Re: [TexasCzechs] Digest Number 2426

  • Illonam@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2006
      Jennifer,
      I think it is great that you shared your story.  I can identify because of my family situation.  I never thought of blaming the Czech people or the German people for what happened.  The people as a whole are not to blame. There are good and bad people in every nation.
      It is interesting to me, because my family in the Czech Republic and I can only communicate in German.  They were German but now are Czech and are trying very hard to learn English.  My Mom lived in what is now Poland and also across the border in Krnov/J√§gerndorf which is now Czech Republic.  My father was from Hawaii (not a state yet) when he fought in WWII for America against my Mother's brother's. She never had bad feeling agains Americans and even married or my Father. Both of her brothers died in WWII.
      Again, thanks for sharing!
      Illona Morris

      Message: 20
         Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 18:16:31 -0600 (CST)
         From: "Jennifer Moore" <kubicek@...>
      Subject: Re: German/Czech Interaction WWII era

      I'm really sorry I shared my grandmother's story. I did not mean to get
      everyone so riled up. I have both German and Czech heritage, Polish too
      for that matter. I simply thought it was interesting.

      The land in question, and for that matter most land in Europe, changed
      rulers, countries so many times. I have a relative who was drafted to
      serve in the Austrian army, even though he was Czech. You can't change the
      past. To me, it's all just interesting. It's important to know, because if
      you don't know history you're doomed to repeat it.

      I like the fact this group is so sharing. I have been able to learn so
      much by what people have shared, not just about my particular ancestors
      but about everyone's ancestors. It's interesting.
    • chefanita@classicnet.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 1, 2006

        Jennifer,

        Don't you dare be sorry for sharing your family's story. You did nothing wrong in sharing your story.  It's your family history and it's geneology and that's what we're all about.  I personally love history, even when it can stir strong emotions, be they happy, sad, joyous or angry.   It brings home how lucky we are to have the personal freedoms that we all have (despite the current political climate) to agree or disagree and freely speak our minds.

        I would love to have a family story from the old country, even if it was as haunting as yours.  Count yourself blessed to have had family members who kept the history alive and pass it on to future generations.  And please, don't stop sharing.

        Anita Prazak