RE: [TexasCzechs] Back in 1891-where is Wein, Austria

  • Pat Lyon
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 2, 2006

      Regarding family lore:  I had a similar experience, having dug out myriad documents showing my grandparents immigrated from Moravia with the eldest 4 children and only the youngest was born in Texas, the grandson of the other sister insisted that “grandma said she was born in Texas and grandma would never lie!”  (this, even though she lists herself on a census  as “born in Moravia).  Interesting.  I also had a hard time convincing my immediate family that my grandmother was the eldest and was born in Moravia while her sister was born in Texas, because the family had always believed Grandma Klara was born “on the high seas” and was the youngest.  There is still skepticism regardless of the documents.

      Pat Sommerfeld Lyon

      Researching:  Urban, Orsak, Svach, Simik, Vavra, Gaas, Kunetka, et al

    • S. R.
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 2, 2006
        I looked at Leo Baca's list at the Newberry Library in Chicago on Saturday.  It would take many hours to look at ever list in the 10 or so books.
        Your village could be a number of them that came up in today Czech Republic
        Černovice, Czernowitz 49°11' 16°39' 1  15.7 miles ESE of Praha
        Černovice, Tschernowitz  50°27' 13°22'    54.8 miles WNW of Praha
        Čerňovice, Scherlomitz  Černovice, Czarlowitz  Černovice, Černowitz
        Černovice, Černowitz
        If some change the Z to a C with v mark   and the M is a EN in script

        most likely is Žernovice 49°02' 14°02' 75.1 miles SSW of Praha  of the 222 close matches by :  ShtetlSeeker  http://www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/LocTown.asp

        Simon R. "Sam" Križan       SRkrizan@...  1.847.398.7812

        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 2, 2006
          What a fascinating story.
          Thanks for sharing.  It's amazing when you have documentation and people still want to believe oral stories.  Some people are really set in their ways.

          Thanks,   Debra
        • miladyolga@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 2, 2006
            Sounds like many of us have a story we could share about such.
          • miladyolga@aol.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 2, 2006
              The web site is interesting.  thanks for sharing
              Debra
            • J.D. Kotrla-Chipps
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 2, 2006
                I have documentation too, on my grandfather.  It lists him as KOTROLA instead of KOTRLA.  He decided he wanted it spelled with the extra "O" so he got a crone to go in with him and declare he was born KOTROLA, so the county changed it based on their declarations, which were, by the way, false.

                I also have this documentation on my great-grandmother:

                "Register of Deaths Williamson Co., TX"

                Listing for Emil J. Vitek, lists mother as Agnes Slovik

                Listing for Charles Vitek (brother to Emil), lists mother as Annie Slacek

                "Obituaries of the Czech Moravian Brethern in Texas, (1905-1973) Stacy Labaj nee Mikulencak"

                K-99 Obituary for Frances Kotrla, nee Vitek lists mother as Anna Slacik.

                Note:  Emil, Charles, Frances were siblings, and Anna was their mother.  Correct spelling of her name is "Slacik".

                I'm just saying that the "documentation" isn't always the final word, or the accurate information either.

                miladyolga@... wrote:
                What a fascinating story.
                Thanks for sharing.  It's amazing when you have documentation and people still want to believe oral stories.  Some people are really set in their ways.

                Thanks,   Debra

              • Zdenek Malcik
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 3, 2006
                  Hello,

                  In the Czech Republic is a third flood since 1997, you
                  can read some news in English at
                  http://www.ceskenoviny.cz/news/ or
                  http://www.radio.cz/en/

                  Zdenek Malcik