Trlica Photos/Photo Book

  • Vince Leibowitz
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 29, 2005
      I've been on this list for some time, and though I read most all of the
      posts, I rarely post myself, as my work has made me so busy in the past
      couple of years that I haven't had much time for genealogy.

      Nevertheless, when I saw the subject line with the words "Trlica" and
      "Photos" in it today, I just couldn't believe it, and really could not
      believe there is a book about the man's work.

      On my hallway halls are no less than half a dozen Trlica photos--my
      grandparents' wedding, my great-grandfather and grandmother and their
      children (including my grandfather), my grandmother's first holy communion,
      and a very elegant one of my grandmother in her teens.

      As I'm 1/4 Polish and 1/4 Czech, with my grandmother having been Polish
      (Kaminski) and my grandfather Czech (Pekar), the photos I have are split
      about 50/50 between Czech ancestors and Polish ones--and I probably have
      several hundred in my grandmother's old trunk. My great-aunt probably has
      twice as many. Ironically, many show the same "set" and same rug, which can
      be seen getting more worn with time.

      I have always wondered about the history of the studio and am so glad to
      know there is a book of this photographer's work. I will be ordering it soon
      and hope to see some family in there, or, at least, to be able to identify
      some of the photos I have.

      As is I am sure is the case with many of you, the Trlica photos--which have
      held up remarkably over time--are one of the main visual links I have with
      many family members I never knew. My grandmother treasured these photos very
      much and I am very honored to have them now.

      Also, does anyone with the book know if the Trlica studio's archives remain
      intact anywhere, and if it can be examined. I'm sure there are photos in
      there of my family I probably don't have. (Plus, if you see any photos with
      three nuns in them, I'd be willing to bet they're my great aunts, Sister
      Mary Pacifica, Sister Balbina and Sister George Marie Pekar).

      Vince Leibowitz
      Researching (when I've got the time): Kaminski, Dykowski, Kubeczka, Kupcak,
      Pekar,
    • Nbmachu@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 30, 2005
        Trlica's works - glass slides, film prints, studio equipment, and original ledgers- now reside at the Harry Ransom Humanities Research Center at the University of Texas, according to the Preface in the book.   You may enjoy reading the preface illustrating the way his works arrived at UT and were handled, and it also gives a genealogy story on the Trlica family.
        I talked with one of his grandsons last year, and he told me that there were more slides, etc. in the studio at the rear of their home in Granger.  Vandals broke into the studio and totally demolished the remaining slides, so the family scooped it all up and put it into a water well on the property and covered it with cement.  This story is not related in the book.  Has anyone else heard about the vandalism? Author of the book is Barbara McCandless.

      • Frances Barton
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 30, 2005
          Hello Vince--I have the book at home. It's wonderful, beautiful
          reproductions and very interesting foreword. I have a vague idea that
          the Trlica collection is at the Humanities Research Center at UT-Austin
          but I'm not positive. I'll check the credits in the book when I get home
          this evening and let you know. Frances Barton

          Vince Leibowitz wrote:

          >I've been on this list for some time, and though I read most all of the
          >posts, I rarely post myself, as my work has made me so busy in the past
          >couple of years that I haven't had much time for genealogy.
          >
          >Nevertheless, when I saw the subject line with the words "Trlica" and
          >"Photos" in it today, I just couldn't believe it, and really could not
          >believe there is a book about the man's work.
          >
          >On my hallway halls are no less than half a dozen Trlica photos--my
          >grandparents' wedding, my great-grandfather and grandmother and their
          >children (including my grandfather), my grandmother's first holy communion,
          >and a very elegant one of my grandmother in her teens.
          >
          >As I'm 1/4 Polish and 1/4 Czech, with my grandmother having been Polish
          >(Kaminski) and my grandfather Czech (Pekar), the photos I have are split
          >about 50/50 between Czech ancestors and Polish ones--and I probably have
          >several hundred in my grandmother's old trunk. My great-aunt probably has
          >twice as many. Ironically, many show the same "set" and same rug, which can
          >be seen getting more worn with time.
          >
          >I have always wondered about the history of the studio and am so glad to
          >know there is a book of this photographer's work. I will be ordering it soon
          >and hope to see some family in there, or, at least, to be able to identify
          >some of the photos I have.
          >
          >As is I am sure is the case with many of you, the Trlica photos--which have
          >held up remarkably over time--are one of the main visual links I have with
          >many family members I never knew. My grandmother treasured these photos very
          >much and I am very honored to have them now.
          >
          >Also, does anyone with the book know if the Trlica studio's archives remain
          >intact anywhere, and if it can be examined. I'm sure there are photos in
          >there of my family I probably don't have. (Plus, if you see any photos with
          >three nuns in them, I'd be willing to bet they're my great aunts, Sister
          >Mary Pacifica, Sister Balbina and Sister George Marie Pekar).
          >
          >Vince Leibowitz
          >Researching (when I've got the time): Kaminski, Dykowski, Kubeczka, Kupcak,
          >Pekar,
          >

          >Remember: You can alway set your account to Digest Mode for less mail.
          >

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Janet Carpenter
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 31, 2005

            Vince Leibowitz wrote:

