Christmas Traditions

  • Kotrla RJ (Richard)
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 8, 2000
      Christmas Traditions

      Dear Czechlisters:

      I know I am a "johnny-come-lately" on this discussion, but it sure would be great if we shared with one another Christmas traditions we have grown up with as Czechs, and those traditions that our ancestors celebrated.

      Hope to see some good responses.

      Richard Kotrla

    • Mapetras5@aol.com
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 9, 2000
        Hello All,

        We too had the fish feast on Christmas Eve.  We would all pack up and go to
        GanGan's house and my grandfather would have the fish cooking outside.  The
        house filled with food and delicacies of all types.  At twilight we would all
        eat and then afterwards open our presents.

        The only thing we did different was a toast to Chr-st.  We all even the
        tiniest ones had a small glass, mabey a sip, of a dark red room temperature
        wine.  Then a prayer was said and a toast drank.  I wonder if this was
        something our family did or a tradition from the old country.  My GanGan was
        born in Moravia so perhaps.

        Well Night All,
        Kathie in TX
      • Mary Holy
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 2, 2001
          Here is one tradition that was printed in the recipe book, "Generations to Generation-Czech Foods, Customs and Traditions, Texas Style", printed in 1980.

          Christmas decorations do not go up until the 8th of December (Feast of the Immaculate Conception).  Christmas decorations do not come down until January 6th (Feast of the Epiphany.)

          I have been doing this tradition since my kids where little.

          Mary (Soukup) Holy
          Researching
          Holy-Smajstrla-Hutrya-Michna-Mashek
          Novotny-Kvasnica-Reman-Cizek-Bararek-Bordsky
          Soukup-Kracmer-Hegr-Hlavaty-Hynesova-Horejosove-Knedle
          Petr-Petter-Kubala-Matus-Bacova-Bacza-Baca-Klimickova-Vojtkova-Krenek

        • Susan Rektorik Henley
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 2, 2001
            Mary (Soukup) Holy wrote:
            >Christmas decorations do not go up until the 8th of December (Feast of the Immaculate Conception).  Christmas decorations do not come down until January 6th (Feast of the Epiphany.)<

            When I was growing up, my mother would take us to purchase our Christmas tree on the Feast of the Immaculate Conception.  I still remember those two special days, the Eve of Saint Nicholas when I would put a stocking out and it would be filled with fruit, nuts, and other goodies; and, then, the 8th when we would go to select our tree.

            My sisters and I all carried on the St. Nicholas stocking tradition with our children.  Many school mates of my children could never figure out why St. Nick came to our house and not theirs.

            Susan
          • Richard Garza
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 2, 2001
              Hi Mary,
              Wonder if December 8 is a Texas adaptation or something from the
              old country? In the European tradition, our parents wouldn't put up the
              tree until Christmas Eve and later we'd open our presents (just a few as
              we'd save some for Christmas Day as part of the U.S. version).
              My friend from Prague bemoans the fact that you can't find a
              fresh Christmas tree during the week of Christmas that will last till Tri
              Kralove (Epiphany/Three King's Day). Nowadays it seems they must harvest
              the trees in October.
              Again, thanks for the info.
              Rick Garza

              -SNIP-
              On Sun, 2 Dec 2001 17:34:00 -0600 "Mary Holy"
              <maryadonf@...> writes:
              Here is one tradition that was printed in the recipe book, "Generations
              to Generation-Czech Foods, Customs and Traditions, Texas Style", printed
              in 1980.

              Christmas decorations do not go up until the 8th of December (Feast of
              the Immaculate Conception). Christmas decorations do not come down until
              January 6th (Feast of the Epiphany.)
              -SNIP-
              GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
              http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
            • moraw_gerik@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 3, 2001
                Mary,

                I saw on your list of surnames that are some of the ones that I am
                researching. They include: Smajstrla, Hlavaty, Petter, and Baca. I
                have tried to find more about the people associated with these
                surnames and have had little luck. Maybe you can help me.

                Mariana Baca - my gggrandmother - born 5 Sept 1866
                Martin Petter - married Julie Gerik, daugther of Frank and Mariana
                (Baca) Gerik, I have their daugther, and family but not the
                parents of Martin
                Antonia Hlavaty - married Peter Geryk/Gerik - son of Frank and
                Mariana (Baca) Gerik
                JoAnn Smajstrla - married John Lee Gerik

                If any of these names sound familiar, let me know.

                Heather
              • barbi grl
                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 5, 2001
                  that happened at my house too!! i thought i was sooo
                  cool as a kid b/c we got 2 days of goodies! :)
                  here in the cz.rep. tonight (dec 5) devils are going
                  around town reading to kids what they did bad (but you
                  have to be careful b/c many have been drinking
                  staropramen or pilsner all night, so they might chase
                  you!) really cool to see this.

