Re: Kovar - How do you find birth name?

  • Patricia Mercincavage
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 2, 2006
      I happened to be online and had the passenger lists open.  There is a Frantiska (translates to Frances) Kovar shown in the Galveston Passenger lists, born in about 1897-1898, and landed 1907.  She seems to have been with Anna Kovar.  The info I found shows they both had a John Kovar listed as their contact point in Texas.

      I'm not researching the Kovar name, but maybe this bit of data will help with your search.

      Pat Mercincavage

      Database: Galveston Passenger Lists, 1896-1948

      NameArrival DateEstimated Birth YearGenderPort of DepartureLast ResidenceShip Name
      Anna Kovar17 Nov 19071893 FemaleBremen, GermanyMährenFrankfurt
      Frantiska Kovar17 Nov 19071898 FemaleBremen, GermanyMährenFrankfurt

      Port of Departure:Bremen, Germany
      Ship Name:Frankfurt
      Port of Arrival:Galveston, Texas
      Friend's Name:John Kovar
      Last Residence:Mähren
      Birthplace:Hovege, Mähren
      Microfilm Roll Number:7
      Page:14

      Source Information:
      Ancestry.com. Galveston, Texas Passenger Lists, 1896-1948 [database online]. Provo, Utah: MyFamily.com, Inc., 2005. Original data: Baltimore, Maryland. Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston, Texas 1896-1951. Micropublication M1359. RG085. Rolls # 1-36. National Archives, Washington, D.C.

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 2, 2006
          Thank you so much!! I'll go look to see if I can find
          the ship's name.

          Terri

          TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com<mailto:TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com>

          > Sent: Thursday, February 02, 2006 2:56 PM
          > Subject: [TexasCzechs] How do you find birth name?
          >

          > I have a Frances Kovar,(birth name not known) born
          > abt. 1897 in
          > Austria / Bohemia who arrived at the Port of
          > Galveston in 1907.
          >
          > After that, she was adopted by the John D. Kovar
          > family in Plum,
          > Fayette County, TX. I found her living with the
          > family in the 1910
          > census, all having the last name Kovar, but she
          > was listed as
          > servant. She married under the Kovar name in
          > 1917.
          >
          > I checked the Port of Galveston records for
          > females born in 1897
          > arriving in 1907- but there were 4 pages. I don't
          > know if she
          > retained her first name after the adoption.
          >
          > Any help on where I can go from here? I know that
          > the state records
          > will not open an adoption record. Her younger
          > adopted brother is
          > buried in the Saints Peter and Paul Catholic
          > Cemetery in Plum. Will
          > the Church share records in family histories?
          >

          > Remember: You can alway set your account to Digest
          > Mode for less mail.
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Terri Billeck
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 2, 2006
            My computer had a glitz and didn't show the bottom of
            the info - thank you so much for sending all of it!

            Terri

            http://mail.yahoo.com