Reasons for emigration

  • Lolly
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2006
      FYI:  Here's an interesting cross-post from another e-mail list:
      Re: [GERMAN-BOHEMIAN] Book: Everyday life of Galician peasants
      From:
      KarenHob@...
      Date:
      Mon, 27 Feb 2006 20:57:20 EST
      To:
      GERMAN-BOHEMIAN-L@...

      In a message dated 2/27/2006 6:44:05 PM Mountain Standard Time,
      KarenHob@... writes:
      circumstances that might have caused them to emigrate. (I am
      wondering if the living conditions experienced by my ancestors might have
      been comparable to the conditions experienced by the Poles in Prussian Silesia.)

      Circumstances that could cause emigration from just about anywhere in the
      Austrian lands:

      1.  Avoiding military service, expecially if a war was looming.   See
      historic timelines for when wars occurred.
      2.  Being sought by the police or creditors.
      3.  Being from a large family with no hope of inheriting enough property to
      make a good living & no other prospects.
      4.  Other economic circumstances
            Multiple crop failures.
            Widespread depression
            Family facing loss of land -- bankruptcy, deep in debt to moneylenders.
            Loss of a job as a factory worker / journeyman tradesman.
            Crowded conditions at home - successful home farm no longer able to
                 sustain growing family, someone has to go.
      5.   Looking for adventure.
      6.  Looking for better opportunity:
             Industrial workers recruiters from the US promising a job and enough
      money to bring the rest of the family within a year or two, then buy land.
            Advertisements of free land in the US -- large plots europeans could not
      hope to ever own.
      7.   Cheap fares, boat captains willing to accept service for passage -- sell
      a service contract for some years of work to pay after arrival in the US --
      make it easy to leave.
      8.   Escaping epidemic while still healthy.
      9.   Looking for healthier climate.
      10.  No family left, no point in staying.
      11.  Other.

      Re: [GERMAN-BOHEMIAN] Book: Everyday life of Galician peasants
      From:
      "Helen" <hwhitemc@...>
      Date:
      Mon, 27 Feb 2006 18:59:06 -0800
      To:
      GERMAN-BOHEMIAN-L@...

      Dear Karen May I add a big one? RELIGIOUS FREEDOM !