Re: [TexasCzechs] Anyone Translate German?

  • Richard A Garza
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 3, 2005
      Hi Shantelle,
      Why don't you write it out in an email message and post it. There
      are several folks on the list who can give it a shot.
      Rick Garza

      On Mon, 3 Oct 2005 08:09:00 -0700 (PDT) Shantelle Grace
      <buzzinggrace@...> writes:
      Does anyone on this list know German? I have a written note from one of
      my Wendish ancestors that I need help deciphering. Or if anyone knows of
      a list I can post this too for some help.

      Thanks.

      Shantelle
    • Shantelle Grace
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 4, 2005
        Rick,

        Anyone up for a challenge?

        That's the problem, I don't have it translated from the written script.  This piece of paper was in a safe that was my gggrandfather's.  The silverfish had a time with it.  There were three things in the safe and I want to know what belonged to whom.  All I have is the piece of paper, if someone wants to take a gander at it.  I am slowly trying to translate it from the script.  I think he wrote it in German script but it translates into English.  The paper can be found here:

        Thanks.

        Shantelle

        <buzzinggrace@...> writes:
        Does anyone on this list know German?  I have a written note from one of
        my Wendish ancestors that I need help deciphering.  Or if anyone knows of
        a list I can post this too for some help.

        Thanks.

        Shantelle

        Yahoo! for Good

      • Richard A Garza

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 4, 2005
            Hi Shantelle,
                    My friend Susie was able to discern the following:

            Hi Rick, the letter is in bad shape, but I could read some of it

            THe Gold piece is from father, he got it from his mother when she died. He had 2 and I received one from the year 1910 (? - could be 1919)
            FAther died then in ?? 1935, he was born 20 April ????

            1957????????

            His mother died 2  February 1932, born on 21????????
            And uncle John A Leschber died 2 July 1931
            Born 14 December 1852

             Sorry I cant make it our any clearer, hope it will help some though.
            Susie

            On Tue, 4 Oct 2005 13:56:05 -0700 (PDT) Shantelle Grace <buzzinggrace@...> writes:
            Rick,

            This piece of paper was in a safe that was my gggrandfather's.  The silverfish had a time with it.  The paper can be found here:

          • Shantelle Grace
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 5, 2005
              Rick,

              Oh thank you so much!!!!   I now know who the gold piece, a ring, belonged to.  I really appreciate your friend taking the time to do this.  Please tell her a great big thank you.

              The paper is in really bad shape, I know.  There are holes everywhere.  I'm disappointed that noone took the care to preserve this, but at least some of it was preserved and now translated.

              Thanks again-to you, Rick and your friend Susie.

              Sincerely,