            >I've been on this list for some time, and though I read most all of the
            >posts, I rarely post myself, as my work has made me so busy in the past
            >couple of years that I haven't had much time for genealogy.
            >
            >Nevertheless, when I saw the subject line with the words "Trlica" and
            >"Photos" in it today, I just couldn't believe it, and really could not
            >believe there is a book about the man's work.
            >
            >On my hallway halls are no less than half a dozen Trlica photos--my
            >grandparents' wedding, my great-grandfather and grandmother and their
            >children (including my grandfather), my grandmother's first holy communion,
            >and a very elegant one of my grandmother in her teens.
            >
            >As I'm 1/4 Polish and 1/4 Czech, with my grandmother having been Polish
            >(Kaminski) and my grandfather Czech (Pekar), the photos I have are split
            >about 50/50 between Czech ancestors and Polish ones--and I probably have
            >several hundred in my grandmother's old trunk. My great-aunt probably has
            >twice as many. Ironically, many show the same "set" and same rug, which can
            >be seen getting more worn with time.
            >
            >I have always wondered about the history of the studio and am so glad to
            >know there is a book of this photographer's work. I will be ordering it soon
            >and hope to see some family in there, or, at least, to be able to identify
            >some of the photos I have.
            >
            >As is I am sure is the case with many of you, the Trlica photos--which have
            >held up remarkably over time--are one of the main visual links I have with
            >many family members I never knew. My grandmother treasured these photos very
            >much and I am very honored to have them now.
            >
            >Also, does anyone with the book know if the Trlica studio's archives remain
            >intact anywhere, and if it can be examined. I'm sure there are photos in
            >there of my family I probably don't have. (Plus, if you see any photos with
            >three nuns in them, I'd be willing to bet they're my great aunts, Sister
            >Mary Pacifica, Sister Balbina and Sister George Marie Pekar).
            >
            >Vince Leibowitz
            >Researching (when I've got the time): Kaminski, Dykowski, Kubeczka, Kupcak,
            >Pekar,
            >

            >My parents have the book Equal Before the Lens and i do think there is a picture of 3 nuns in it. I know there are some Kaderka's in there. my grandparents had lots of Trlica photos as well. Their wedding photo was a Trlica photo. I remember seeing the rug in a lot of their photos they had. I think my mother got some of the photos after my grandmother passed away.

            Janet Carpenter.

            Researching (when i have the time too) Kaderka.

            >Remember: You can alway set your account to Digest Mode for less mail.
            >

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Dolores Miller
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 31, 2005
              Hi Frances Barton,
              Didn't the Trlicas live just down the street from you grandparents and the Czech Moravian Church?

              Dolores Miller <texassanta5@...>

              Vince Leibowitz wrote:

              >I've been on this list for some time, and though I read most all of the
              >posts, I rarely post myself, as my work has made me so busy in the past
              >couple of years that I haven't had much time for genealogy.
              >
              >Nevertheless, when I saw the subject line with the words "Trlica" and
              >"Photos" in it today, I just couldn't believe it, and really could not
              >believe there is a book about the man's work.
              >
              >On my hallway halls are no less than half a dozen Trlica photos--my
              >grandparents' wedding, my great-grandfather and grandmother and their
              >children (including my grandfather), my grandmother's first holy communion,
              >and a very elegant one of my grandmother in her teens.
              >
              >As I'm 1/4 Polish and 1/4 Czech, with my grandmother having been Polish
              >(Kaminski) and my grandfather Czech (Pekar), the photos I have are split
              >about 50/50 between Czech ancestors and Polish ones--and I probably have
              >several hundred in my grandmother's old trunk. My great-aunt probably has
              >twice as many. Ironically, many show the same "set" and same rug, which can
              >be seen getting more worn with time.
              >
              >I have always wondered about the history of the studio and am so glad to
              >know there is a book of this photographer's work. I will be ordering it soon
              >and hope to see some family in there, or, at least, to be able to identify
              >some of the photos I have.
              >
              >As is I am sure is the case with many of you, the Trlica photos--which have
              >held up remarkably over time--are one of the main visual links I have with
              >many family members I never knew. My grandmother treasured these photos very
              >much and I am very honored to have them now.
              >
              >Also, does anyone with the book know if the Trlica studio's archives remain
              >intact anywhere, and if it can be examined. I'm sure there are photos in
              >there of my family I probably don't have. (Plus, if you see any photos with
              >three nuns in them, I'd be willing to bet they're my great aunts, Sister
              >Mary Pacifica, Sister Balbina and Sister George Marie Pekar).
              >
              >Vince Leibowitz
              >Researching (when I've got the time): Kaminski, Dykowski, Kubeczka, Kupcak,
              >Pekar,
              >

              >My parents have the book Equal Before the Lens and i do think there is a picture of 3 nuns in it. I know there are some Kaderka's in there. my grandparents had lots of Trlica photos as well. Their wedding photo was a Trlica photo. I remember seeing the rug in a lot of their photos they had. I think my mother got some of the photos after my grandmother passed away.

              Janet Carpenter.

              Researching (when i have the time too) Kaderka.

              >Remember: You can alway set your account to Digest Mode for less mail.
              >

              >Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Frances Barton
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 31, 2005
                Hi Dolores--Yes, my grandmother (Albina Mikulencak Barton) always said they lived next door. I presume she meant to the south of the Granger Brethren parsonage. I have many Trlica photographs; he was exceptional. Frances