RE: [TexasCzechs] Washichek

  • John Rebecek
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 1, 2006
      My Great aunt was married to Ed Washichek who came from Oklahoma. Does his name show on the census?
      J. Rebecek

      Susan Hurst <boss12848@...> wrote:
      Found many different spellings to this name in the census records. Yes I found the before and after spellings.  Thank you.  Is this a difficult lanuage to learn?

      The name Washichek has probably been Americanized.  The W = V, the SH and CH were an S and a C with a hacek over the top of the letter - a small v shape mark on the top of the letter.  The original Czech name would have been some thing like VASICEK with haceks over the S and C.  This might help you expand the search for your family and any one else with W, SH, CH, and SCH in the name.  Otec Beda