How do you find birth name?

  • billeckfamily
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2 11:56 AM
      I have a Frances Kovar,(birth name not known) born abt. 1897 in
      Austria / Bohemia who arrived at the Port of Galveston in 1907.

      After that, she was adopted by the John D. Kovar family in Plum,
      Fayette County, TX. I found her living with the family in the 1910
      census, all having the last name Kovar, but she was listed as
      servant. She married under the Kovar name in 1917.

      I checked the Port of Galveston records for females born in 1897
      arriving in 1907- but there were 4 pages. I don't know if she
      retained her first name after the adoption.

      Any help on where I can go from here? I know that the state records
      will not open an adoption record. Her younger adopted brother is
      buried in the Saints Peter and Paul Catholic Cemetery in Plum. Will
      the Church share records in family histories?