Re: [TexasCzechs] Czech Customs - Name Day Calendar

  • Lois Petter Pereira
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 29, 2005
      thanks, that is a good website.  I remember mom telling me the priest had to approve a name also for christening, so no made up names there either. She said deriviative names were okay but they had to be derived from a saints name....lois petter pereria

      Richard A Garza <richardgarza1@...> wrote:
      Hi Lois,
              This is right. As Ray pointed out, before the '50s one's name day
      was quite important, especially on the Continent. Before the '50s a name
      day was celebrated with more gusto than a birthday. The name day calendar
      followed the liturgical year, which see http://www.catholicculture.org
              Ever wonder why there are so many Jans, Josefs & Matthews in the
      family trees? I've attached a contemporary name day calendar that I
      picked up at Stamgast.cz. Not all Czech names have a translation, but
      quite often you'll be able to reference the saint's day with a reasonable
      approximation. A good way to do this is to visit http://www.katolik.cz
      and click on the Liturgical Calendar (Liturgicky Kalendar) link. This
      section shows not only the name for that day but also the saint whose day
      that is. Not always the same.
              St. Patrick's Day is celbrated in Ireland, but in Germany, Czech,
      Austria, Italy it's Josef who reigns when it comes to name day
      celebration. And St. Josef's day is just as wild and wooly as St.
      Pattie's.
              For English versions, you can also google "name day calendar" for
      extra info. I like the CatholicCulture website mostly for the recipes &
      observations for the calendar year. I think there's also a recipe
      floating around for name day cake!
              Your name day is probably August 19 (although the attached shows
      18th), for Ludvik.
              If I ever find time I'll try to add what English equivalents I
      can find to the calendar.
      Rick Garza
      Sharing. It's what it's all about!
      http://www.texasczechs.homestead.com/

      "Austin County = Birthplace of Czech Immigration to Texas"

      On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 16:41:53 -0800 (PST) Lois Petter Pereira
      <epereira@...> writes:
      I have been reading some Czech history and travel books and one of the
      travel books stated that everyday is some kind of holiday. If it is not
      already a holiday then the rest of the days are a holiday for a
      particular first name.
       Czech Name Day Calendar* < TD>

