Svrcek book translation

  • janapivec
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 20, 2005
      From: "denise" <denise@...>
      Date: Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:20am
      Subject: RE: Index to "A History of the Czech-Moravian Catholic
      Communities of Texas" ddreyling542002

      How can we get a copy of this book?

      Denise
      -----------------
      I happened on to it on ebay, and some guy in California was selling
      it. If you google on Nase Dejiny, it shows up in the Houston Clayton
      Library holdings, CSAGSI Library Collection, San Antonio Public
      Library . . . so there must be several copies out there.

      Printed in 1974, second printing 1983, Texian Press, Waco Texas
      --------
      If I can, I will transcribe short entries for you, or scan and upload
      longer entries.
    • denise
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 20, 2005
        Thanks. I'll look for it. If I can't find it I may write you at your
        e-mail and ask for information. Thank you so much.

        Denise
      • Pat stoffel
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 22, 2005
          There were a few entries for Albrecht and Sebesta I
          would be interested to see what towns they were in and
          where they came from (if available) thanks

          Pat Stoffel
          > I happened on to it on ebay, and some guy in
          > California was selling
          > it. If you google on Nase Dejiny, it shows up in
          > the Houston Clayton
          > Library holdings, CSAGSI Library Collection, San
          > Antonio Public
          > Library . . . so there must be several copies out
          > there.
          >
          > Printed in 1974, second printing 1983, Texian Press,
          > Waco Texas
          > --------
          > If I can, I will transcribe short entries for you,
          > or scan and upload
          > longer entries.

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • janapivec
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 22, 2005
            Pg. 78 in Flatonia: "At this time [1939] . . .Frank Sebesta Cattle
            & Feed Business and Anthony Albrecht lumber yard."

            Pg. 151 in Praha: "In 1896 a new parish school was erected 60x25
            and 22 feet high. Two Stories. Classrooms below and Sisters hom
            upstairs. Most of the materials for the school came from the old
            church guilding. It cost some $700. The parishioners donated the
            many much needed articles into the church -- Windows - east side,
            first from the altar - donated by Anton Gottschalk and Anton
            Schumann; second window - parish young men; third window Frank and
            Vincent Doubrava; fourth - Thomas Albrecht . . ." [list continues]

            Pg. 135 in Mound Prairie (20 miles SE of Caldwell): "The Czech
            people began to move into this community some 50 years ago - of
            these first families we find, Joseph Mikula; Vaclav Fanach. Later
            came the families of Pasak; Martinka; Kulhanek; Sebesta. After the
            year 1890 came more families and settled here."

            Pg. 68 in Ennis, subhead History of S. Peter & Paul Society #83
            (Prvni Ustredni Jednota) The First Central Union: "In the annals of
            St. John Nepomucenus parish of Ennis, we read that in 1883, a
            society of Ss. Peter and Paul was organized. Our countrymen
            arriving here without any knowledge of the language of the country-
            difficulty in communication with others-for that purpose they had
            organized into a group-tightly knitted together for their social and
            religious benefits. They formed this society to be able better to
            communicate with each other and other branches of the society, in
            other parts of this their new country. Thus, the St. John
            Nepomucenus society was the first one herabouts. The founders of
            this society were - John Sebesta, Frank Patak, John Plasek, Joseph
            Valek and Bartholomew Lanicek. At this time all of these good men
            are resting there in that consecrated ground - our cemetery."

            Pg. 63 in Ennis: "The first Czech came here from Europe, as far as
            the records do show, was John Jacob (Jakub) Sebesta from Netolice
            Ceske Budejovice in the year of 1873. At that time Ennis was a mere
            village with some stores. Round and about town was a wild prairie,
            covered with tall grasses. Here and there perhaps some thick
            forests. There were no roads nor any fences."

            [just because the description is so charming, I want to continue]
            "Two years later, 1875,few families came from England and France.
            Also the families of Bartholomew Lanicky from Zdanice near Brno, who
            had lived 3 years in Bryan and then moved here. The following year
            two more families arrived. This handful of settlers gave the
            nucleus to a new parish. They bought an old house and remodelled it
            into a smal [sic] church. Father Tion came from Corsicana every
            second Sunday and said Holy Mass for the people. One of the English
            families donated two acres of land for a cemetery.
            "In 1887 tornado destroyed the first church, only the altar could be
            salvaged. By this time there were some 40 Czech Catholic families
            and 20 of other nationalities. It is worthy of mention that within
            the next few years most of the Czech families came from Vyzovice
            Moravia in Europe, especially the village of Provodov. A well known
            pilgrims city. Some 31 families came in 1889. These Catholics
            Czech and Non-Czech together rebuilt the tornado destroyed church at
            a cost of $4,000 (frame building). The priest and pastor at that
            time was Father Martinelli."

            I hope you enjoy these descriptions as much as I do. Best wishes,
            jan

            --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, Pat stoffel <stoffelpat@y...>
            wrote:
            > There were a few entries for Albrecht and Sebesta I
            > would be interested to see what towns they were in and
            > where they came from (if available) thanks
            >
            > Pat Stoffel

          • Pat stoffel
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 22, 2005
              thank you so much, the Anthony Albrecht was my great
              uncle "Anton", actually have a photo of the lumber
              yard.

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Nangotoo
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 1, 2005
                I wondered if you could do a lookup in that book for me?  Quite a few of my ancestors appear in the index.

                Could you let me know what it says about Valentine Kolibal (xiv, 108) and the Mondriks (22)?  I live in CA so we can't get a hand of those books.

                If you can, thank you in advance.  If not, I will understand.  :-)

                Nan