Re: Jaks se mas/mate

  • Pat Lyon
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 29, 2005
      I too, wondered about the Jaks se Mas or Jaks se Mate because i heard it the
      different ways. Joe Janececk said it is Mas for "you all" and Mate' for
      "you". So Mas is probably appropriate for Texans!

      Pat Lyon
    • Martina Morrisová
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 29, 2005
        Hallo,

        since there is such a huge discussion about these phrases, I could not help it but send an e-mail, too. I know the difference, since I am Czech. I will try my best to explain:

        "Jak se mas?" is used when you talk to a child, to a friend or to a relative. "Jak se mate" - first - it is plural, so you use it when you address more people in the same time. Second - you use it as a form of respect when you talk to a person - adult - you do not know or you know just briefly and you are not friends yet. If you talk to an adult you are not so familiar with, you need to ask him/her first if it is O.K. to use just "jak se mas" instead of "jak se mate".

        I hope this will help.

        Martina Morris
      • J.D. Kotrla-Chipps
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 29, 2005
          One is used as a formal greeting, the other used informally.

          At least that's the way I understand it.

          JD
        • Dolores Miller
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 2, 2005
            Martina, I agree with your translation.  I used to speak fluent Czech but since my parents, Jan & Frantiska Bigon Velicka, passed away, I am getting rusty.  In Granger we also used the plural when addressing a priest (young or old) and the nuns as a measure of respect.

            Martina Morrisová <morrisova@...> wrote:
            Hallo,

            since there is such a huge discussion about these phrases, I could not help it but send an e-mail, too. I know the difference, since I am Czech. I will try my best to explain:

            "Jak se mas?" is used when you talk to a child, to a friend or to a relative. "Jak se mate" - first - it is plural, so you use it when you address more people in the same time. Second - you use it as a form of respect when you talk to a person - adult - you do not know or you know just briefly and you are not friends yet. If you talk to an adult you are not so familiar with, you need to ask him/her first if it is O.K. to use just "jak se mas" instead of "jak se mate".

            I hope this will help.

            Martina Morris

            http://mail.yahoo.com

          • Laura Bohac
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 3, 2005
              I too am from Granger, Texas. I wonder if we knew
              each other. I graduated from GHS in 1965. My maiden
              name was Vitek. It is so nice to find the TexasCzechs
              group.

              Laura Bohac

              --- Dolores Miller <texassanta5@...> wrote:

              > Martina, I agree with your translation. I used to
              > speak fluent Czech but since my parents, Jan &
              > Frantiska Bigon Velicka, passed away, I am getting
              > rusty. In Granger we also used the plural when
              > addressing a priest (young or old) and the nuns as a
              > measure of respect.
              >

              > Martina Morrisová <morrisova@...> wrote:
              > Hallo,
              >
              > since there is such a huge discussion about these
              > phrases, I could not help it but send an e-mail,
              > too. I know the difference, since I am Czech. I will
              > try my best to explain:
              >
              > "Jak se mas?" is used when you talk to a child, to a
              > friend or to a relative. "Jak se mate" - first - it
              > is plural, so you use it when you address more
              > people in the same time. Second - you use it as a
              > form of respect when you talk to a person - adult -
              > you do not know or you know just briefly and you are
              > not friends yet. If you talk to an adult you are not
              > so familiar with, you need to ask him/her first if
              > it is O.K. to use just "jak se mas" instead of "jak
              > se mate".
              >
              > I hope this will help.
              >
              > Martina Morris
              >

              > Remember: You can alway set your account to Digest
              > Mode for less mail.

              > Czech glass bead Czech bead Czech glass Learn czech
              > Czech travel Czech

              > Yahoo! Terms of Service.

              > protection around
              > http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Peggy McPeak
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 4, 2005
                Laura -- did you take piano lessons from Mrs. Pope who lived between Taylor & Granger?
                Your name sounds familiar. I now live in Lubbock but go back to Taylor as often as I can. I took piano lessons from Mrs. Pope for 6 years. My memory is associating your name with music recitals.
                Peggy Wright McPeak
                Taylor native,
                Lubbock resident

                Laura Bohac <lkbohac@...> wrote:
                I too am from Granger, Texas.  I wonder if we knew
                each other. I graduated from GHS in 1965.  My maiden
                name was Vitek. It is so nice to find the TexasCzechs
                group.

                Laura Bohac

                --- Dolores Miller <texassanta5@...> wrote:

                > Martina, I agree with your translation.  I used to
                > speak fluent Czech but since my parents, Jan &
                > Frantiska Bigon Velicka, passed away, I am getting
                > rusty.  In Granger we also used the plural when
                > addressing a priest (young or old) and the nuns as a
                > measure of respect.

                > Martina Morrisová <morrisova@...> wrote:
                > Hallo,
                >
                > since there is such a huge discussion about these
                > phrases, I could not help it but send an e-mail,
                > too. I know the difference, since I am Czech. I will
                > try my best to explain:
                >
                > "Jak se mas?" is used when you talk to a child, to a
                > friend or to a relative. "Jak se mate" - first - it
                > is plural, so you use it when you address more
                > people in the same time. Second - you use it as a
                > form of respect when you talk to a person - adult -
                > you do not know or you know just briefly and you are
                > not friends yet. If you talk to an adult you are not
                > so familiar with, you need to ask him/her first if
                > it is O.K. to use just "jak se mas" instead of "jak
                > se mate".
                >
                > I hope this will help.
                >
                > Martina Morris
                >

                > Remember: You can alway set your account to Digest
                > Mode for less mail.

                > Czech glass bead Czech bead Czech glass Learn czech
                > Czech travel Czech

                > Yahoo! Terms of Service.

                > protection around
                > http://mail.yahoo.com

                Czech glass beadCzech glassCzech
                Ethnic jewelryEthnic art

              • Laura Bohac
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 4, 2005
                  Yes, I did take piano lessons from Mrs. Pope for a
                  while. I remember being nervous whenever we had to
                  play for recitals. My husband and I live in Cedar
                  Park near our two daughters. My sister lives between
                  Taylor and Granger, very close to Mrs. Pope's
                  homeplace. Thank you so much for your reply.

                  Laura Vitek Bohac