Czech Festivals

  • Jana Vaculik
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 21, 2006

      Hi

      I was wondering if anyone on the list would know of any festivals which happen regularly in the Czech Republic. Also if anyone went to one and enjoyed their experience please write to me personally or to the list.

      Are there any websites which have a listing of festivals? Any help would be appreciated.

      Thanks,

      Jana M. Vaculik(ova)

    • G. R. Bohuslav
      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 21, 2006
        I don't but while speaking of festivals, when will the Caldwell Kolache Festival be held this year?

        Gilbert

        Jana Vaculik <janavaculik@...> wrote:
        Hi
        I was wondering if anyone on the list would know of any festivals which happen regularly in the Czech Republic. Also if anyone went to one and enjoyed their experience please write to me personally or to the list.
        Are there any websites which have a listing of festivals? Any help would be appreciated.
        Thanks,
        Jana M. Vaculik(ova)

        Yahoo! Mail

      • dlmachu1@aol.com
        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 21, 2006
          Jana
          A festival will be in held in Frenstat in Moravia CR on May 20 and 21. This will be a 150 year  anniversary of when the first people left Czechoslovakia to come to Texas.
                                              Darwin
        • George Patrick
          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 22, 2006
            Darwin,
            Will the celebration include names and recognition of individual families who arrived in Texas in 1855?  For example, my Martin Stepan family arrived in Galveston aboard the Von Vineke in 1855.  In the Galveston Immigration Data Base, the surname is misspelled as "Stephan" rather than Stepan but it is the family.  Do you think information will be available to share with our Texas Czech group?  Just wondering?

            Curious George
            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 22, 2006
              Hi George
              I really do not know that much about it. My cousin is the organizer of the festival and he  wants me to come because my Grandmother came from Frenstat, and I have a lot of relatives in that area, I met about 60 of them when I was there 4 years ago. I will sent more details about the festival later.
              Darwin
            • George Patrick
              Message 6 of 22 , Mar 22, 2006
                Thank you.  The Stepan family was from Hostal Kova, Moravia.  The Zabcik family came over in 1856 and were from Ratibor--which I understand has had national boundries move back and forth around it several times.  My Petrik family came later about 1880 and were also Moravian.  I'm sure that all of us who are researching our early ancestors would appreciate an update from time to time.

                George
                Message 7 of 22 , Mar 23, 2006
                  A while back some one was asking about Czech Festivals.  One of the largest festivals is in Praha. Texas at St. Mary Assumption Church held every year on August 15th., the Feast Day of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary.  This is one of the famous painted churches of Texas in the Schulenberg area.  They call the festival "The Praska Pout" (spelling?)  All of these churches have adjoining cemeteries, some with tomb stones dating back to 1886.  There is a lot of  Czech history here. Our Senior's Group visited four or five of these churches.  Should you go, you must stop at the Schulenberg Chamber of Commerce and pick up a prearranged docent. The churches are locked, except at Praha on Aug. 15th.

                  http://mail.yahoo.com

                • fajkus3@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 22 , Mar 23, 2006
                    Please post any information you find out about the Czech festival in Frenstat, CR this May.  That is the time I plan to be in the Czech Republic, and may be able to get to Frenstat.
                  • livanec@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 22 , Mar 24, 2006
                      The Czech Heritage Society(Harris county chapter) is having it's 11th annual Czech SpringFest on April 9, 2006 at 1435 Beall St. Houston, Tx. at the SPJST Lodge #88 from 11 am - 7pm.
                    • Nangotoo
                      Message 10 of 22 , Mar 28, 2006
                        Does anyone know if there will be a book or any kind of thing I can purchase from that festival?  My gg-grandparents were part of that group who left Frenstat 150 yrs. ago and came to TX.  I would like to purchase anything that has to do with the history of their trip.  Is there a website for the festival?   Does anyone know if there will be a celebration in Fayette Co. about the same group of people arriving there?  I had heard that there was going to be, but then haven't been able to get any more info about it.  We would love to be there, if they have a celebration, to represent our family. I tried writing to the Fayette Co. genealogy board, but didn't get a reply from anyone.  That was sometime late last year.  Anyone have some info to share?

                        Nan

                        Message 11 of 22 , Mar 28, 2006
                          Nan,
                          I think Jana said it was being held in Frenstat, Moravia, CR.  Maybe I read it wrong?

