RE: [TexasCzechs] Back in 1891-where is Wein, Austria

  • S. R.
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 2, 2006
      I looked at Leo Baca's list at the Newberry Library in Chicago on Saturday.  It would take many hours to look at ever list in the 10 or so books.
      Your village could be a number of them that came up in today Czech Republic
      Černovice, Czernowitz 49°11' 16°39' 1  15.7 miles ESE of Praha
      Černovice, Tschernowitz  50°27' 13°22'    54.8 miles WNW of Praha
      Čerňovice, Scherlomitz  Černovice, Czarlowitz  Černovice, Černowitz
      Černovice, Černowitz
      If some change the Z to a C with v mark   and the M is a EN in script

      most likely is Žernovice 49°02' 14°02' 75.1 miles SSW of Praha  of the 222 close matches by :  ShtetlSeeker  http://www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/LocTown.asp

      Simon R. "Sam" Križan       SRkrizan@...  1.847.398.7812

      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 2, 2006
        What a fascinating story.
        Thanks for sharing.  It's amazing when you have documentation and people still want to believe oral stories.  Some people are really set in their ways.

        Thanks,   Debra
      • miladyolga@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 2, 2006
          Sounds like many of us have a story we could share about such.
        • miladyolga@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 2, 2006
            The web site is interesting.  thanks for sharing
            Debra
          • J.D. Kotrla-Chipps
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 2, 2006
              I have documentation too, on my grandfather.  It lists him as KOTROLA instead of KOTRLA.  He decided he wanted it spelled with the extra "O" so he got a crone to go in with him and declare he was born KOTROLA, so the county changed it based on their declarations, which were, by the way, false.

              I also have this documentation on my great-grandmother:

              "Register of Deaths Williamson Co., TX"

              Listing for Emil J. Vitek, lists mother as Agnes Slovik

              Listing for Charles Vitek (brother to Emil), lists mother as Annie Slacek

              "Obituaries of the Czech Moravian Brethern in Texas, (1905-1973) Stacy Labaj nee Mikulencak"

              K-99 Obituary for Frances Kotrla, nee Vitek lists mother as Anna Slacik.

              Note:  Emil, Charles, Frances were siblings, and Anna was their mother.  Correct spelling of her name is "Slacik".

              I'm just saying that the "documentation" isn't always the final word, or the accurate information either.

              miladyolga@... wrote:
              What a fascinating story.
              Thanks for sharing.  It's amazing when you have documentation and people still want to believe oral stories.  Some people are really set in their ways.

              Thanks,   Debra

            • Zdenek Malcik
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 3, 2006
                Hello,

                In the Czech Republic is a third flood since 1997, you
                can read some news in English at
                http://www.ceskenoviny.cz/news/ or
                http://www.radio.cz/en/

                Zdenek Malcik