20 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:
            >
            >>I think so, however, I have never seen a bagpipper in a czech band.Ennis, Tx. is having it 40th Annual Polka Festival this week-end. Kolaces, and all the good Czech food and dancing in real Prague krojs.
            >>
            >>livanec@... wrote: Thank you. I believe you meant a carka above the A. Then would dudacek mean a small bagpipper?
            >

            >And the Dujka Brothers will be playing tomorrow, Saturday at the SOKOL
            >hall starting at 11:00 am. We will be there.
            >
            >Actually there is a carka above the "a" and a hacek above the "c", if
            >I remember my Czech spelling correctly.
            >

            >Remember: You can alway set your account to Digest Mode for less mail.

            > Czech glass bead Czech bead Czech glass Learn czech Czech travel Czech

            >---------------------------------
            >

            >Lois Petter Pereira
            >Researching Petter, Vitek, Bartos, Papez, Polasek, Kostelnik, Rada, Hlavica, Orsak, Urban, Susil, Manak, Rosenzwieg, Brdusikova, Halla, Psencikove, Slovakove, Susila, Susily
          • frenstatczech1954
            Message 5 of 23 , May 26 3:36 PM
              --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, Dolores Miller <texassanta5@...>
              wrote:

              > In my old Czech Dictionary a dudak (with the hacek above the a) is a
              bagpiper.

              > livanec@... wrote: Does anyone know what the Czech word dudacek
              (hacek above the C) means. I am translating some Tex- Czech polkas and
              waltzs.This word is not in my dictionary.

              When we visited family in Frenstat CR we had the privilege of hearing
              someone play the dudy (bagpipe). It is a bagpipe, but not like the ones
              you see around here or what you think of when someone talks about a
              bagpipe. They are sort of strange looking because they are made out of
              the skins of goats. Bernadette Polansky
            • Richard A Garza
              Message 6 of 23 , May 26 4:03 PM
                Hi Lois,
                        Yes, Lillian showed the film "Call of Dudy" about Bohemian bagpipes. Bagpipes are found in many cultures. Goat skins were the original source material. The Czech bagpipes are similar to the ones in Ireland.
                        In fact, there is a famous czech folk tale about the Bagpiper of Strakonice and a nice opera was written by Weinberger based on the Strakonice story called "Schwanda the Bagpiper" (Schwanda der Dudelsackpfeifer).
                Rick Garza
                Sharing. It's what it's all about!
                http://www.texasczechs.homestead.com/

                "Austin County = Birthplace of Czech Immigration to Texas"

                On Fri, 26 May 2006 12:42:43 -0700 (PDT) Lois Petter Pereira writes:
                I may be mistaken but didn't Lillian Pivonka have a film at the CHS library about Czech bagpipers. That was the first I had heard them having them but what do I know. I have never been there...lois petter pereira

                On Fri, 26 May 2006 08:00:20 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

                >I think so, however, I have never seen a bagpipper in a czech band.

              • bill raley
                Message 7 of 23 , May 28 6:43 AM
                  In Moravia, the bagpipes are called Gajdy and a
                  bagpiper is a Gajdosik. I think they are kinda
                  different from the Czech ones.

                  Mockrat dekuju,

                  Vilem

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • livanec@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 23 , Nov 9, 2007
                     I want the proper spelling of "God Bless America" in Czech. I want to use it in my letter writing as an ending.

                    Thanks
                    Allen Livanec
                    Deer Park, TX

                  • Martina Morrisová
                    Message 9 of 23 , Nov 10, 2007
                      Buh zehnej Americe. There is a little circle above u in Buh and a little hook above z in zehnej.

                      Martina

                      > Od: <livanec@...>
                      > Předmět: [TexasCzechs] Czech Translation
                      > Datum: 10.11.2007 00:06:34
                      > I want the proper spelling of "God Bless America" in Czech. I want to use it
                      > in my letter writing as an ending.
                      >
                      > Thanks
                      > Allen Livanec
                      > Deer Park, TX

                    • bigvenfan
                      Message 10 of 23 , Aug 7, 2016
                      I've attached a photo of an article written in Czech...hoping that someone can provide a translation into English for me...Thanks...Ron