                          George

                          Message 12 of 22 , Mar 28, 2006
                            The Czech Heritage Society (Harris County Chapter) is having it's 11th annual Czech SpringFest on April 9, 2006 at the SPJST Lodge #88 1435 Beall St. Houston, Texas at 11am till 7pm.
                          • fajkus3@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 22 , Mar 28, 2006
                              If anyone finds out any more details about this festival in Frenstat, Morvaia, please share.  My husbands family came from there and we are planning a trip in May.
                            • Nangotoo
                              Message 14 of 22 , Mar 29, 2006
                                Its okay--I know that, George.  :-)   I replied to his post about the festival in Frenstat in May first.   I *later* asked about *another* festival possibly being held in Fayette Co, TX, too.  I asked if anyone knew if it was still being planned for this year in Fayette Co..  It was mentioned to me last year online, but I haven't been able to find out anything about it. We were planning to go to TX and represent our family if they were going to have that 150 yr. commemoration.  I guess that must have fallen through.

                                 Go back over and read what I wrote again.  I SHOULD have put those two subjects in separate paragraphs, I guess.  I was tired last night and it was wayyy too late when I answered that post.  Sorry if I confused everybody.

                                I would still like to know if anyone knows how I can purchase some mementoes or books or whatever from the Frenstat Festival in May.  If anyone knows, PLEASE let me know. If someone has an address I can use to write to the festival leaders in Frenstat, would you share that with me?   I would cherish those mementoes forever (and pass them down in my family) because I know how hard it must have been for my gg-grandparents and their children to leave Frenstat and come to TX on that voyage in 1856.  It touches me deeply that they still remember those villagers/friends/ancestors and are going to have a festival honoring them. Just because of what that group of people did so long ago, they are honored in both their native land and in their new home and have never been forgotten.  It almost gives me a chill up my back to wonder what they would think about that.

                                There are a few others here whose ancestors shared that same voyage on the Anna Elize and the one following it that brought those first Czech families from Moravia to TX so they might want to know the same info.  Thanks in advance for any help.

                                Nan

                                >>Nan,
                                I think Jana said it was being held in Frenstat, Moravia, CR.  Maybe I read it wrong?

                                George<<

                                >>Does anyone know if there will be a book or any kind of thing I can purchase from that festival?  My gg-grandparents were part of that group who left Frenstat 150 yrs. ago and came to TX.  I would like to purchase anything that has to do with the history of their trip.  Is there a website for the festival?   Does anyone know if there will be a celebration in Fayette Co. about the same group of people arriving there?  I had heard that there was going to be, but then haven't been able to get any more info about it.  We would love to be there, if they have a celebration, to represent our family. I tried writing to the Fayette Co. genealogy board, but didn't get a reply from anyone.  That was sometime late last year.  Anyone have some info to share?  Nan<<

                                >>Jana
                                A festival will be in held in Frenstat in Moravia CR on May 20 and 21. This will be a 150 year  anniversary of when the first people left Czechoslovakia to come to Texas.
                                                                    Darwin<<

                              • tvart
                                Message 15 of 22 , Mar 29, 2006
                                  Hi all,
                                  First action to annual 150 years will do 28.4. 2006. Acts with about on
                                  horses racing and
                                  one from race apply with name "Big price Texasu" ( "GRAND PRIX of TEXAS").
                                  Is it agreement with local riding club.

                                  Further action to 150 flight with realize on Frenstat riding-hall 10. June
                                  near purposes jubilee 75 flight horsemanship in Frenstat.
                                  Count with participation peoples from Texas (as far as with find enough
                                  people) in terms of planned ways Patsy F. Robertson.

                                  10. June in 10 clock around is reservation festive mass in church St.
                                  Martin. This is agreement with priest Rudolf Swinczek
                                  Second mass with will do 23. September in 10 clock around too in church
                                  Saint Martin.

                                  19. and 20. May with on square realize festival dulcimer music.

                                  In August 2006 will on building No.3 on square (holder is Mr. Konvicka) set
                                  marker (memorial plague), that will for ever
                                  this anniversary remind of. Consent to placing this plague Mr Konvicka now
                                  gave, have left only ensure money for productions marker. Date I will
                                  specification later.

                                  25. and 26. August with on square will do Frenstat carnival of vallachian
                                  groups, at of which with again admonish about anniversary 150 flight
                                  emigration.

                                  On September 2006 plan plant tree (wahoos or whitewood? ) along with friends
                                  from Texas, who arrive in the group with Patsy F. Robertson Applied am lady
                                  Patsy about it, whether would from Texasu she could not bring tree, which
                                  would set respectively would with into Texasu drove tree from here (I think
                                  whitewood) , that would with set in Texasu.

