Re: [TexasCzechs] Please translate!

  • Dolores Miller
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 28, 2005
      Dear Mashek,

      I can translate the first two words: Pekny den means "beautiful day"  and the last word zdravi means health.  It is used in toast as "na zdravi"  Sorry that is all I remember.  I have a Czech to English dictionary that dates back to 1891,  I dug it out some time ago and didn't put it back where it belonged so I'' ll have to wait until I find it.

      Dolores Miller<texassanta5@...

      mashek13 <mdavis@...> wrote:
      I filled out a Czech Heritage Research questionaire for a college
      student, and after sending it in the student sent back this:

      "Pekny den preje a z Waca zdravi"

      I would like to know what it means.  I think it means something about
      enjoying living in Waco, but I could be completely wrong.

      Thanks in advance to my "Bohunk" friends online!

      Margie Mashek Davis
      margie.davis@...

    • carlgenlnrt
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 28, 2005
        Merriam-Webster online dictionary defines "Bohunk"

        Main Entry: bo·hunk
        Pronunciation: 'bO-"h&[ng]k
        Function: noun
        Etymology: Bohemian + Hunk person of central European descent, by
        shortening & alteration of Hungarian usually disparaging : a person
        of central European descent or birth

        --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, Dolores Miller
        <texassanta5@y...> wrote:

        > Sylvia,
        > I was taught by my immigrant parents, one Czech and one Polish,
        that Bohunk was a disrespectal term as was Polak and Spic. I was
        never allowed to use these terms. I prefer this greeting: vi tam
        vas, jak se mate. It means: I greet you and how are you. I don't
        remember how to spell in Czech.so the spelling may be off.

        > Dolores
        >
        > sylviajean12@c... wrote:
        > I am Czech, not "Bphunk" but to me it says:
        >
        > I wish you a nice day and from Waco well-wishes.
        >
        > SYLVIA LAZNOVSKY
        >
        > Remember: You can alway set your account to Digest Mode for less
        mail.

        Service.

      • Andikat@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 28, 2005
          I think the "jak se mate" is "jak se mas".  I've seen it on bumper stickers :-)

          Andrea

        • sylviajean12@cs.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 28, 2005
            Me too.

            SYLVIA
          • Dolores Miller

                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 29, 2005
                  >>I was taught by my immigrant parents, one Czech and one Polish,
                  that Bohunk was a disrespectal term as was Polak and Spic.  I was never allowed to use these terms. I prefer this greeting: vi tam vas, jak se mate.  It means: I greet you and how are you.<<

                  I was also taught by my mom that Bohunk is an insult and like the "N" word it to black people.  She told me how she and the others used to cringe when someone called them Bohunk and the way it was used was to make them feel inferior. It was okay to be called Bohemian back then in TX, but definitely not Bohunk.  That was a word that was a fighting word for her brothers and their friends.

                  I don't think any offense was meant here, but I am a Moravian-Czech and proud of it.   It could be that it was different where someone else was raised.

                  Nan
                • Joe
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 29, 2005
                    Dolores, you are absolutely correct. Jak se mate is the proper form
                    to show respect to an elder or someone in authority such as a priest,
                    even though jak se mate is the plural form. You should always use
                    the plural form, vy, when addressing an elder instead of the singular
                    form, ty.

                    Joe

                    On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 22:04:50 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

                    >Andrea, You may be correct, however, I think yak se mate is to show respect to a priest, pastor or an older person. It is plural. Young folks like us (ha--ha) just get the singular jak se mas. I will check with my Czech friend to be sure. My friend wants to join the Texas Czechs and I can't remember.
                    >

                    >Dolores Miller
                  • Debbie Ondrasek
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 30, 2005
                      My father always says jak se mas.  But he isn't a fluent speaker either.

                      Debbie O.

                      Don't let the chain of love end with you.

                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 31, 2005
                        Hello,
                        I understand it so:

                        "Pekny den preje a z Waca zdravi" =

                        "A nice day wish and from Waco greets" student XY.
                        (Student XY wish you a nice day and says Hello from
                        Waco.)

                        Zdenek Malcik
                        Brno, CR

                        http://farechase.yahoo.com