RE: [TexasCzechs] Back in 1891-where is Wein, Austria

  • Rachel
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 2 5:48 AM
      I found this link that should be helpful...but I don't understand the language..so maybe you might I don't know...but it IS interesting still... http://www.zum.de/whkmla/histatlas/germany/haxczech.html
      Also...if you can read it...this map I found may help as well...I had an unexpected eye injury last night and can't make out anything on the map period!

      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 2 7:54 AM
        Just a note to say that this confusion was part of my family history, too.  When my father and uncles entered the military here in the 40's, they had to have a form signed by their father (my grandfather, the immigrant) stating where he was born.   He swore that he was born in Wein, Austria, too.

        However, when I did my research (both from Leo Baca's ships' lists AND a paid genealogist in CR), the records showed that he was born in Borova, Bohemia.   Now none of my uncles  believe me when I tell them that Granddaddy was not born in Wein!   They still think it's just a matter of opinion (or some mistake) and they insist that Granddaddy must be right.  Guess the actual birth records (which I have on microfilm) don't carry as much weight as family lore!

        Now Granddaddy was only 5 years old when he immigrated with his parents and siblings, but his older brother, Frank, who was 7 at the time... also believed they were born in Wein.    I still can't figure out why they were so convinced otherwise, unless my Great grandparents decided to change their 'story' when they immigrated.   Since they didn't even seem to know their own birthdates (the whole family was off by as much as two years!) it seems that they just picked a city of choice and started a story line.

        It sure has made for some feisty conversation at the recent family gatherings!!

        Rebecca Kohout

        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 2 9:33 AM

          Regarding family lore:  I had a similar experience, having dug out myriad documents showing my grandparents immigrated from Moravia with the eldest 4 children and only the youngest was born in Texas, the grandson of the other sister insisted that “grandma said she was born in Texas and grandma would never lie!”  (this, even though she lists herself on a census  as “born in Moravia).  Interesting.  I also had a hard time convincing my immediate family that my grandmother was the eldest and was born in Moravia while her sister was born in Texas, because the family had always believed Grandma Klara was born “on the high seas” and was the youngest.  There is still skepticism regardless of the documents.

          Pat Sommerfeld Lyon

          Researching:  Urban, Orsak, Svach, Simik, Vavra, Gaas, Kunetka, et al

        • S. R.
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 2 10:43 AM
            I looked at Leo Baca's list at the Newberry Library in Chicago on Saturday.  It would take many hours to look at ever list in the 10 or so books.
            Your village could be a number of them that came up in today Czech Republic
            Černovice, Czernowitz 49°11' 16°39' 1  15.7 miles ESE of Praha
            Černovice, Tschernowitz  50°27' 13°22'    54.8 miles WNW of Praha
            Čerňovice, Scherlomitz  Černovice, Czarlowitz  Černovice, Černowitz
            Černovice, Černowitz
            If some change the Z to a C with v mark   and the M is a EN in script

            most likely is Žernovice 49°02' 14°02' 75.1 miles SSW of Praha  of the 222 close matches by :  ShtetlSeeker  http://www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/LocTown.asp

            Simon R. "Sam" Križan       SRkrizan@...  1.847.398.7812

            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 2 10:59 AM
              What a fascinating story.
              Thanks for sharing.  It's amazing when you have documentation and people still want to believe oral stories.  Some people are really set in their ways.

              Thanks,   Debra
            • miladyolga@aol.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 2 11:00 AM
                Sounds like many of us have a story we could share about such.
              • miladyolga@aol.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 2 11:07 AM
                  The web site is interesting.  thanks for sharing
                  Debra
                • J.D. Kotrla-Chipps
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 2 12:38 PM
                    I have documentation too, on my grandfather.  It lists him as KOTROLA instead of KOTRLA.  He decided he wanted it spelled with the extra "O" so he got a crone to go in with him and declare he was born KOTROLA, so the county changed it based on their declarations, which were, by the way, false.

                    I also have this documentation on my great-grandmother:

                    "Register of Deaths Williamson Co., TX"

                    Listing for Emil J. Vitek, lists mother as Agnes Slovik

                    Listing for Charles Vitek (brother to Emil), lists mother as Annie Slacek

                    "Obituaries of the Czech Moravian Brethern in Texas, (1905-1973) Stacy Labaj nee Mikulencak"

                    K-99 Obituary for Frances Kotrla, nee Vitek lists mother as Anna Slacik.

                    Note:  Emil, Charles, Frances were siblings, and Anna was their mother.  Correct spelling of her name is "Slacik".

                    I'm just saying that the "documentation" isn't always the final word, or the accurate information either.

                    miladyolga@... wrote:
                    What a fascinating story.
                    Thanks for sharing.  It's amazing when you have documentation and people still want to believe oral stories.  Some people are really set in their ways.

                    Thanks,   Debra

                  • Zdenek Malcik
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 3 8:58 AM
                      Hello,

                      In the Czech Republic is a third flood since 1997, you
                      can read some news in English at
                      http://www.ceskenoviny.cz/news/ or
                      http://www.radio.cz/en/

                      Zdenek Malcik