                                  Inquire am with in community silent (wiilages) Morkov, Kozlovice,
                                  Trojanovice and next whether plan admonish about 150 years emigration from
                                  Moravia, but meanwhile shan't ripostes, how this anniversary want celebrate.

                                  In willage Kozlovice perhaps plant nothing , in willage silent yes and
                                  mostly action with prepare in Trojanovicích (field mass, cultural programme
                                  and next)

                                  It is in this sometime everything. As soon as I'll know more, send later

                                  If you want visit with Frenst√°t or Trojanovice and Lichnov, let me have
                                  news.

                                  George
                                  Jiri Unruh

                                  (excause my bad english)
                                • tvart
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Mar 29, 2006
                                    Hi all,
                                    programme of 150 year anniversary of when the first people left
                                    Czechoslovakia to come to Texas is here:

                                    http://www.tvart.cz/Texas/program.htm

                                    and will be update from Jiri Unruh

                                    JU
                                  • Nangotoo
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Mar 29, 2006
                                      Thanks for the information, Juri.  If you hear anything else, let us know.

                                      Nan

                                      Hi all,
                                      programme of 150 year anniversary of when the first people left
                                      Czechoslovakia to come to Texas is here:

                                      http://www.tvart.cz/Texas/program.htm

                                      and will be update from Jiri Unruh

                                      JU

                                    • J.D. Kotrla-Chipps
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Mar 29, 2006
                                        Hello Jiri,
                                        I send you greetings from Texas.  My family came to Texas a little later.  The Kotrla/Machalecova  (my grandfather's side) in 1874 from Johanova, Vsetin, and the Vitek/Slacikova (my grandmother's side) in 1880 from Mirisov and Ratiborz, Vsetin.

                                        I wish I could be there for the celebration, but I won't be able to attend.  I would like to send a tree from Texas to be planted there however.  If this is possible, please let me know.  I would like to send a Native Pecan tree because this is the State Tree for Texas.

                                        I will dig up a small one from my place here, and send it to you, and we will all pray that it grows into a fine tree and has many pecans for everyone to enjoy.

                                        I am happy to meet you on the internet,

                                        Joe Don Kotrla-Chipps

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Mar 31, 2006
                                          That's what I would like to know and also why I wanted to know if they were going to have a celebration in Fayette Co.---as I was told last year.  I wonder if they will cover the festival (in English) on Czech TV?  I enjoy watching the programs online when I can understand it. Its so interesting to hear how Czech language sounds, too, on those shows that are in both English and Czech. I never heard much Czech when I was young--mainly because I grew up in CA.

                                           It would be very nice to be able to hear our ancestor's names (the ones who left from Frenstat in 1855-56) read out loud.  I wish that they would maybe show the houses that those families had lived in before they left for TX--maybe a picture or so if someone has something like that in Frenstat. Also old pictures of Frenstat would be nice to see...things that were there when our ancestors left in the middle and late 1800's.   If they would make a program about that for our online Czech TV program, they would make so many of us grateful  and it would be a wonderful way to share the 150 year milestone.  The first Catholic Texas Czechs
                                          (actually Moravians) to settle in Texas.  It started the big migration to Texas from what is now CZ.

                                          Nan

                                          Message 20 of 22 , Sep 4, 2006
                                            Did anyone in the group attend the West Fest in West, Tx. this past weekend?  My husband and I did make it and it was a lot of fun.  There was plenty of Czech polkas and waltzes, lots of kolaches and good foods.  Sunday morning in the pleasant weather a Polka Mass under the pavilion was attended by a large number of people.

                                            While in Waco, we walked through the Texas Ranger Museum on Friday.  Today we drove through Cameron Park along the Brazos River - quite nice.  We also went to the zoo, even though we have no children now, it's still neat to walk through and look at all the animals.

                                            Julie & Wes

                                            Julie & Wes Matus

                                            Researching:
                                            Herzik, Korenek, Toman, Dybala
                                            Matus, Kubala, Grossman, Krenek

                                          • delsmaj@aol.com
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Sep 5, 2006
                                              My husband and i went to Westfest too.  Wish I had known you were there!  Next year we will have to have a get together of all the Texas eCzech group.

                                              Del Smajstrla
                                            • Julie Herzik Matus
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Sep 5, 2006
                                                Hi Del -

                                                Yes we were there Saturday for the parade, stayed almost the entire
                                                day, Sunday we went to the Polka Mass, then stayed all day again.
                                                Waco has some neat places - we visited the Ranger Museum Friday and
                                                then the Zoo on Monday. The weather was perfect! Saturday was a
                                                bit humid for a while.
                                                We plan to go to the Kolache Fest also.
                                                Julie