Ocker Brethren Church

  • John L. Mikeska
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 15 3:14 PM
      Attached are requested photos of Ocker Brethren Church, the church sign at front door, the Texas State Historical Marker and view of the Ocker Cemetery, located on south side of the church property.

      George Patrick, I sized the Historical Marker photo at 6 X 8 inches in hopes you might be able to print it out and read it with a magnifying glass, or possible use the special PC you have to enlarge the print.  A high school/army buddy has similar PC and it is wonderful!!!!

      For those not familiar with location of the Ocker Church, it is located south-east of Temple, probably 15 miles or so.  Seaton Brethren Church and cemetery is located on the same highway, probably 4 or 5 miles north of Ocker Brethren, towards Temple, TX.

      It was a cloudy-bright day when photos weer made.  Sorry about quality.

      Sir John, Earl of Berkshire
    • texasczech2000
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 27, 2007
        Does anyone have access to this church? I know that a lot of the
        entries are not in English, but I was hoping if someone could look up
        all the information on Hruska. My GreatGrandmother Anna Martinez Hruska
        is buried in their cemetery. What I was wondering, if there were any
        baptisms, marriages and deaths listed on the church records.
      • phejl@totalaccess.net
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 27, 2007
          Do you have dates or approximate dates? I'll see if I can find someone who
          might know if the early church kept records or if the records were kept by the
          pioneer ministers. Some of these early ministers' records have been published
          by the Czech Heritage Society in the "Czech Footprints..." series.

        • libarc2003
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 27, 2007
            Stephan Hruska - Anna Martinec

            The Bell County Book, Vol I has a nice write up on this family. I
            also found info in the CMB obituaries. The Ocker CMB church was not
            established until 1892 by Rev. Adolf Chlumsky so births/baptisms of
            children born earlier would not have been there.

            This is data I found for some their children who were born in Texas

            Jan Hruska was born 1876 in Fayetteville, baptized 1876 (no date
            given)in the Ross Prairie church (now Fayetteville Brethren) by Rev
            Jindrich Juren.

            Stepan Josef born 1878 in Fayetteville, baptized by Rev. Jindrich
            Juren on 11 03 1878 at Ross Prairie church, sponsors Jan Batla and
            wife Anna as recorded in the Ross Prairie Register Records. He
            married Anna Lesikar in 1901 and records of some of their children
            are in Rev. Chlumsky's register records.

            Emilie Louisa born 1883 was married first to a Kolar and then to my
            grandfather's brother John Reznicek and she is buried at Seaton.
            Wesley Register Records indicate she was born in Ocker and baptised
            Dec 21 1890 by Rev. Lacjak, sponsors were Jan Batla and Marie
            Ventrcek but it does not say where.

            The Czech Heritage Society of Texas Library in Houston has these
            published register records as do many of the Brethren churches. See
            www.czechheritage.org for additional information on location, etc.

            Hope this info helps.
          • texasczech2000
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 4, 2008
              --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, phejl@... wrote:

              > Do you have dates or approximate dates? I'll see if I can find
              someone who
              > might know if the early church kept records or if the records were
              kept by the
              > pioneer ministers. Some of these early ministers' records have been
              published
              > by the Czech Heritage Society in the "Czech Footprints..." series.

              It took me a while to find the information on my Hruska's.
              I need any information on:
              1. Johana Hruska who was born November 15, 1866 in Jablunka and died
              January 26 1931 in Cameron, Milam Co.
              She married John Balta in 1885
              2. Anna Hruska born March 2, 1871 in Jablunka and died January 30,
              1963. She married Frank Charles Wojtek
              3. John Hruska born 1876 in Ross Prarie
              4. Stephan Joseph Hruska born 1878 in Ross Praire
              5. Louis Hruska dates unknown.
              6. Emilie Hruska dates unknown married Joe Kovar
              7 Theresia Hruska born February 19, 1912 and married John Zatopek.
              Any help with baptisms, marriages or death records that the Brethren
              church might have will be helpful.

            • texasczech2000
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 4, 2008
                I found this information very useful. Thank you very much.
                Kay
                --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "libarc2003" <libarc2003@...>

              • phejl@totalaccess.net
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 6, 2008
                  I'll see what I can find. It may take me a little bit.

                • jerry
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 7, 2008

                    I Appreciate the help   Where are u located  and do u recommend any travel groups to the Czech Republic this summer

                    I'll see what I can find. It may take me a little bit.

                    This mail sent through IMP: http://horde. org/imp/