Re: [TexasCzechs] New Orleans Levee

  • Lois Petter Pereira
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2005
      I heard a disturbing interview last night. The reporter was interviewing a spokesman for the corp of engineers as to the levee system. She stated she understood the levee system was built for a category 3 hurricane but why not for a 5. After a song and dance it came down to cost. Hmmm wonder how much it takes to lose before our government steps up to the plate to keep us safe??? I think the city should not be rebuilt at the current site. It was allowed to sprawl and get more concrete with under the table deals with the real estate industry, businesses and even the govt itself for more taxes. The greed there is so obvious when you have 40 percent of your population at poverty level or below. Louisiana is a beautiful state and it needs to be able to heal and get back to rebuilding....lois petter pereira

      "John L. Mikeska" <jlmikeska@...> wrote:
      A CNN reporter in New York made comment that I fully agreed with.  He stated to the effect "We saw the winds and rain hitting Monday.  Tuesday we began to see the terrible outcome, and today (Wednesday), so much more tragedy showing up from Tuesday.  "Hell", I don't even want to come to work tomorrow fearing what we may learn then".

      Still tears coming as watching the news.  How terrible.  The worst predictions have come true.  How we must all pull together.  I try not to get political, but at this point, I have to say, bring our men and women home to help here.  I am so sad.
      Pat Lyon

      Sir John, Earl of Berkshire

      Lois Petter Pereira