      LedenÚnorBøezenDuben
      1Karina
      2Radmila
      3Diana
      4Dalimil
      5Tøi králové
      6Vilma
      7Èestmír
      8Vladan
      9Bøetislav
      10Bohdana
      11Pravoslav
      12Edita
      13Radovan
      14Alice
      15Ctirad
      16Drahoslav
      17Vladislav
      18Doubravka
      19Ilona
      20Bìla
      21Slavomír
      22Zdenìk
      23Milena
      24Miloš
      25Zora
      26Ingrid
      27Otýlie
      28Zdislava
      29Robin
      30Marika
      31Hynek
      1Nela
      2Blažej
      3Jarmila
      4Dobromila
      5Vanda
      6Veronika
      7Milada
      8Apolena
      9Mojmír
      10Božena
      11Slavìna
      12Vìnceslav
      13Valentýn
      14Jiøina
      15Ljuba
      16Miloslava
      17Gizela
      18Patrik
      19Oldøich
      20Lenka
      21Petr
      22Svatopluk
      23Matìj
      24Liliana
      25Dorota
      26Alexandr
      27Lumír
      28Horymír
      29Bedøich
      1Anežka
      2Kamil
      3Stela
      4Kazimír
      5Miroslav
      6Tomáš
      7Gabriela
      8Františka
      9Viktorie
      10Andìla
      11Øehoø
      12Rùžena
      13Rút / Matylda
      14Ida
      15Elena/Herbert
      16Vlastimil
      17Eduard
      18Josef
      19Svìtlana
      20Radek
      21Leona
      22Ivona
      23Gabriel
      24Marián
      25Emanuel
      26Dita
      27Soòa
      28Taána
      29Arnošt
      30Kvido
      31Hugo
      1Erika
      2Richard
      3Ivana
      4Miroslava
      5Vendula
      6Heøman / Hermína
      7Ema
      8Dušan
      9Darja
      10Izabela
      11Julius
      12Aleš
      13Vincenc
      14Anastázie
      15Irena
      16Rudolf
      17Valérie
      18Rostislav
      19Marcela
      20Alexandra
      21Evžénie
      22Vojtìch
      23Jiøí
      24Marek
      25Oto
      26Jaroslav
      27Vlastislav
      28Robert
      29Blahoslav
      30Svátek práce
      KvìtenÈervenÈervenecSrpen
      1Zikmund
      2Alexej
      3Kvìtoslav
      4Klaudie
      5Radoslav
      6Stanislav
      7Statní svátek
      8Ctibor
      9Blažena
      10Svatava
      11Pankrác
      12Servác
      13Bonifác
      14Žofie
      15Pøemysl
      16Aneta
      17Nataša
      18Ivo
      19Zbyšek
      20Monika
      21Emil
      22Vladimír
      23Jana
      24Viola
      25Filip
      26Valdemar
      27Vilém
      28Maxim
      29Ferdinand
      30Kamila
      31Laura
      1Jarmil
      2Tamara
      3Dalibor
      4Dobroslav
      5Norbert
      6Iveta
      7Medard
      8Stanislava
      9Gita
      10Bruno
      11Antonie
      12Antonín
      13Roland
      14Vít
      15Zbynìk
      16Adolf
      17Milan
      18Leoš
      19Kvìta
      20Alois
      21Pavla
      22Zdeòka
      23Jan
      24Ivan
      25Adriana
      26Ladislav
      27Lubomír
      28Petr a Pavel
      29Šárka
      30Jaroslava
      1Patricie
      2Radomír
      3Prokop
      4Státní svátek - Cyril a Metodìj
      5Státní svátek - Mistr Jan Hus
      6Bohuslava
      7Nora
      8Drahoslava
      9Libuše / Amálie
      10Olga
      11Boøek
      12Markéta
      13Karolína
      14Jindøich
      15Luboš
      16Martina
      17Drahomíra
      18Èenìk
      19Ilja
      20Vítìzslav
      21Magdaléna
      22Libor
      23Kristýna
      24Jakub
      25Anna
      26Vìroslav
      27Viktor
      28Marta
      29Boøivoj
      30Ignác
      31Oskar
      1Gustav
      2Miluše
      3Dominik
      4Kristián
      5Oldøiška
      6Lada
      7Sobìslav
      8Roman
      9Vavøinec
      10Zuzana
      11Klára
      12Alena
      13Alan
      14Hana
      15Jáchym
      16Petra
      17Helena
      18Ludvík
      19Bernard
      20Johana
      21Bohuslav
      22Sandra
      23Bartolomìj
      24Radim
      25Ludìk
      26Otakar
      27Augustýn
      28Evelína
      29Vladìna
      30Pavlína
      31Linda / Samuel
      ZáøíØíjenListopadProsinec
      1Adéla
      2Bronislav
      3Jindøiška
      4Boris
      5Boleslav
      6Regína
      7Mariana
      8Daniela
      9Irma
      10Denisa
      11Marie
      12Lubor
      13Radka
      14Jolana
      15Ludmila
      16Nadìžda
      17Kryštof
      18Zita
      19Oleg
      20Matouš
      21Darina
      22Berta
      23Jaromír
      24Zlata
      25Andrea
      26Jonáš
      27Václav
      28Michal
      29Jeroným
      30Igor
      1Olívie / Oliver
      2Bohumil
      3František
      4Eliška
      5Hanuš
      6Justýna
      7Vìra
      8Štefan / Sára
      9Marina
      10Andrej
      11Marcel
      12Renáta
      13Agáta
      14Tereza
      15Havel
      16Hedvika
      17Lukáš
      18Michaela
      19Vendelín
      20Brigita
      21Sabina
      22Teodor
      23Nina
      24Beáta
      25Erik
      26Šarlota / Zoe
      27Státní svátek
      28Silvie
      29Tadeáš
      30Štìpánka
      31Felix
      1Památka zesnulých
      2Hubert
      3Karel
      4Miriam
      5Libìna
      6Saskie
      7Bohumír
      8Bohdan
      9Evžen
      10Martin
      11Benedikt
      12Tibor
      13Sáva
      14Leopold
      15Otmar
      16Mahuléna
      17Romana
      18Alžbìta
      19Nikola
      20Albert
      21Cecílie
      22Klement
      23Emílie
      24Kateøina
      25Artur
      26Xenie
      27René
      28Zina
      29Ondøej
      30Iva
      1Blanka
      2Svatoslav
      3Barbora
      4Jitka
      5Mikuláš
      6Ambrož
      7Kvìtoslava
      8Vratislav
      9Julie
      10Dana
      11Simona
      12Lucie
      13Lýdie
      14Radana
      15Albína
      16Daniel
      17Miloslav
      18Ester
      19Dagmar
      20Natálie
      21Šimon
      22Vlasta
      23Adam a Eva / Štìdrý den
      241.svátek vánoèní
      25Štìpán / 2.svátek vánoèní
      26Žaneta
      27Bohumila
      28Judita
      29David
      30Silvestr
      31Silvestr

      *Name day n : the day of the saint whose name one bears
      Copyright (c) 2000-2001 Všechna práva vyhrazena. Štamgast.cz

      Lois Petter Pereira