Re: [TexasCzechs] unidentified photo

  • AKC
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 3, 2005
      I don't know if this helps, but St's Peter and Paul's
      Catholic Church in Frelsburg Tx, is an extremelly old
      parish. And the name Marek is common in that area.
      This may not pertain to anything, but it had some
      similarities.

      Aaron

      --- granny pat <phejl@...> wrote:

      > Attached is an unidentified photo of a priest and
      > two young girls, probably confirmands. Also attached
      > is a copy of the back of the photo. The writing
      > appears to be in German, and in very small letters
      > is the word "Frelsburg." This photo (along with
      > many other unidentified photos) is in an album that
      > belonged to my gr-grandparents, Josef R. and
      > Filomena Marek.
      >
      > I keep hoping that someone somewhere out there will
      > have this same picture that has been identified.
      >
      > Pat

      __________________________________
      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • granny pat
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 3, 2005
        Thanks Aaron. I've been looking at some of the websites listed for Frelsburg and one of them was the St. Peter and Paul's church. There is also a large Lutheran Church. Now I'm wondering if this is a Catholic priest or a Lutheran priest.

        Thanks again.

        Pat

      • AKC
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 3, 2005
          I can't remember the name of the Lutheran church. I
          grew up in that area and attended the Catholic church.
          I think the Lutheran church is St. Marks?? The town
          is extremelly small, the Frelsburg sign has no
          population amount on it. There is a general store, a
          garage, a Volunteer Fire Dept, and the Churches.

          Aaron

          --- granny pat <phejl@...> wrote:

          > Thanks Aaron. I've been looking at some of the
          > websites listed for Frelsburg and one of them was
          > the St. Peter and Paul's church. There is also a
          > large Lutheran Church. Now I'm wondering if this is
          > a Catholic priest or a Lutheran priest.
          >
          > Thanks again.
          >
          > Pat

          __________________________________
          http://farechase.yahoo.com
        • granny pat
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 3, 2005
            Do you think the priest's robe is that of Catholic or Lutheran at that period?

            Pat
          • Nangotoo
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 4, 2005
              Hard to tell, Pat.  Lutheran is very close to Catholic and have many of the same things.  I have seen Lutheran ministers that I've thought were Catholic priests in the past.  I found the robe in that picture interesting even if I don't know the answer to the question.  It was the first time I've seen a robe like that.

              Nan

              Do you think the priest's robe is that of Catholic or Lutheran at that period?

              Pat
            • Matt Cross
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 4, 2005
                One suggestion would be to send the photo to Dorothy Albrecht, the GenWeb
                coordinator for Colorado County. She then could post it to that website and
                maybe someone out there will recognize it. She could also send it to Bill
                Stein at the Nesbitt Library in Columbus.

                Dorothy's e-mail is albrecht@...

                Matt Cross
                lennonluv@...
              • granny pat
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 5, 2005
                  Thanks for the suggestion, Matt. I just sent the photo off the Dorothy.

                  Pat

                • Sara Ann Barton
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 7, 2005
                    Fayette County Record recently had an article, Fayetteville Brethren Celebrates 150 years in Special Worship Service with a picture of Rev. Milton Maly, pastor of Fayette Brethren Church dressed in period clothing and his clerical collar is very similar to the one in the attached photo by Granny Pat.

                    -- "granny pat" <phejl@...> wrote:
                    Attached is an unidentified photo of a priest and two young girls, probably confirmands. Also attached is a copy of the back of the photo. The writing appears to be in German, and in very small letters is the word "Frelsburg."  This photo (along with many other unidentified photos) is in an album that belonged to my gr-grandparents, Josef R. and Filomena Marek.

                    I keep hoping that someone somewhere out there will have this same picture that has been identified.

                    Pat
                  • natcat77054
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 10, 2005
                      Pat,
                      There are Trinity Lutheran church records on the Colorado County
                      GenWeb site. Here is the address:
                      http://www.rootsweb.com/~txcolora/churchrecords.htm
                      Maybe you can find a clue to your picture in these records. I was
                      able to tie a lot of collateral families together with the baptismal
                      records.

                      Natalie

                      --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "granny pat" <phejl@t...> wrote:

                      > Attached is an unidentified photo of a priest and two young girls,
                      probably confirmands. Also attached is a copy of the back of the
                      photo. The writing appears to be in German, and in very small
                      letters is the word "Frelsburg." This photo (along with many other
                      unidentified photos) is in an album that belonged to my gr-
                      grandparents, Josef R. and Filomena Marek.

                      > I keep hoping that someone somewhere out there will have this same
                      picture that has been identified.

                      > Pat

                    • granny pat
                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 10, 2005