                  --- Susan Rektorik Henley <srektorik@...>
                  wrote:
                  > Mary (Soukup) Holy wrote:
                  >
                  > >Christmas decorations do not go up until the 8th of
                  > December (Feast of the Immaculate Conception).
                  > Christmas decorations do not come down until January
                  > 6th (Feast of the Epiphany.)<
                  >
                  > When I was growing up, my mother would take us to
                  > purchase our Christmas tree on the Feast of the
                  > Immaculate Conception. I still remember those two
                  > special days, the Eve of Saint Nicholas when I would
                  > put a stocking out and it would be filled with
                  > fruit, nuts, and other goodies; and, then, the 8th
                  > when we would go to select our tree.
                  >
                  > My sisters and I all carried on the St. Nicholas
                  > stocking tradition with our children. Many school
                  > mates of my children could never figure out why St.
                  > Nick came to our house and not theirs.
                  >
                  > Susan

                  http://shopping.yahoo.com
                • Leona M. Urbish, Ph.D.
                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 5, 2001
                    And, to me too! I still remember how special it was to get the fruit
                    (that seems to have tasted so sweet then, which you can't seem to find
                    in the stores now), and most special of all was to get walnuts. We
                    always had pecan trees around, so we always had pecans (I remember
                    cracking them with a hammer and peeling them for pies and cookies and
                    tops of cakes), but walnuts were exotic!

                    Leona
                    *****

                    Leona M. Urbish, Ph.D., Director
                    Office of Institutional Research
                    Rice University
                    P. O. Box 1892
                    Houston, TX 77251-1892
                    713-348-6258 (o) - 713-348-6252 (fax)

                    wrote:
                    > Mary (Soukup) Holy wrote:
                    >
                    > >Christmas decorations do not go up until the 8th of
                    > December (Feast of the Immaculate Conception).
                    > Christmas decorations do not come down until January
                    > 6th (Feast of the Epiphany.)<
                    >
                    > When I was growing up, my mother would take us to
                    > purchase our Christmas tree on the Feast of the
                    > Immaculate Conception. I still remember those two
                    > special days, the Eve of Saint Nicholas when I would
                    > put a stocking out and it would be filled with
                    > fruit, nuts, and other goodies; and, then, the 8th
                    > when we would go to select our tree.
                    >
                    > My sisters and I all carried on the St. Nicholas
                    > stocking tradition with our children. Many school
                    > mates of my children could never figure out why St.
                    > Nick came to our house and not theirs.
                    >
                    > Susan

                    Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                  • Leroy Janda
                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 5, 2001
                      My grandparents had several black walnut trees, and were they ever hard to
                      crack, almost had to use a sledge hammer.
                      But the nuts were well worth the pain.

                      wrote:
                      > Mary (Soukup) Holy wrote:
                      >
                      > >Christmas decorations do not go up until the 8th of
                      > December (Feast of the Immaculate Conception).
                      > Christmas decorations do not come down until January
                      > 6th (Feast of the Epiphany.)<
                      >
                      > When I was growing up, my mother would take us to
                      > purchase our Christmas tree on the Feast of the
                      > Immaculate Conception. I still remember those two
                      > special days, the Eve of Saint Nicholas when I would
                      > put a stocking out and it would be filled with
                      > fruit, nuts, and other goodies; and, then, the 8th
                      > when we would go to select our tree.
                      >
                      > My sisters and I all carried on the St. Nicholas
                      > stocking tradition with our children. Many school
                      > mates of my children could never figure out why St.
                      > Nick came to our house and not theirs.
                      >
                      > Susan

                      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    • paulasmaggie
                      Message 10 of 19 , Dec 23, 2008
                        From my penpal Erika in Moravia she wrote of three traditions. One of
                        them I have read about on line the golden pig, the other two I have not.
                        Their tradition meal is carp. They have potato salad with it. The
                        other is interesting. They take a piece of lead, put it above the
                        fire, and then into water. From this a shape has formed that will tell
                        you something about the future. Has anyone heard of this tradition?
                        paulasmaggie
                      • SHines
                        Message 11 of 19 , Dec 23, 2008
                          I can't say I'm very familiar with Czech traditions, but I am familiar with
                          the hot lead in water method of scrying (fortune telling). I have also read
                          of the Christmas meal of carp. But only read about it, not experienced nor
                          heard of it from my family.

                          Sally

                          Message 12 of 19 , Dec 23, 2008
                            I know for sure we never had carp in our house!  If my Dad caught a perch or something in the creek, we'd eat that, but not for Christmas either.  I can't say I've ever eaten carp either?  Maybe I'd like it, don't know?  I like most seafood except oysters!

                            Have not heard of the lead tradition.

                            Wes and I wish everyone on the Czech Group a very Merry Christmas!!  Have a safe one if you're traveling.

