Fw. To Solve Genealogical Mysteries

  • Ray J. Bacak
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 3, 2006
      This was sent to me by Laura Pilgrim and she agreed that I could share it with the group, for a laugh or two:

       TO SOLVE GENEALOGICAL MYSTERIES.

      >   It is New Year's Eve 1852 and Henry Hydenwel sits at his
      desk by
      >   candlelight. He dips his quill pen in ink and begins
      to writes his  New
      >  Year's resolutions.

      1. No man is truly  well-educated unless he learns to spell his name at
      >  least three  different ways within the same document. I
      resolve to give
      >  the  appearance of being extremely
      well-educated in the coming year.

      >  2. I resolve to
      see to it that all of my children will have the  same
      >  names
      that my ancestors have used for six generations in a  row.

      >  3. My age is no one's business but my own. I hereby  resolve
      to never
      >  list the same age or birth year twice on any
      document.

      >  4. I resolve to have each of my children
      baptized in a different
      >  church -- either in a different faith
      or  in a different parish. Every
      >  third child will not be
      baptized at  all or will be baptized by an
      >  itinerant minister
      who keeps no  records.

      >  5. I resolve to move to a new
      town, new county,  or new state at least
      >  once every 10 years
      -- just before those  pesky enumerators come around
      >  asking
      silly questions.

      >  6. I will make every attempt to
      reside in counties and towns  where no
      >  vital records are
      maintained or where the courthouse  burns down every
      >  few
      years.

      >  7. I resolve to  join an obscure religious
      cult that does not believe in
      >  record  keeping or in
      participating in military service.

      >  8. When  the tax
      collector comes to my door, I'll loan him my pen, which
      >   has
      been dipped in rapidly fading blue ink.

      >  9. I
      resolve  that if my beloved wife Mary should die, I will marry
      >  another  Mary.
      >
      >  10. I resolve not
      to make a will. Who needs to  spend money on a lawyer

    • Rosemary Ermis
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 3, 2006
        Laura,

        May I have your permission to share this with another list ???

        Rosemary Ermis
        This was sent to me by Laura Pilgrim and she agreed that I could share it with the group, for a laugh or two:

         TO SOLVE GENEALOGICAL MYSTERIES.

        >   It is New Year's Eve 1852 and Henry Hydenwel sits at his desk by
        >   candlelight. He dips his quill pen in ink and begins to writes his  New
        >  Year's resolutions.
        >
        >  1. No man is truly  well-educated unless he learns to spell his name at
        >  least three  different ways within the same document. I resolve to give
        >  the  appearance of being extremely well-educated in the coming year.

        >  2. I resolve to see to it that all of my children will have the  same
        >  names that my ancestors have used for six generations in a  row.
        >
        >  3. My age is no one's business but my own. I hereby  resolve to never
        >  list the same age or birth year twice on any  document.
        >
        >  4. I resolve to have each of my children  baptized in a different
        >  church -- either in a different faith or  in a different parish. Every
        >  third child will not be baptized at  all or will be baptized by an
        >  itinerant minister who keeps no  records.
        >
        >  5. I resolve to move to a new town, new county,  or new state at least
        >  once every 10 years -- just before those  pesky enumerators come around
        >  asking silly questions.

        >  6. I will make every attempt to reside in counties and towns  where no
        >  vital records are maintained or where the courthouse  burns down every
        >  few years.
        >
        >  7. I resolve to  join an obscure religious cult that does not believe in
        >  record  keeping or in participating in military service.
        >
        >  8. When  the tax collector comes to my door, I'll loan him my pen, which
        >   has been dipped in rapidly fading blue ink.
        >
        >  9. I resolve  that if my beloved wife Mary should die, I will marry
        >  another  Mary.
        >
        >  10. I resolve not to make a will. Who needs to  spend money on a lawyer

      • Nangotoo
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 5, 2006
          Oh, my, is that ever the truth!!  LOL!   In my 30+ yrs. of doing genealogy, I've run into all of those problems several times and its still causing problems today.  I swear that must have really happened with husband's ancestors.  Its hard not to take it personally sometimes. haha  Thank you for sending that.  I will share that with some fellow researchers. May I have permission to sent this to another county genealogy board?  Our fellow GILES cousins will scream with laughter after what we've been going through for years.

          Nan