Re: [TexasCzechs] unidentified photo

  • AKC
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 3, 2005
      I can't remember the name of the Lutheran church. I
      grew up in that area and attended the Catholic church.
      I think the Lutheran church is St. Marks?? The town
      is extremelly small, the Frelsburg sign has no
      population amount on it. There is a general store, a
      garage, a Volunteer Fire Dept, and the Churches.

      Aaron

      --- granny pat <phejl@...> wrote:

      > Thanks Aaron. I've been looking at some of the
      > websites listed for Frelsburg and one of them was
      > the St. Peter and Paul's church. There is also a
      > large Lutheran Church. Now I'm wondering if this is
      > a Catholic priest or a Lutheran priest.
      >
      > Thanks again.
      >
      > Pat

      __________________________________
      http://farechase.yahoo.com
    • granny pat
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 3, 2005
        Do you think the priest's robe is that of Catholic or Lutheran at that period?

        Pat
      • Nangotoo
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 4, 2005
          Hard to tell, Pat.  Lutheran is very close to Catholic and have many of the same things.  I have seen Lutheran ministers that I've thought were Catholic priests in the past.  I found the robe in that picture interesting even if I don't know the answer to the question.  It was the first time I've seen a robe like that.

          Nan

          Do you think the priest's robe is that of Catholic or Lutheran at that period?

          Pat
        • Matt Cross
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 4, 2005
            One suggestion would be to send the photo to Dorothy Albrecht, the GenWeb
            coordinator for Colorado County. She then could post it to that website and
            maybe someone out there will recognize it. She could also send it to Bill
            Stein at the Nesbitt Library in Columbus.

            Dorothy's e-mail is albrecht@...

            Matt Cross
            lennonluv@...
          • granny pat
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 5, 2005
              Thanks for the suggestion, Matt. I just sent the photo off the Dorothy.

              Pat

            • Sara Ann Barton
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 7, 2005
                Fayette County Record recently had an article, Fayetteville Brethren Celebrates 150 years in Special Worship Service with a picture of Rev. Milton Maly, pastor of Fayette Brethren Church dressed in period clothing and his clerical collar is very similar to the one in the attached photo by Granny Pat.

                -- "granny pat" <phejl@...> wrote:
                Attached is an unidentified photo of a priest and two young girls, probably confirmands. Also attached is a copy of the back of the photo. The writing appears to be in German, and in very small letters is the word "Frelsburg."  This photo (along with many other unidentified photos) is in an album that belonged to my gr-grandparents, Josef R. and Filomena Marek.

                I keep hoping that someone somewhere out there will have this same picture that has been identified.

                Pat
              • natcat77054
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 10, 2005
                  Pat,
                  There are Trinity Lutheran church records on the Colorado County
                  GenWeb site. Here is the address:
                  http://www.rootsweb.com/~txcolora/churchrecords.htm
                  Maybe you can find a clue to your picture in these records. I was
                  able to tie a lot of collateral families together with the baptismal
                  records.

                  Natalie

                  --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "granny pat" <phejl@t...> wrote:

                  > Attached is an unidentified photo of a priest and two young girls,
                  probably confirmands. Also attached is a copy of the back of the
                  photo. The writing appears to be in German, and in very small
                  letters is the word "Frelsburg." This photo (along with many other
                  unidentified photos) is in an album that belonged to my gr-
                  grandparents, Josef R. and Filomena Marek.

                  > I keep hoping that someone somewhere out there will have this same
                  picture that has been identified.

                  > Pat

                • granny pat
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 10, 2005