                            later, Julie

                            Julie & Wes Matus

                            Researching:
                            Herzik, Korenek, Toman, Dybala
                            Matus, Kubala, Grossman, Krenek

                            Message 13 of 19 , Dec 23, 2008
                              http://www.radio.cz/en/article/98585
                              This website has some Christmas traditions explained. The lead is away
                              of predicting your fortune. Another way is to float a walnut shell
                              with a candle on water, young ladies would throw a shoe to see if they
                              would get married that year, On St. Barbara's day young ladies would
                              put cherry twigs in water if they would bloom by Christmas eve she
                              would get married that year. Lastly, cutting an apple to see if you
                              would have a good fortune.

                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgeKhz6Py_o
                              Czech Christmas traditions

                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gd3cOe4MLZQ
                              Czech Christmas dinner in English

                              Carp has a bad reputation in the United States as a bad/unappetizing
                              fish but in the Czech Republic it is a delicacy. There are many
                              freshwater man made holding lakes in southern Bohemia where they raise
                              these fish for Christmas.

                              My grandpa would buy two or three carp and put them in the bathtub
                              until judgment day on Christmas eve. In the mean time, my mom and her
                              brothers would play with the carp in the bathtub.

                              http://www.radio.cz/en/html/carp.html

                            • sissonltd@comcast.net
                              Message 14 of 19 , Dec 23, 2008
                                Carp is tradional, but I believe so is Goose.  Also, our family gathered and opened presents on Christmas Eve...also traditional at home.  Can't say if this is true Czech tradition....

                                Message 15 of 19 , Dec 23, 2008
                                  Maybe in the US but in the Czech Republic the majority have carp on
                                  Christmas Eve. Goose is served on St. Vaclav day

                                • sissonltd@comcast.net
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Dec 23, 2008
                                    Shines, I can't remember right off why mother did this, but she would give all of us an apple at Christmas and each apple would be cut horizontally across the middle to show the shape of a star....we really used to look forward to it seeing who had the best star shape in their apple...not sure where this came from or its significance...it has been many many years since our family has gotten together like that with so many now gone from among us.

                                    From: "Jana Vaculik" <janavaculik@...>

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Dec 23, 2008
                                      sissonltd

                                      My mother and her parents were not observing Christians. Grandpa Bursik was
                                      a practicing atheist. But they did cut the apple, it was the Christmas star,
                                      or Evening star. I've read about this Christmas star story in many parts of
                                      central and northern Europe.

                                      Mom's family were a lot of kids, and always hungry. They ate their apples.

                                      Grandma Bursik, nee Slaby, was a gooseherd before coming to Nebraska from
                                      Czechoslovakia. Or so Mother told me. I do dearly love to eat goose. And
                                      they make excellent watch creatures. Very territorial and loud about
                                      announcing trespassers. Our geese would attack the neighborhood large dogs
                                      with no qualms, and those dogs quickly learned to beware the geese. They
                                      didn't molest us or our own dog. But then I think Ike was too smart to fall
                                      victim to their taunts.

                                      Sally

                                      From: "Jana Vaculik" <janavaculik@...>

                                      Maybe in the US but in the Czech Republic the majority have carp on
                                      Christmas Eve. Goose is served on St. Vaclav day

                                      --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, sissonltd@... wrote:

                                      > Carp is tradional, but I believe so is Goose. Also, our family
                                      gathered and opened presents on Christmas Eve...also traditional at
                                      home. Can't say if this is true Czech tradition....

                                      > From: "SHines" <shines@...>
                                      > I can't say I'm very familiar with Czech traditions, but I am
                                      familiar with
                                      > the hot lead in water method of scrying (fortune telling). I have
                                      also read
                                      > of the Christmas meal of carp. But only read about it, not
                                      experienced nor
                                      > heard of it from my family.
                                      >
                                      > Sally
                                    • Julie Matus
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Dec 23, 2008
                                        This site has some interesting info.

                                        From: "Jana Vaculik" <janavaculik@ hotmail.com>

                                      • sissonltd@comcast.net
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Dec 23, 2008
                                          Thank you so much for sharing that, Sally; I do appreciate it.  Now it is making sense to me the reason for the star inside the apple.  At Christmas we always had mother, her two sisters and their families (cousins) together at our house or theirs is when we would have the apples cut.  Mother and sisters of course were Czech, daddy and uncles were not, but we all enjoyed this anyway.

                                          Grandpa was born Roman Catholic in Halenkovice, Moravia and grandma's family from Cermna, Bohemia were Brethren.  I do not ever remember them being involved with any churchs locally where they lived in TX but they always took part in Sokol, community affairs and grandpa with SPJST among others. I still have his 50 year pin and his Sokol button/fob he used to wear. Grandma was always contributing time and money to the homeless and hungry.  She was a generous soul with a big heart.

                                          Geese make the best watchdogs you are right.  My husbands grandfather kept two geese named Pete and Pepep to guard his garden and front yard and nothing got past them; and Grandpa Smith lived in Providence, Rhode Island!  I never did appreciate a goose until I learned what they were capable of and they are not just for feeding in the park or having for dinner!

                                          Thank you so much for sharing; you made my day!  Kathleen

                                          From: "Jana Vaculik" <janavaculik@ hotmail.com>